PDA

View Full Version : Newton Shoes

Wahine
01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I just got a new pair of Newton shoes.:D

http://www.newtonrunning.com/shoe.php?s=009

Anyone else running in these? I'm totally pumped to try them out (even though they are very pink).:p

snapdragen
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM
My, aren't those festive! ;)

Zen
01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
The only new shoes I know about are these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlhPfFnstR4)

crazycanuck
01-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Madame wahine dear..You need to explain why you got the shoes ;)

Wahine
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
CC - *how* I got those shoes is not pertinent to the question at hand.;) And no... it did not involve any illegal activity.

teigyr
01-02-2008, 07:18 PM
They're Pepto Pink! Am intrigued, please review them after you've run in them.

With me I'd like to think shoes make a difference but I think, er, it's just me :o

So...the activity was legal then? Hmmm....

Wahine
01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
As a matter of fact Teigyr, I believe you may have aided and abetted in said activity. That makes you an accomplice. Of course is was all legal. ;)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

teigyr
01-02-2008, 11:28 PM
:D

ALL legal? I'm thinkin' there goes my reputation!!!

I still can't wait to see how you like them.

Aiding and abetting IS a lesser sentence, right?

Velobambina
01-03-2008, 12:54 AM
If you tend to pronate, be careful. After running in these shoes, I had a terrible case of achilles tendonitis that took about 6 weeks to go away (doctor visits, PT, anti-inflamm). I don't blame the shoes entirely--I think the main culprit was wearing Nike Free shoes for walking & general wear.

KSH
01-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I just got a new pair of Newton shoes.:D

http://www.newtonrunning.com/shoe.php?s=009

Anyone else running in these? I'm totally pumped to try them out (even though they are very pink).:p

Oh, those are the best ones I've seen yet. The other colors are so horrible, I wouldn't want to wear them.

I haven't tried them out. I'm not keen on the idea of buying a $150 shoe I can't try on first. I have some tri buddies who swear by them.

Let us know how it goes.

Wahine
01-05-2008, 04:10 PM
If you tend to pronate, be careful. After running in these shoes, I had a terrible case of achilles tendonitis that took about 6 weeks to go away (doctor visits, PT, anti-inflamm). I don't blame the shoes entirely--I think the main culprit was wearing Nike Free shoes for walking & general wear.

The idea behind the Newton shoes is to force you into a forefoot strike. Biomechanically this allows more of your muscular output to go into moving forward. The other side of that is they do require more effort from the calf. This is good if you want to run faster, not good if you're prone to achilles tendon problems.

I plan on using them for short track workouts only initially.

ETA: I haven't used them yet. I'm waiting for some better weather to do an interval workout at the track.

knapplaura
01-06-2008, 06:16 AM
I have a pair of Newtons. I put speed laces in them and have only used them for sprint triathlons and short brick runs. Longest run in them is maybe 4 miles?

I pronate, so I put my Sole Comfort inserts in them for more arch support. I like them ok, but I have been afraid to try a long run in them. I use Brooks Trance for my long runs. They are comfortable, and so light! That is why I like them for brick runs. Especially when I am doing the run off a long bike. A really heavy shoe then is hard to take!

I do suggest easing into them. I have some friends that have used them for Ironman, but I don't think I will. I did really feel good in them during the tri's I did last summer, but again may be due to their light weight. I am usually in much heavier shoes.

Will be interested to hear your experience w/them!
Laura

Running Mommy
01-06-2008, 06:35 AM
I agree with Laura, break them in slowly mileage wise. Esp. if you are not a purely nuetral runner. - But heck, maybe you are?? what do I know??
The reason why I say this is, I happened to be talking shoes with an industry rep recently.He mentioned that there were a lot of blister problems at kona this year from a certain "new high dollar shoe". So I took that to mean newtons. Tho I do know there is one other high $$ brand that's come on the scene recently.
I like the technical aspects of newtons (forcing you up on your forefoot), but as I said to the rep "I'm not worthy of a 150.00 shoe. That would be like wearing a TT aero helmet and averaging 16-17 mph on the bike." :p

Tho it would be nice not to have to strap on the bricks I wear now after being out there all day! :rolleyes:

KSH
01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I use Brooks Trance for my long runs. They are comfortable, and so light! That is why I like them for brick runs. Especially when I am doing the run off a long bike. A really heavy shoe then is hard to take!

Laura

WOW... gosh, I tried the Brooks Trance and they felt like rocks on my feet compared to my Brooks Adrenalin (? spelling). My lower legs hurt so bad after about a mile. I had to stop running in the Trance.

Just goes to show... everyone is different... eh?

I will say that I liked that they were very supportive and I didn't feel the ground as much in them.

KSH
01-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I like the technical aspects of newtons (forcing you up on your forefoot), but as I said to the rep "I'm not worthy of a 150.00 shoe. That would be like wearing a TT aero helmet and averaging 16-17 mph on the bike." :p

Tho it would be nice not to have to strap on the bricks I wear now after being out there all day! :rolleyes:

Well, the new running form is to land on your forefoot... but all the shoes out there are for heel strikers. I don't need cushion in my HEEL... I don't land on my HEEL... I with the shoe manufacturers... other than Newton... would get with the game.

