PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Veronica
01-20-2005, 04:51 PM
My trusty Specialized shoes that I have had since 1989 were killed in my muddy ride Sunday. They couldn't stand being cleaned in a bucket of hot water. The soles just about completely separated.

I ordered a new pair from Specialized yesterday, had them shipped overnight. The fit is good. Nice to know that shoe sizes have not changed.

Yes I have just a single pair of shoes that I wear for everything - Spin, the trainer, road, mountain. I just can't bring myself to buy a second pair.

V.

snapdragen
01-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Aw c'mon V - we're women, we love shoes. Go ahead, splurge and get a second pair.

snap"Imelda"dragen :D

sarahfixit
01-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Im with you Ver. I cant afford more than one set, so my Cdales get used for really everything. Stiff shoes kinda grow on ya like that. Now it is wacky to wear sneakers:D

SadieKate
01-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Oh geesh, better not let my hubby see this. My weakness too, twin Imelda (my pink Sidis finally arrived today).

Veronica, I hope you gave the old shoes a dignified and worthy burial. Something suitably touching after all those years of trusty service.

Veronica
01-21-2005, 03:43 AM
I'm old :p I could buy more shoes. I'd just rather spend my money on trips or cashmere. I think that's one of the perks of having wrinkles and gray hair.

I'm going to see if we can glue the soles back on the old pair and I'll keep them as my back up shoes. At least until I talk myself into buying another pair just for the road.

Veronica

DeniseGoldberg
01-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Oooh, SadieKate - I need to replace my Sidi Dom's. and you are tempting me with your stories of the pink shoes!

SadieKate
01-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by DeniseGoldberg
Oooh, SadieKate - I need to replace my Sidi Dom's. and you are tempting me with your stories of the pink shoes!

I too wear size 38 (or 38.5 for swelling space) and they are ever so adorable! I refrained from wearing them around the house last night, but I did have a modeling session!

Veronica, I don't know how often you get your shoes wet, but I have found that having a 2nd pair to wear while the 1st pair completely dries makes the shoes last longer. Since I ride Looks on the road, I have to have 2 pairs out of necessity. But I do have 2 pairs of mtb bike shoes because sweat and creek crossings get them wet. Once they're dry, I can use a stiff brush to get most of the gunk off rather than having to actually wash them.

Veronica
01-21-2005, 10:35 AM
You just don't want me to get more cashmere. :)

Seriously, I'm thinking hard about a second pair. This is my first year of any serious mountain biking in the wet.

Veronica

DeniseGoldberg
04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
...but it took the vision of spring to get me to finally get those rose-colored Sidi Dom's that I've been lusting over. I was waiting for the Super Sale thinking I'd get them at my LBS, just hoping they had a pair in rose and size 38. But then about a week ago I was browsing through the Colorado Cyclist site - the Sidi Dom's were on sale (they still are today, if anyone else is looking....) and they were shipped for free. When I got home tonight - earlier than normal so I could sneak out for a ride - I found my brand new shoes waiting for me. Of course I didn't wear them tonight because I didn't want to take the time to install the cleats properly. Next ride. I'm happy!

SadieKate
04-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Oooh, happy dance time! I haven't worn mine yet because I wanted their first ride to be mud (actually cow) free. I'm sure that we will be much faster now!

CorsairMac
04-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I bought a 2nd pair of shoes Mon when I took the Peugeot in for his overhaul. I couldn't stand the thought of wearing my Specialized MTBs on the road bike.....it just seemed wrong ya know....Like a rabbit with a pancake on it's head!! :p

I don't know V......you're making this tough: newshoes/cashmere/newshoes/cashmere/newshoe.........
wait???...why can't I have BOTH???....Yeah That's the ticket!!!!

DeniseGoldberg
06-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Oooh, happy dance time! I haven't worn mine yet because I wanted their first ride to be mud (actually cow) free. I'm sure that we will be much faster now!

Well, my intent was to wear my nice new Sidi Dom's much earlier than today, but I kept on wearing my old Dom's until this week - didn't want to start out my relationship with my new shoes by riding in them in the rain! So this past week is the first time that I wore them.

