PDA

View Full Version : My first snowshoeing experience

Lifesgreat
12-28-2007, 08:29 AM
One word: F U N !!!!!!!

It was a sunny/foggy/sunny day with a temperature of 9F and a light wind from the north. There was about 2-3 feet of powder, but a snowmobile had cut a trail. Yellow and other Utahns, it was the Telephone Hollow trail just above Daniel's Summit in Wasatch County. The Forest Service maintains trails for skiers and snowshoers (that is what I choose to believe my tax dollars pay for :rolleyes:). Some trails allow snowmobiles too, so there is a mix.

DH and the kiddos tubed (which is hard to do in powder :o) while I tried out my new snowshoes. I didn't go far (spent about an hour total) because I was by myself on a new trail, but it was enough to get me hooked!

What I learned:
1. Next time, bring sunscreen. I forgot.
2. A base layer, good wool sweater and a down jacket are too warm for a 9 degree outing. I would have been fine with the base layer, sweater and a shell.
3. My new snowshoes rock! I read TE postings and got some MSR Denali Ascents.
4. My trail running shoes with gaiters were awesome. I wore Costco wool socks (4 pair for $10), Adidas goretex xcr trail shoes and gaiters. My feet NEVER got cold. The shoes were already broken in and so comfy.
5. I think I will wear mittens next time as my fingers got cold in my ski gloves.
6. I used my xc ski poles to help me up hills.
7. A polarfleece Buff worked great to keep my face warm.
8. My bottom half stayed warm with bike tights, cotton tights and some thicker, snowplay pants. Next time, I may wear some thinner snowpants as an outer layer.
9. Cold weather doesn't deter thirst and I was glad I had water with me.

I can hardly wait to go again! Why did it take me 25 years to discover snowshoeing???????? :mad:

LBTC
12-28-2007, 08:41 AM
LG - what a great post! So glad you enjoyed your first snowshoe experience! Yup, it is way too much fun! Enjoy!!

H&B
~T~

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-28-2007, 10:47 AM
I can hardly wait to go again! Why did it take me 25 years to discover snowshoeing???????? :mad:

And I was busy last year thinking "Why did it take me 35 years to discover biking and snowshoeing???" ;) :D

Yes, a great post with lots of good info!
I too find gaiters absolutely essential.
Congratulations on your successful maiden voyage! :p

yellow
12-29-2007, 04:57 PM
LG, another really nice place to go is up Mirror Lake Highway (http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/wcnf/unit/kamas/recreation/kamas-skiing-snowshoeing-trail-guide.pdf). There are snow machines there, too, but in our experience it's not too hard to get away from them.

And with the snow piling up on the Wasatch Front this year, you can pretty much shoe from any of the trailheads. We had a lovely snowshoe on Christmas Day (wasn't that a beautiful bluebird day??!!) right off of Emigration Canyon Road. There was easily 2 feet of fresh snow.

surgtech1956
12-30-2007, 01:08 PM
LG, now I can't wait to go out. It will also be my first time snowshoeing. We were suppose to get 5" Friday night and was ready to go Saturday morning, but barely got 3".