PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to wait until spring/summer?

three
01-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Am I correct to assume that I should not bother to begin looking for a new bike until the weather changes (due to a likely inability to test-ride it)??? I'm planning to buy my first road bike and my excitement to have said bike has me a bit impatient. I'm wondering if the weather takes the choice out of my hands.

And, for local Twin Cities folks - do you recommend any shop over others? I'm most concerned with finding someone who is good at fitting bikes for female riders.

Thanks.

Zen
01-03-2008, 08:26 PM
You should start now, you'll probably get a nice enough day for a test and once you choose it might take a while to get it. Then you'll be chomping at the bit. Every time you see someone ride by you'll be saying "I want my bike! I want my bike!"

RoadRaven
01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm with Zen on this Spins.

I think you start looking at bikes now. They can be set up indoors on trainers in the LBS's for you so you can "get a feel" for whether the frame is the right size, or the handlebars are narrow/wide enough

Then, come good weather and ability to "test-drive" you will have narrowed down your choices so you have just your favourites to choose from...

*Rave puts on her horns and red cape*
...then, decide your favourite three and buy.... ALL THREE!!!!
Bwahahahahahahaha...

KnottedYet
01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
*Rave puts on her horns and red cape*
...then, decide your favourite three and buy.... ALL THREE!!!!
Bwahahahahahahaha...

I like the way you think!!!:D

Thorn
01-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Now. Start now.

A couple of reasons...first, you need to get out there and start interviewing the bike shops. Can you work with them? Will they work with you? Do they treat you like a wise consumer or...sigh...like a dumb girl? They're not as busy right now so they'll have time to talk.

Get the bikes on the trainer and see how they feel. Get a fit done so that you know what bikes you should be looking at. You can start to narrow down the field (and the field is big).

And, you can still test ride in winter. I live in Wisconsin--we're a little warmer than you, but when the roads clear a little you can get a test ride in. I won't ride in snow (no sense of balance) and I won't ride in bitter cold, but in between the big snow falls you could get in a short test ride to start to feel the differences between frame geometries and materials.

Perhaps you won't want to make a final decision until spring, but having the field winnowed down to one or two would mean you'd get that bike sooner.

mimitabby
01-04-2008, 07:45 AM
not to mention that in the winter the bike shop is not so busy and they're going to be VERY HAPPY to see you!

three
01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Thank you!! Great advice from everyone - especially about using this time as an opportunity to "interview the bike shops"...I hadn't even thought about this from that perspective. I certainly don't want to be treated like a 'dumb girl'.

I'm on my way now to bike shop #1 to begin my search and narrowing the field of bikes AND LBS's...

...SO EXCITING!

Thank you very much!

RoadRaven
01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Keep us updated on what you try out, Spins

:)

northstar
01-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi there,

Definitely get out there now! There are some really good deals this time of year!

I have had good luck at Freewheel Bike down by Cedar/Riverside. I bought my road bike there last spring and people have always been wonderfully helpful when I've gone in.

Or, Behind Bars in NE Mpls is a smaller shop that has excellent service. They carry Kona, I know, but beyond that I'm not sure. It's small, but way cool. :cool: