PDA

View Full Version : Running & Walking: 2007 milestones, 2008 goals

yellow
12-27-2007, 04:19 AM
:D

What were your 2007 running and walking highlights?

What are your 2008 running and walking goals?

KnottedYet
12-27-2007, 05:08 AM
I'd really like to run a 5k. Run the whole thing. Somehow I have to convince my knee that this is a good idea! :D

alpinerabbit
12-27-2007, 06:13 AM
The highlight would be joining the Tri Club and running with them more or less consistently, getting out of my comfort zone and seeing the improvement it has brought (however minor). And running more consistently by myself.
I :eek: believe I even saw some leg definition a while ago. Now it may have vanished due to a training break and christmas (I stuffed myself).

The low is probably the shin splints. Are the inlays doing their trick? Will find out after the break.

The primary 2008 goal: Half marathon in March. And perhaps another one in September.

froglegs
12-27-2007, 06:52 AM
My 2007 highlight was, um, starting to run again after months of slothfulness. And sticking with it for longer than ever before, as well as increasing to distances I previously did not think I was capable of.

My first 2008 goal is to do well in the half-marathon I am running on 1/20. I haven't decided what "do well" means yet. Other goals are to continue running regularly, and to compete in triathlons, lots and lots of triathlons.

kelownagirl
12-27-2007, 08:21 AM
2007 Highlights:

• I started running last January after spending years thinking I could not run.
• June 2007 - ran my first 5km race in 26:17. Came in 5th in my age group and 23rd overall. Had no aspirations to do anything more than 'finish' so I was ecstatic at my time.

Lowlights:

• Hip pain, shin pain, which stopped my running in the summer. Tried restarting several times but pain returned. I get my orthotics in January so hope the issue will be resolved.

2008 Goals:

• Return to running asap. Start slowly, build slowly. Work my way back up to 5km, then 10 km, and hopefully do half marathon in October.

• Duathlon in May.
• 5km race in June.
• Start swimming in January and do a triathlon in August.
• Okanagan half marathon (or 10km) in October.

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-27-2007, 10:02 AM
My 2008 fitness walking goal is to walk at least two brisk 4 mile walks a week, in addition to whatever biking I do. It keeps my hip joints flexible and pain free, for one thing...something that biking doesn't do.

Jo-n-NY
12-27-2007, 10:25 AM
We ordered a treadmill which I will alternate with my bike trainer. This will be a first since an began cycling consistantly 5 years ago. I am excited to have some variation.

I NEVER ran in my life except for what we had to do in gym which is more years ago than I care to figure. I expect to begin walking and "may" incorporate a bit if a jog. I am just so afraid of creating some pain somewhere if I begin to jog as with cycling I have none. So time will tell. I might just incorporate a fast walk with my indoor cycling.

~ JoAnn

yellow
12-28-2007, 03:11 AM
<<<>>>

Lowlights???? We will NOT focus on the negative here! No more "lowlights"!!!

Now, back to the conversation...

:p

<<<>>>

KSH
12-28-2007, 08:51 AM
2007 Highlights...

Let's see. I RAN. Didn't run in 2006 due to injuries. In 2006 I ran 85 miles ALL YEAR. In 2007 I ran 540 miles!

I even ran 2 half marathons training for my Half Ironman. Unfortuantely, my IT band flared up a month out from my race, so I didn't get to run in my Half Ironman.

This is the year of the IRONMAN for me.

I have to get to a point where I can walk/run 26 miles after riding 112 miles on my bike. I'm not sure how I'll do that... without injury (since it didn't really pan out for my half)... but I guess I'll find a way. That or I'll just walk really fast. HA!

kelownagirl
12-28-2007, 09:05 AM
<<<>>>

Lowlights???? We will NOT focus on the negative here! No more "lowlights"!!!

Now, back to the conversation...

:p

<<<>>>

LOL, sorry. :) :) The were 'relative' lowlights to be sure. More like minor frustations.

ummbnb
12-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Running for me is just about feeling good after a run. I think my days of fun runs and races are nearly over because I just don't get excited about participating anymore.

That said....

I just signed up to join a team at work to do a local Lung Association run up the steps of the tallest building in Denver, Republic Plaza. It's 55 floors iirc. Stair training starts tonight after work. The run is Feb. 24. We'll see how this goes :D My knees hurt just thinking about it!

OakLeaf
12-28-2007, 04:00 PM
2007: did the Chi Running workshop. I don't want to say it changed my life, but.. it changed my running life.

2008: signed up to run my first timed 5K the end of January (I did a totally untimed duathlon type thing last August, but this is real). I don't expect to be competitive and I know better than to try - I just want the T-shirt :cool:

Later in the year: continue running at least 1-2 days a week, continue feeling more comfortable on my feet.

anakiwa
12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
2007: Two slowest marathons ever (but did manage 2 marathons in 4 weeks and survived and finished Chicago).