A long run in a shoe with very little padding for the forefoot... is a hard run. I bought some insoles to provide more padding, but again... most of the cushion is in the heel. UGH.

But yea... I don't see myself spending $150 on pair of running shoes... unless I can try them on. Hey, I'm slow as a turtle, but if they make running enjoyable... I'll pay the money.

OakLeaf
01-07-2008, 03:55 AM
I with the shoe manufacturers... other than Newton... would get with the game.

Chi Running is sponsored by New Balance, so all their shoe recommendations are for NB models, but they have a nice chart (http://www.chirunning.com/shop/pages.php?tab=r&pageid=18&id=337) of recommended models for midfoot strikers.

I see on the Newton website that they do have models designed for pronators. But as hard as my feet are to fit, I wouldn't order anything I hadn't tried on, either.

ETA: I'm actually trying to move my strike back, as I was very much a forefoot striker. Between this and other Chi Running form corrections - reducing my step height in aerobics :( - never going barefoot in the house - self massage of trigger points in the posterior tibialis - and night splinting, my Achilles tendons are becoming happier, slowly, slowly.

KnottedYet
01-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm a mid-foot striker and a hugely sloppy pronator. Brooks Ariels/Beasts and Addictions work so well with my feet they are the only running shoe I buy anymore. Once you find a shoe that works for you, don't lose it!

I was worried when Adidas's holding company bought Brooks, I thought they might change the shoes. Luckily they've stayed the same. I'd hate to have to go searching for a new running shoe!

KSH
01-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I was worried when Adidas's holding company bought Brooks, I thought they might change the shoes. Luckily they've stayed the same. I'd hate to have to go searching for a new running shoe!

AH! No wonder my Brooks Adrenaline were redesigned and the new model didn't fit me the same. I bought the narrow and they still slip off my feet some. Whereas with the older model, I didn't buy narrow and they fit my feet just fine.

Wahine
01-12-2008, 09:52 AM
So I used the Newtons for a 3.25 mi treadmill run. I didn't have any issues but I wouldn't want to use them for a longer distance until I had a chance to build things up a up.

They felt really good in terms of foot strike on my left but they emphasized the fact that I don't land properly on my forefoot on the right. That's kinda cool because it helped me think about it and adjust a bit, but it was tiring, hence why I wouldn't use them for a longer run. Looking at the soles after the run, I could see where I'm still striking too much towards my heel on the right and how that causes me to put on the brakes a bit.

They are super light and feel like nothing on your feet. I tend to get sore at the ball of my foot at times and you would think that they would make that worse but it actually felt like I had more cushioning there and it was comfortable. My fore foot splays alot in weight bearing but the toe box is quite spacious and I had no problems with that.

As for effort, my heart rate was a little lower than expected given my pace but it's hard to compare because it was a treadmill run after all.

I can't wait to try them out at the track.

knapplaura
01-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Wahine,
Curious how the Newtons are doing for you.

I just came down with another injury (groan)....inflammed 3rd metatarsal head. No running for 2 weeks, I got orthotics to try, and I showed my podiatrist the Newtons on the internet. He said, hey, they may help, since that is where I put most of my 'force' on impact.

I am very interested in your thoughts on running longer with them. I just can't get over in my head that they feel like racing flats or my Nike Frees (that I don't run in).

Thanks,
Laura

Wahine
01-23-2008, 08:22 AM
My second and third MT heads get inflammed sometimes too so I should be able to give you some good feed back on that. I've only wore them the once so far on the tread mill. Weather's been bad here and when I'm outside right now I'm in trailshoes. I'll hopefully get a chance soon to try them on the track. It's not looking promising this week though.

The one time I did wear them they felt pretty good in the MT head area so I'm enthusiastic. Of course running on a treadmill is very different from running outside on the road.

I'll let you know.

spindizzy
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Those shoes are about as pretty as the ones I've started running in! Used to run in Brooks Glycerin, but Physio hubby wanted to see me in more of a motion control shoe. I have changed my running style to forefoot strike as well.

Anyway, off to local running shop and came home with Karhus (yes the cross country ski people in Finland!) I was skeptical. Asked how long they had been making shoes. It turns out a very long time. Seems some big North American running shoe maker has previously taken their engineering and applied it to their running shoes. Anyway, it was a very expensive purchase for the most hideous colour of green I have ever worn. I joked to my coach that they would make me run faster so that no one could see the colour.

Anyway, they have been perfect for me. I was concerned that there was no forefoot cushioning, but have had no problems and have done about 600k on them. The only thing that I don't like about them is that the heel seems to roll over a bit when you put your foot in the shoe which I could see adding irritating seconds to my transition times.

http://www.karhurunning.com/?page=Product&i18n=en_US&ca=mseries&cCat=27&shp=105