PDA

View Full Version : Large sized cold weather Pants?

Kpicha
08-19-2002, 04:06 AM
Hi all,
I'm starting to do some shopping for cool weather riding and being on the short but heavy side, I'm having a hard time finding pants that might fit. I'm not looking for tights (seeing that I don't have the shape for them and I still have my postpartum belly:( ) I've checked Terry and they only have tights.

What do most of you wear? Any suggestions on where I can find large sizes?

Thanks in advance!
Kristina

ayermail2
08-19-2002, 03:05 PM
I usually wear my bike shorts with a pair of windpants (from Target) over them (of course, the ankle strap goes on with those!). Being considerably further north than I (though not like all the NW's and Canadians!), you may want to consider tights if you can find a pair that fits well, and wear the windpants over them...

I've ridden like this in December / January & February...(but then again - I'm in North Carolina!)

Kpicha
08-19-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks, that's a great idea!

newfsmith
11-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Google search for Title9. They have a lot of women's sport wear, including windfront pants. These are a nice option for snow or moderate rain.

Veronica
11-21-2002, 05:07 PM
I got a nice pair of training pants from Title 9 last year, mostly for walking the dog at night and early morning. Wore them on the Tahoe Century last year when it was a chilly 27 degrees at the start of the ride. They had a not snug fit, but not exactly loose either.

You might try leg warmers, that's what I decided to get for this winter, since I'd like to have a little less wind resistance and
I didn't care for tights over shorts - it felt too bulky. Their sight is

www.title9sports.com

Irulan
11-28-2002, 02:47 PM
Right now mt biking in 30-50 F weather, I'm wearing heavy tights (9 oz lycra) over heavy shorts... I'm not as fast on the trails as someone might be on the road. For when it gets colder I'm thinking about trying some of my climbing pants made out of Schoeller Dryskin.Heck if I can ski in 'em, why not bike? They've got a good cut too.
Irulan

repto
03-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I know this is a late posting to the subject, but I do a *lot* of winter riding in Chicago. I'm pregnant and large, so finding winter-savvy clothing hasn't been easy this year. For me, the most effective technique is to layer. I have a couple of pair of the Terry winter tights which I wear with nothing else until the temps are below freezing. Between 20° and 32°, I add a pair of cheapy nylon 'wind' pants from Target. If the temps drop below this or there are strong winds (creating tough windchill), I add a layer of lycra leg warmers with a fleecy liner on the inside. These go over the tights and under the wind pants. I find that my weak point is my knees. If they get cold I'm miserable, hence the leg warmers. So far, this has been all that I need to stay warm in even the worst, snowiest, blowiest conditions.

For tops, I usually wear a bike jersey or sport tee shirt with a fleece hoodie over that (try to avoid cotton due to it's clammy coldness when damp). I've found that nursing sweatshirts are awesome since they have an extra layer of fabric in the front--perfect for biking. The next layer is an LL Bean waterproof windbreaker. This is made of Goretex but has some stretch through the shoulders for a more comfortable fit. There is no lining on it since I usually get pretty warm after about 5 minutes of pedaling. It does have a hood that I use when it rains or when it's really cold. I also ride with windproof (but unlined) gloves.

For really brutal cold, I add another *very* thin Goretex type windbreaker over the first, I add earmuffs (the kind that go around your neck, not over your head) or earpops. Never wear earrings, btw! They conduct the cold right to your core. I do have a neck gaiter/balaclava thingie that I've used a couple of times when the wind has kicked up during a ride.

I know Chicago riders who use lobster claw gloves, but I've never needed these to keep my hands warm. Lots of times I strip the gloves off altogether because I'm getting too hot.

The only exception to the above layering system is when I'm doing Critical Mass rides. Since they tend to be at night, and at a slow pace, I find that I can get chilled. In this case, I just wear my regular winter parka.

Hope this helps--
Jane <----who had to deal with another 1/2 inch of snow today...

Kpicha
03-09-2003, 03:47 AM
Hi Jane,
Well, first off, Congratulations on your pregnancy! When are you due? I hope its going well. I played basketball until I was 5 months pregnant with my 3rd but stopped biking pretty early into my 4th one. I just didn't have a good feeling about it. At any rate, its great to see someone else staying active during pregancy! It'll make a huge difference down the road during labor, delivery and recovery;although, you probably already know this :)

Thanks for all the tips on staying warm. I did manage to find some loose fitting tights/pants from L.L. Bean that have worked out well and they're actually flattering. That's a pretty tough order to fill at this time :) I actually find that riding in 30-35 degree weather is most comfortable. I found a RaceFace Aquanot jacket that is incredibly warm but unfortunately, doesn't breathe very well so, I end up getting cold and clammy after an hour or so. Luckily, that's about all I have the energy i have to ride for anyway.

It seems that winter is on its way out now, Yippee! After, almost 3ft of snow this year, I've had enough!

Cheers,
Kristina

repto
03-10-2003, 04:51 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kpicha
[B]Hi Jane,
Well, first off, Congratulations on your pregnancy! When are you due? I hope its going well. I played basketball until I was 5 months pregnant with my 3rd but stopped biking pretty early into my 4th one. I just didn't have a good feeling about it. At any rate, its great to see someone else staying active during pregancy! It'll make a huge difference down the road during labor, delivery and recovery;although, you probably already know this :)>>

Thanks. I'm at 21 weeks. Half way through the pregnancy at this point.

I love biking while pregnant. I feel very comfortable while doing it, unlike fast walking which seems to put a lot of strain on my (now lax) belly muscles. Jogging is completely out of the picture for me due to some past injuries--not that I'd want to anyway. I still swim laps occasionally and will probably do more this summer when the pool opens (and I'm suitable huge, lol). At the end of the pregancy, doing laps in a pool is about the only time you feel graceful!

I'm continually amazed at how stunned people are when I tell them I exercise during pregnancy. I guess they would be okay with my doing yoga or something, but the thought of biking or swimming somehow seems to freak people out. Why is that? I find that exercise makes me sleep better, digest better, and just FEEL better when pregnant.

I also get bizarre looks when people find out that I bike commute my kids to their private preschool. You'd think riding 4 miles (8 miles r/t) was some Herculean feat, instead of the relaxing, enjoyable jaunt that I find it to be. It's a nice opportunity for me to talk to the kids, check out the neighborhood, enjoy the weather, the change of seasons, get some fresh air, and exercise...

I wish that people would get out of their metal cages and enjoy the world a bit! I laugh every time I see people circling through the parking lot of the local Gym looking for a close spot. They are paying all that money (for both the membership AND the car/gas/insurance) when they could be riding a bike, getting a great workout, enjoying the weather, and saving a lot of dough!

Jane