PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Shoes

PABOYER
12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Clearly I am a spinning newbie. I have been online and seen all sorts of cycling shoes with different types of soles, etc (i.e., racing, mountain biking, etc). I am trying to decide what I need for indoor spinning. I dont expect to use them outdoors -- simply for spinning classes at the gym to expand my workouts. Price is not really the issue -- just trying to figure out what type I should be looking at. Thanks.

Zeek
12-17-2007, 09:58 AM
First double check what kind of clips the spinning bikes that you are riding have. Most have the SPD clips (just remember the word "SPUD"). As for the type of shoe, there are plenty to choose from (Sidi, Shimano, Nike, to name a few) but since you're only using them for spinning I would go with something less expensive. Check out your local bike shop and ask them what they have that will suit your needs. They will install the clips for you as well.

BikeDutchess
12-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I just bought the cheapest ones I could find on sale that fit reasonably well and were SPD-compatible. Weight doesn't really matter to me for these classes (I'm not dragging a bike up the hill really) but I did want them to have a nice stiff sole and snug heel. I ended up with some mountain biking shoes for $45 (the brand escapes me right now). The store had some shoes that supposedly were designed for spinning classes but they were not worth the extra $15 to me.

Kiekie
04-02-2008, 05:26 AM
So I just got some spinning shoes as an anniversary gift (amazing he actually listens to me when I talk to him) and I was so excited about using them for my first time. I have been spinning 2-3 times a week for about 5 weeks now, so farely new to spinning.

But here is my problem. So I go into spinning class on Saturday and asked the instructor if she could just assist me on how to "clip" in. So she did one foot, seemed like piece of cake, it took me 10 minutes to do the other foot. It was terrrible!!! :confused:

So I am going again tonight and I normally get there about 5 minutes before class starts and I am worried that I am not going to be able to get clipped in before class starts. Do you guys have any pointers for the easiest way to get clipped in? I just kept slidding out, it was so hard, I heard that once you get it, it is so easy, but how long does it take to get used to it?

I am 1/2 tempted to just use the cages on the days that I don't have time and use my new shoes on Saturdays until I get used to them, but I hate to do that, because they were AWESOME!! ;)

Zen
04-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Do you guys have any pointers for the easiest way to get clipped in?
The same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice.

I am 1/2 tempted to just use the cages on the days that I don't have time and use my new shoes on Saturdays until I get used to them
Take as long as you need to get clipped in. Don't use the cages anymore. Practice.Practice. Practice.

You didn't put training wheels back on your bike once they were off, did you?

Kiekie
04-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Very true!! Just in such a hurry to make it there after work, didn't know if there were any tips on an easier way to get them in, I must be doing something wrong.. haha.. or maybe I do just need practice!!

Possegal
04-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm sure I have shared here my experience of the first time using them in spin class. Intending to get there early to "practice" getting clipped in and out. But of course traffic delayed me, so no chance at that. I clip in fine, have a great workout, very pleased with them. Then in the end, can't get myself unclipped to save my life. Then, I break up laughing. The one and only cute guy in the class happens this one time to be right beside me. He finally notices that something is amiss with me. I say, while laughing, "I'm stuck". He says, "Just twist". I say, "I am twisting". End result, he sort of kicks my foot and it unclips, I laugh more. In hindsight, I almost of wonder if he didn't realize I was laughing and maybe thought I was upset. He didn't seem to find me as funny as I found me. :)

My issue, I have decided, is I always want to unclip the right foot first and my right knee is my surgical knee and I think I'm hesitant to twist that leg the same way I do my left foot. I've got to learn to unclip the left foot first, then it works easier for me.

VeloVT
04-02-2008, 12:37 PM
If you ever start to get stressed out while trying to unclip from your spin bike, just remember how lucky you are: you're not moving and you can't tip over :D. Take alllllllll the time you need.

Possegal -- funny story :)!

Nokomis
04-02-2008, 12:47 PM
There is a small learning curve... but if the SPD cleat is on crooked it can make it very difficult to clip in & stay in. If it's loose (may only be noticable when you're trying to pull the shoe off the pedal) it may not release. I've done both.. it's MUCH easier to deal with in class than when rolling up to a stop sign when you can't get your foot out.

Don't forget, you can always take your feet out of the shoe if you can't get the shoe off the pedal - so you aren't missing out on the post spin stretching. The shoe flopping around on the pedal Looks silly, but you're bound to get help to make sure the shoe & cleat are set up okay!

Possegal
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh I have the scars that come with the unclipping issue on my road bike too. Even then, I just gotta laugh. I have the distinction of being the first "injury" of the LiveStrong Philly challenge last August, I could still see the starting line when my shin met the curb. :)

tulip
04-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I was late to my spin class tonight so my regular bike was already taken. The one I took had some problem with the pedals--I could not clip in to save my life! And I'm not a beginner! I struggled for a few minutes and then switched bikes. The second bike worked fine.