2008 Goal: Run to enjoy myself and not focus on racing (I decided this at roughly mile 22 of marathon #2) :)

yellow
12-29-2007, 04:45 PM
It's nice to read everyone's highlights and goals. It's very inspiring.

KNOTTED: http://www.pctrailruns.com/Forest_Park.htm. It's not 5k, but note that hikers are welcome. You could run part of it. Soft. Pretty. And the PCTR folks put on an awesome event.

For me, 2007 taught me that running wasn't what I thought it was. My historic running life (pre-2003, which is when I pretty much quit before I started again in 2006) was on pavement only. Over the year I made the full transition to dirt (and snow) and have been amazed at how it's changed my body, my balance, and my attitude about running. I think I'm stronger and leaner now than I have EVER been in my life.

I'm not sure what my goals for 2008 are. There is a trail run near my folks' place in Cali that I would like to do in March so I can visit them and also do another wonderful PCTR event. That will keep me running through the winter as well. I'd also like to do a couple more 50k runs in the summer/fall. One might be the Speedgoat 50k (http://speedgoat50k.com/) in the mountains here. I think that will be a really tough one ("Race starts and ends at 8,100 feet above sea level and peaks at 11,000 feet" :eek:). I need to think pretty hard about that one.

I'm really grateful that I have such beautiful places to run and that my body seems happy with my new approach.

Here's hoping everyone has nothing but happy miles in 2008, no matter where you run or walk! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Leisures_and_Sports/running-093.gif

P.S. I forgot to add that I am also planning to do an Avon 2 day walk in Colorado with a friend in June. It's her motivation to get back in shape. So I'll be walking a lot with her this winter/spring as well.

teigyr
12-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Knot, St. Paddy's Day Dash! I'm doing it. It's about 4 miles or so. I noticed on these "fun runs", I feel downright fast and I'm not.

Let's see. I started running to finish sprint tri's without agony. I learned (after years of thinking I didn't due to previous competitive running drama) that I like it if it's on my terms. I don't know how many miles I ran last year but I was averaging around 10-12 miles a week as of last spring.

I got orthotics, got them adjusted, and each time I'd have to almost start over just due to new muscles being sore. I did a 5K in December and have no idea how I placed because it was huge! I finished in under 30 minutes which was good because the start was so lumbering slow I could barely run at all.

I signed up for a half marathon in May. I am worried but I think I'll be ok.

As of 1/1, I will start logging my training. That is my New Years resolution. DH is convinced a marathon is in my future. I'm not sure about that but he knows me well. I do get bored once I do something and it's no big deal. I always go for the larger challenges so I guess you never know.

snowtulip
12-30-2007, 11:35 AM
My goals keep changing, but since I just started running again, and I need time to get past this whole learning to swim thing:confused:, I'm going to keep my running goals short and simple.

Run 2x week - Once indoor (cuz it's cold!) and once on the trails. With a minimum 7 miles for the week. Doing a 5K with a friend in Feb.

Could increase once I get past the swim hurdle.

teigyr
12-30-2007, 03:12 PM
My goals keep changing, but since I just started running again, and I need time to get past this whole learning to swim thing:confused:, I'm going to keep my running goals short and simple.

Run 2x week - Once indoor (cuz it's cold!) and once on the trails. With a minimum 7 miles for the week. Doing a 5K with a friend in Feb.

Yeah, I know how that is. Trust me on this. I went through that "omg, the tri is in two weeks and I haven't been in a pool yet" crisis situation!

Can you swim at all? Or do you just need to work on it? It'll get there and to be honest, it compliments running perfectly. You don't want to run every day so it is a wonderful cross-training activity.

//threadjack over

kelownagirl
12-30-2007, 07:08 PM

You and me both. My private swim coach lessons start January 7th :eek::eek:

tattiefritter
12-31-2007, 05:01 AM
After a particularly slothful December and Christmas I am just reviewing my year so it was timely to find this thread.

2007 Highlights

Starting trail running and doing the Coniston and Ullswater trail races.
Hitting my 500 running mile target despite a few injury problems.
Getting a new 10K PB (not sub- 50 yet)
Joining a running club.

2008 Goals:

600 miles running, going to try to aim for 3 runs a week, 70 miles a month but 600 miles gives me some leeway for the inevitable set backs.

At least 4 trail races (have entered a series already ), the biggie being Garburn in May: 14 miles

A half marathon in June hopefully, hoping for sub 2 hours.

A sub-50 min 10 K

To start speedwork with the club and represent them at some local races, help out with race marshalling etc.

And the most important, to not let my cycling or climbing slip like I did this year. I'm aiming for 1800 cycling miles and a minimum of two rides a week as I've noticed that my general fitness has suffered without the cycling and my strength and flexibility suffers without climbing.

Think that's enough to be going on with....

limewave
12-31-2007, 09:42 AM
2007 Highlights:
I averaged 8:35 min/miles at a 5k while pushing dd in the baby jogger!

2008 Goals:
A sub 25 min 5k race
A sub 55 min 10k race
And a 2:05:00 1/2 marathon

DirtDiva
12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Hmmm.

