PDA

View Full Version : SPD pedals/shoes on road bike?

DocJ
01-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi all. My wife is just getting more interested in riding with me on longer rides, so we got her a specialized ocr3 (xs frame) which seems to fit the bill. Its time to step up to clipless pedals and she really wants something walkable (I don't blame her as I have speedplays with cleats that only allow for awkward hobbling off the bike). I'm thinking that a good stiff mountain shoe with maybe an eggbeater candy pedal might fit the bill for efficient pedalling and walkability. Is anyone running this setup, and how do you like it for road biking? Thanks.
P.S. she has small (size 6), but very wide feet.. any advice here would be appreciated too.

DocJ
01-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Sorry if this post is a bit redundant, I should have read a little more on the forums before posting, I guess.

DeniseGoldberg
01-20-2005, 05:46 PM
I use Speedplay Frog pedals on my road and touring bikes - recessed cleats are the only way to go! I wear Sidi Dominator shoes. They have a very stiff sole, so I don't feel that I'm compromising at all. I switched away from road shoes many many years ago because of the cleats; I like to be able to walk in my shoes without worrying about tripping on the cleats. No, I don't walk far - but I'm much happier with this system!

I have small feet too - but I have to recommend that you bring your wife with you to try on the shoes. The Sidi's run small - I wear a size 6 women's shoe, but my Sidi's are a 38 - which is supposedly much bigger than a US size 6.

You also might be interested in this shoe - pedal discussion (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1932) - another thread here at Team Estrogen.

DocJ
01-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Sidis are definitely on out list to try, as they make the mega size in some models, but I think the mega starts at a size 40 though. Hadn't thought of the frogs... the only mountain cleat I've ever uses is Time (best for mud).

emily_in_nc
01-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi ~

I use Eggbeaters Candy SL pedals on one of my road bikes (Speedplay X/2s on the others), and I really like 'em. This is on my Bike Friday, which I had built for touring and tooling around and running errands, not for fast club rides, so I specifically wanted recessed cleats for the walkable factor. I had never used anything but Speedplay and road shoes for years but found the Eggbeaters very easy to get used to.

I have clunky Cannondale mountain shoes - not sleek by any standards, but very comfy. Seem rather wide too, but then again, I have narrow-ish feet. I did have to shim the cleats and shave down the soles a bit to avoid interference, since these shoes have very thick soles.

I second Denise's comment on Sidis, they do run small. I wear a 6.5 US and my size 39 road Sidis are almost too small!

Emily

Surlygirl
01-21-2005, 08:29 AM
I wear Cannondale Mountain bike shoes also because I have small but wide feet and the Cannondales fit great and I use them with the Candies so I can walk. I think they are on sale too at either Nashbar or Performance for around 50.00 bucks.

CorsairMac
01-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I wear Specialized MTB shoes - I need a wider toe box. They fit very well and are comfortable and with the MTB sole I'm able to walk in them on the rare occasions I need to walk. I ride on Shimano SPD pedals and I didn't have to trim the shoes down to fit the pedal.

DocJ
01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks, all. I just ordered some candies from Performance for $49.. not bad at all. We'll just have to drive around and try on as many shoes as she can I guess.