Kiekie
04-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Well I made it to class a few minutes early and practiced clipping in and out. Clipping out was pretty easy, almost so easy that I was scared during the ride that I was going to fall off the bike.. haha. But I now I feel much more comfortable clipping in and out, so phew that challenge is over ;)

But when I was riding, my left foot started to fall asleep, almost like my shoes were too tight, I bought a pretty pricey pair of shoes, which according to the store are not refundable. But I know that they aren't to tight, b/c I barely pull on the straps to put them on. I know that spinning shoes purpose is so that your feet have better circulation, so now I have to find out what I am doing to make my foot fell like that, my right foot feels perfectly fine! So I guess it is trial and error, going again tonight, so maybe I will try different socks or something! lol

tulip
04-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Well I made it to class a few minutes early and practiced clipping in and out. Clipping out was pretty easy, almost so easy that I was scared during the ride that I was going to fall off the bike.. haha. But I now I feel much more comfortable clipping in and out, so phew that challenge is over ;)

But when I was riding, my left foot started to fall asleep, almost like my shoes were too tight, I bought a pretty pricey pair of shoes, which according to the store are not refundable. But I know that they aren't to tight, b/c I barely pull on the straps to put them on. I know that spinning shoes purpose is so that your feet have better circulation, so now I have to find out what I am doing to make my foot fell like that, my right foot feels perfectly fine! So I guess it is trial and error, going again tonight, so maybe I will try different socks or something! lol

could be they are too small (which would be a shame if they are not refundable). Keep the laces or straps as loose as possible and wear thin socks. Hope that helps.

Kiekie
04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I have plenty of room in them, that is what is weird, my toes aren't even close to the top of the shoe. They were almost loose on me when I tried them on in the store, so maybe I need to wear them around the house and stretch the sides out a little bit or something.. Thanks for the help!

Zeek
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
The position of the clip on the bottom of your shoe may need to be adjusted. Just a thought.

Nokomis
04-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Sounds weird, but it could be due to the saddle too. All the spin class seats I've seen are overly plush, which can cause blood flow issues to your hands & feet. After you try moving the cleat around, as mentioned, try to get out of the saddle frequently to allow the blood flow to circulate freely. Unfortunately not a lot that can be done to change that... adding a gel cover will only make it worse.

karenxfiles
04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I have been spinning for about 8 weeks now - 2 months, and I just purchased a pair of Nike spin shoes that allow you to put the Smimano SPD clips on the soles. I find this to be a great improvement to my spinning technique. I feel more secure in the bike now. Also, I am using different muscles, since I dont always feel like I have to push my feet down into the little shoe "basket" or whatever it is called. I felt more burning after the class in my hamstrings and my back calves. I just go the gym in my regular tennis shoes, warm up on the elliptical or treadmill for about 5 minutes, then go to spin class and change shoes right then and there. No big deal.....alot of people change into their spin shoes and out of them right there in the room. I personally like the shoes with the SPD clips, and if your class has the kind of bikes that accept the SPD clips or cleats, go for it. Just ask your instructor, and I'm sure they will tell you what will work. :D

Dogmama
04-15-2008, 04:34 AM

Your cleat could need repositioning. Look at your right shoe - is the cleat positioned differently?

If you're pushing on a nerve, you might investigate some thin gel-type inner-soles for your shoes.

Last, didn't you say your right knee was your surgical knee? Are you pushing harder with your left leg to compensate?

Just some thoughts...

Possegal
04-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Last, didn't you say your right knee was your surgical knee? Are you pushing harder with your left leg to compensate?

Nope, that was me explaining why I had issue unclipping my right leg. :) No issues with my shoes though.

Kiekie
04-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Well I have been using my shoes for a few weeks and my left foot is still going numb. I called the store and of course they don't take any returns, which is BS b/c it is a spinning shoe, not a running shoe.. not like the bottoms are wore out at all.. so anyways, he suggested I moved the clip, so I am going to try that tonight, but if that doesn't work it sucks that I am stuck with an expensive pair of shoes. I almost rather be in the cages with gym shoes, at least I could feel my toes then.. pretty agrevating.. and yes the clips are the same on both sides. :(

greycoral
09-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Just thought I'd top this one, and see if anyone has any they like!!

Miranda
09-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Good gawd:eek:... I'd rather ride duct taped to cranks before I'd use the toe clips again. I rode my first and only time to spin class with those. Cha$ ching$, then it was shoes & cleats for me. Those stupid straps are made to fit a size 9 or 10 man's shoe I think. Btw, I know it really sux about the shop not taking returns... but once the cleat is mounted, it does scratch the bottom of the shoes. If they need adjusted, they should help with that, IMHO. OK, here's some blab on about numb foot...
1) if shoes felt big at try on, they are probably ok... big toe box = good
2) top strap closest to ankle is most important to keep your shoe on... leave the lower ones loose loose loose
3) how's your pedal technique? are you pointing your toes down as you tire... or keeping a flat foot, or heel angeled down?
4) do you clench your toes in the toe box as you tire pedaling? purposely make yourself wiggle your toes inside the shoe for circulation throughout the ride
5) are you hydrated and not getting cramps/numbness due to lack of fluids?
6) as stated, cleat repositioning can help... IMHO, the shop should help you
7) the spin and mtb shoes are not going to be as stiff as a true road shoe... nor is a spin bike spd going to be as wide a platform, like a road bike Look Keo... so more numb potential there

Just some more ideas.
Hope you find some resolve:).

latelatebloomer
09-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Sometimes my feet go numb when I'm spinning, and I've found it means that I'm tensing my leg muscles. When I relax (which improves your effort, BTW) the numbness will go away. Also, another mistake I made when I started spinning and road riding w/ cleats is that I had my shoe straps a little too tight. They felt comfortably snug to me - but the feet swell a little during a ride/spin, and if the shoe's too tight, numbness can result.

So many little details to hammer out, aren't there? :rolleyes:

yougogirl
10-04-2011, 12:18 AM
I thought I was the only one that got numb sometimes. Mostly my feet, though. It's definitely a circulation thing since I don't strap my shoes on that tight. This happens for both my spinning shoes and road biking shoes. I now get out of the saddle more on the long rides and workouts to alleviate the problem. This has helped. I never thought of the tensing and relaxing muscle aspect. I'll have to try to be more aware about that on future rides.