PDA

View Full Version : Running bells - December 17th to 23rd

Grog
12-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Hellooo? Anyone on the trail/sidewalk?

Well I was out there Tuesday morning for a slow and a little painful 6 km, and another 10 this morning. The weather, for once, was kind this morning (we could actually see patches of blue skies, a rare thing here in Vancouver recently) and I headed out at sunrise (i.e. 8 am!!!), down the hill and along the beach. My sweetie was still in bed, but vaguely awake, when I left. Well, as I was nearing my turn-around point, I heard someone coming really fast behing me and this characteristic breathing pattern I've come to recognize as a sign that my love was catching up behind me (usually cycling). It was my sweet heart who had probably sprinted the past 4.5 km to catch me, after leaving almost 10 whole minutes after me. How nice :) He couldn't talk for a while after that, I think he had ran pretty hard, and then I confess to taking some pleasure in picking up the pace every 500 meters as we ran up the hill on the way back home. I really wanted to finish under 55 minutes, despite having been really slow on the first part of my run, and had to sprint quite hard on the last half-kilometer. I wanted to throw up when I got up to the "finish line" and was relieved to see that he felt the same. (We didn't.)

Amazing morning. It was really windy but lots of people were out running because it was the first clear day in a long time, and all the eagles were out too, riding the hot air streams... I saw as many as nine of them at the same time, and probably about 15 individuals total. I'm thinking of getting a shirt that says "I stop for eagles"....

Anyway, I hope you all get to go out, even for just one mile or two, as those hectic times roll over us!!

teigyr
12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I ran today and also last tuesday. I just did 5k each time. Am unsure why but I'm struggling! I think it might have something to do with this cough/cold thing that will not go away. Even though I'm not coughing as much, my muscles feel weak. The only way I can define it is it's like the feeling of being on the downhill portion of a rollercoaster. Odd.

Oh well, I'm taking vitamins and am trying to take it easy but I just can't do nothing!!!

It was nice today, which was a good change :D

Grog
12-20-2007, 02:22 PM
I ran today and also last tuesday. I just did 5k each time. Am unsure why but I'm struggling! I think it might have something to do with this cough/cold thing that will not go away. Even though I'm not coughing as much, my muscles feel weak. The only way I can define it is it's like the feeling of being on the downhill portion of a rollercoaster. Odd.

When I'm on the downhill of a rollercoaster course, my chest feels like it's compressed.

Is that how you feel?

If so, I would be just a little bit concerned...... Please say more!

It was nice today, which was a good change :D

Yeah it's really nice in here too, the wind is pushing the evil clouds away, for a change. Beautiful light... Blue skies feel good.

froglegs
12-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I ran last night, 2.9 miles on the treadmill. I hate treadmills.

teigyr
12-20-2007, 02:59 PM
When I'm on the downhill of a rollercoaster course, my chest feels like it's compressed.

Is that how you feel?

If so, I would be just a little bit concerned...... Please say more!

Yeah it's really nice in here too, the wind is pushing the evil clouds away, for a change. Beautiful light... Blue skies feel good.

A bit compressed sometimes. I know this cold thing is really hitting people hard. The other day my chest hurt and I self-diagnosed myself with pleurisy but I'm letting that go now :D It's like my muscles tingle and when I breathe out, my lower back tingles. Is most odd. Am trying not to wallow in it though and if it's not resolved by the beginning of the year, I will go to the doctor.

Part of me wonders if it's stress too. I've had this cold thing since 11/15 but we've been so busy. We were in NY, we were just in SoCal and we're going back to SoCal on saturday. We're not through shopping for the holidays, etc. So I'm trying to practice serene deep breaths, I'm taking allergy pills, and vitamins. Maybe it's mental?

teigyr
12-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I ran last night, 2.9 miles on the treadmill. I hate treadmills.

I hate 'em too, hence running in the wind and the rain. I'll run on the treadmill as a last resort but it's boring, I sweat, and there has to be more to life than just watching the mileage go by.

2.9 miles is a lot on a treadmill!

yellow
12-20-2007, 04:01 PM
froglegs, I always call it the dreadmill. It's certainly a last resort...

...but I probably should have run on the dread today. We had quite an adventurous 2 mile run. When we left the cars, the sky was merely black. OK, REALLY black. As we crested the first hill, it was apparent that the wall-o-precipitation was going to overtake us at some point. Nothing like watching a wall like that come your way.

Then, the hail started. Pea sized. And wind. Which means we were running along saying "ouchouchouchouch!". Good thing we had hoods. We were running into the wind & hail at this point.

And then the thundersnow. :eek:

I have welts on my legs from the hail (and I was wearing pretty thick tights). But it was really quite fun. At least it wasn't raining!

And 2 miles is better than no miles, at least.

froglegs
12-20-2007, 09:00 PM
I have only myself to blame for running on the dreadmill, I did it because I was already at the gym doing weights, and I knew that once I got home I would be too lazy to go outside again.

Tonight was better, 4 easy miles on the road. I am now feeling guilty for not taking my dog, but I don't always have the patience to run with him.

HillSlugger
12-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I ran twice this week, 2.7 miles each. Tuesday's run was bad and today's run was awful, painfully slow, and my legs felt like lead. Later today I realized that I'm getting a cold, so I think my body knew it before the rest of me did.