And here's a view of my happy feet (OK only one foot is showing) riding one of my purple bikes, gliding down the road in the sunshine this morning.

http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/23996668-M-1.jpg
(...yes, my bike & I were definitely moving down the road, and if you need to ask how I took this picture - well, you probably don't want to know!)

--- Denise

emily_in_nc
06-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Great pic, Denise!!

I covet those rose Sidis - they are next on my list, but I have a good pair of black Sidis and blue Lakes (road shoes), and Cannondales (mtb shoes), so I won't let myself buy more until at least one of them wears out. And of course I'm only riding inside these days anyway... :(

They sure are purty - enjoy! :)

~Emily

CorsairMac
06-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I LOVED the pix Denise - and yes I do wanna know!!

DeniseGoldberg
06-06-2005, 03:00 AM
For your curiosity, Corsair!

Before I started down this smoothly paved road (with a good paved shoulder), I put my camera in my right hand, turned it on, and made sure the strap was around my wrist. I then started pedaling, holding on to the handlebars with my left hand only. Luckily it's an autofocus (and digital) camera. I could sort of see the screen to select my pic - and once the bike was moving at a decent pace I stopped pedalling - and I just snapped away. I figured the the focus on my (non-moving) foot would be decent since the camera was moving at the same speed as my foot. So my foot & bike frame is in focus and the ground I was passing over was blurred.

I think I need a helmet-mounted camera!

--- Denise

CorsairMac
06-06-2005, 10:09 AM
rofl - the visual on this is just too precious! I can see myself driving by (or riding by) wondering "what is that woman doing?...is she taking a picture of herself on her bike?....why would anyone do that? :confused: " Thanks so much for my afternoon smile!!

Veronica
08-05-2005, 06:49 AM
My trusty Specialized shoes that I have had since 1989 were killed in my muddy ride Sunday. They couldn't stand being cleaned in a bucket of hot water. The soles just about completely separated.

I ordered a new pair from Specialized yesterday, had them shipped overnight. The fit is good. Nice to know that shoe sizes have not changed.

Yes I have just a single pair of shoes that I wear for everything - Spin, the trainer, road, mountain. I just can't bring myself to buy a second pair.

V.

I totally scored while on vacation in Maine. The shop we rented bikes from (half a mile from my sister's house :) ) had a new pair of my shoes from '89. The owner had gotten them when another shop was going out of business. AND they were my size!

I now have TWO pairs of shoes.

V.

jobob
08-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Oh oh, she's moving over to the dark side.

CorsairMac
08-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Holy Smoke - 2 pairs of shoes AND a cashmere jersey *shakes head*...there's no stopping Veronimeldaca now!

SadieKate
08-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Holy Smoke - 2 pairs of shoes AND a cashmere jersey *shakes head*...there's no stopping Veronimeldaca now!I believe it is TWO cashmere jerseys - pink and red. There may be more lurking I don't know about.

CorsairMac
08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
so.........Enquiring minds want to know then:
do the jerseys match the shoes?.....and the seatbag?

accessorys should Always match! *nods head very sagely*

Veronica
08-05-2005, 11:06 AM
I believe it is TWO cashmere jerseys - pink and red. There may be more lurking I don't know about.

That is correct. :D

so.........Enquiring minds want to know then:
do the jerseys match the shoes?.....and the seatbag?

accessorys should Always match! *nods head very sagely*

Nope, nothing matches. But I did get a very cute French saddlebag at the start of the summer.

http://www.rivbike.com/images/catpics/mr/20-114.jpg

Yeah, I know the pic shows it as a handlebar bag. It can be either. :p

V.

CorsairMac
08-05-2005, 01:34 PM
That IS cute! did you get that thru Riv???

Veronica
08-05-2005, 01:41 PM
That IS cute! did you get that thru Riv???

You betcha. It is a Gilles Berthoud bag and they are all sewn by a woman named Veronique. I couldn't say no. :D

For being small, it holds quite a bit. I took my tools, camera and a Red Bull in when I went to chek it out.

V.

moo bean
08-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I have a pair of Specialized Taho shoes. And I love them.

http://www.cobr.co.uk/acatalog/05TahoWomens_200.jpg