I have come to really enjoy running when I go regularly, but it's just hard when I take the sporadic approach I have been since about May. I felt a lot fitter at Easter than I do now! So, yeah, my overall goal is simply to run regularly, perhaps three times a week when there's lots of daylight and twice when there ain't. I ought to come up with some more specific goals for some motivation, but I haven't thought about that yet. (All my goals for this summer were mtb related, and then I went and broke my bike. :() Maybe a 5k or two around March? Some 10s later in the year? :confused: I don't have any desire to train for a marathon. :p

DrBadger
12-31-2007, 07:28 PM
OK, I am going to jump in and join the runners here also....

I started running more regularly this past year and greatly improved my speed and distance. NOw running 4-6 miles for a reqular run at ~9:30-10 min/mile. I completed my first organized run, the 12k Bay to Breakers in SF. Loved that and so signed up for my first half-marathon.

For 2008, I want to complete my first half-marathon (the one I signed up for in 2007), which is on Jan 14 :eek: after that, we will see, hopefully do at least one more half-marathon (not sure about saying I want to do a marathon yet, will see in ~ 2 weeks!) I would really like to go back to CA and do the SF half in July. I would also like to increase my speed a bit in the next year.

Happy running!

Grog
01-01-2008, 11:10 AM
That's a hard one.

My first response for the "highlight" was : my 10-mile run with my sweet partner on the Wildwood trail in Portland's Washington/Forest Park. I think about it first because it's most recent. But I think it highlights the year's achievements: I have increased distance and endurance to very reasonable 10k and half-marathon finishes, I can run further and faster, in adversarial conditions (that trail is a roller coaster!!!!!! and it was muddy too) and not turn around and go back home. And actually enjoy it. It's a new way for me to see the world. But the real highlight was probably the overall increasing of the distance I run, and finding myself actually WANTING to go for a run.

There is no marathon in my near future, but in 2008 I wish to become a faster mid-distance runner, and still enjoy running. I will keep periodizing, i.e. running only half of the year and cycling the other half, as soon as the sun comes out. :)

Wahine
01-01-2008, 01:29 PM
'07 Highlight - negative split on the marathon at Ironman Canada.
'08 Goal - my fastest 10 km ever at an Olympic distance race.

On that note... I should head out for a run.

Shiraz
01-01-2008, 03:33 PM
2007 Highlights:
Six 1/2 marathons in 9 months, one per month from August to December. I set a new PR of 2:01 and improved my time from an average time of 2:09. I found a training plan that works for me and I learned to do interval training and temp runs. I placed in my age group at the home town 1/2 marathon.

I made a new friend "Yellow" through Team Estrogen!!:D:D

2008 Goals
Continue to run without injury
Sub 2:00 1/2 marathon in Salt Lake City in April
Complete one or two duathlon (Boise has one in May)
Little Red Riding Hood Bike Century in June
Diet Training on days that I am working and can not physically train

HappyAnika
01-08-2008, 11:50 AM
2007 Highlights:

-I learned to really enjoy running by building slowly to keep pesky knees happy, and keeping heart rate down to build a base.
-Longest run ever of 5 miles.
-First sprint tri.
-Second 5k race done at 26 weeks pregnant with no walking.

2008 Goals:

-Ease back into running injury free after baby is born. (This is harder than it sounds due to the fact that my knees are already unhappy carrying the extra weight. I will need to be extra careful until I'm back close to my normal weight).
-Get baby jogger and take little one out regularly for runs.
-Second sprint tri, June or July.
-First 10k race, Sept. or Octoberish.

indysteel
01-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Having just done my first run in 13 years this past Sunday, my only goal right now is to run again this Sunday (and hopefully tonight at the gym). I'm seriously in the baby-step phase. My mind starts to implode otherwise. :p

I love reading everybody else's goals though. I wish you all a successful and injury-free 2008.

emily_in_nc
01-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Beginning/sporadic runner here with very modest accomplishments and goals, but here they are:

2007 highlight: longest distance run ever - 4 miles.

2008 goal: up my longest distance to 5 miles.

I have no desire to race as I am slow; I just enjoy the process and the runner's high that follows!

Emily

northstar
01-14-2008, 03:33 PM
2007 Highlight:
Running my first 5k
Doing my first duathlon, and running both runs without stopping!
Learning that I CAN run, period!

2008 Goal:
Be ready to run the Grey Ghost 5k in October after having a baby in July! Wish me luck. :)

HillSlugger
01-15-2008, 05:47 AM
I started running in October of 2006 so that I could do triathlons in 2007. I fought through ankle pain that got fixed up with custom orthotics. My highlight was running a 5k race in June with a PB time and pace. Unfortunately, I twisted and sprained my ankle in that race and took a tumble. This injury set back my entire training calendar and I think it also set up my knee issues. Anyhow, I ended up running 250 miles last year and I have a goal of 350 miles this year. I'm also determined this year to run the entire 5k portions of my triathlons. No injuries!