I'm 1.2 miles away from 250 miles for the year. I'll get in one more run either next week while I'm at my MIL or next weekend when I'm back home.

teigyr
12-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Running in the hail sounds like FUN! At least it was only 2 miles, any more and it might've led to permanent damage :D I am such a wuss on the bike but kind of don't mind the elements for walking, hiking, or running.

I also never thought to keep track of yearly mileage. I used to do that on the bike but have been out of it so long, I didn't revert back. I think this will be my New Years resolution! I've been running 10 miles +/- a week since spring so maybe '08 will be impressive!

I ran 3.5 miles today. I felt so good I decided to start on hills. I could control my HR better than previous days but wasn't perfect. Improvement is good though! After this weekend, I'm going to start working on getting up to that half-marathon which is at the end of May. I had been doing 5-6 miles on my long days but since I got sick, I've regressed. I'm sure I can get it back though.

KnottedYet
12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I ran to the bus (about 4 blocks), does that count?

Best of intentions of running with the dog in the morning, but every morning that 2nd pot of coffee just calls out to me for an extended snuggle, and next thing I know I'm late for the bus!

Deborajen
12-22-2007, 03:14 PM
I got a nice two miler in yesterday. Hadn't done too much running in the last few weeks which is fairly typical this time of year, so it felt good to get out while it was nice. It was 60 degrees yesterday, and today we got 8 inches of snow with 45 mph winds. I was hoping to do a longer run tomorrow. Maybe on the treadmill. Maybe Monday.--

Deb

ummbnb
12-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Had a busy busy week and didn't get to run for 3 days. The days that I did run were on the treadmill (30m) and then the elliptical (30m) both of which I fully hate. :D I've not been watching my distance, only my time.

Tuesday I learned that my Shuffle won't shuffle to podcasts if you have music on it and today the damn thing wouldn't work at all. yyyaaaawwwnnn! Santa better bring me a Nano!

The side streets and running paths are still too covered with ice and slick packed snow to keep up a good pace. Anyone use Yak Trax? Do they work well?

Grog
12-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Some intervals in the late afternoon. Roads were wet but I could see the sun setting just before it fell under a layer of clouds. Legs felt quite heavy, I didn't even try to go that hard on the intervals, just to survive.

And...

I was wearing the Diva cup and I really just can't get it to work for sports. It just felt like it would not stick "up there" and caused a lot of discomfort. I'll try the Moon Cup tomorrow for my long run, or just nothing. :(

Shiraz
12-23-2007, 07:35 AM
I am finally back onto a semi plan after getting back from Vegas, then working straight through till leaving for a conference and then the dreaded flu. Wow, I could not believe how the flu takes it out of you!

It has been the dreadmill for me. I finally ran 5 miles yesterday and 4 miles the day before. I have been lifting weights and doing a core workout on DVD.

Hopefully the roads will de ice and I can get outside.

Off to work today! I am covering a 12-7p shift .....

Happy Holidays :D :D :D

Grog
12-23-2007, 08:07 AM
It's pouring rain but I wanted to go on a long run and I am pretty sure I will go. The forest trails perhaps will be better than the open road, less wind, less rain directly falling on me! I have forgotten what it's like when it doesn't rain!!

Let's see in another way: it's an excuse to wear wool. :D

I wish I had my Christmas gift - a Nathan "fuel belt" - but I specifically insisted on leaving it wrapped until the 25th. Silly me!

Hope you guys are getting some really blue skies!!

OakLeaf
12-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Nice day if a little humid, a little bit of wind to blow the red tide out to sea. Got to run on the beach today for the first time this winter. My breathing was still a little tight and it took a LONG time for my HR to come back down afterward, but I think that's as much not being acclimated to the temperature as anything.

I did my intervals a little differently today, 1:00 at a hard pace but not quite all-out, 1:30 walking to bring my heart rate down to 150 or so before the next interval. Five repeats plus warmup and return run, 4.44.

runner2
12-24-2007, 06:25 PM
I ran to chase the mail truck, hand over the holiday cards before it's too late, I think this is my first sprint for this winter.
I don't like treadmills, I feel like I am a hamster on the wheel... pretending I am going somewhere. Only use them in the hotel when I am travling.

Happy holiday everyone!!

[QUOTE=KnottedYet;272007]I ran to the bus (about 4 blocks), does that count?

yellow
12-25-2007, 07:36 AM
I can really pick 'em. After Thursday's run in thundersnow and hail, I skied three days and then decided to run yesterday. I was too lazy to get out early, and kept putting it off. I knew a storm was coming, but I figured as long as the radar was showing the blob on the west side of the lake, I still had at least an hour.

So I checked the radar one last time, got my act together, and got on the trail. Nice packed snow but oddly very warm out. I ended up running in a tank top...for a while, anyway.

And then it seemed that the wall-o-snow was approaching quite quickly. The 40 mph gusts with blowing snow started. By this time the long sleeved shirt was back on, along with a hat and gloves. I was literally getting blown across the surface of the ground like a moonwalker. It was quite invigorating. I also had to crouch down and run like a burglar a few time to keep from getting blown over. :p

But I got back to the car before it became a complete whiteout. Once again, I had to cut the run short (dammmmmit! :mad: ), but at least it was more than 2 miles this time. I'm still amazed at how fast storms scoot across the Great Salt Lake!