PDA

View Full Version : Portland & Seattle Long Run Itineraries

Grog
12-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Hello Ladies

Between Christmas and New Year my sweetie and I are going to drive down to Portland (2 nights), Hood River, OR (1 night) and Seattle (1 night). I am looking forward to running in those cities, for a nice change of scenery.

I would like to go for 10-12-mile runs in Portland and Seattle. In both cases we'll be staying at the Marriott, in Portland the one that's near the main Powells Bookstore and in Seattle the Renaissance (520 Madison Street). [It's great that my sister-in-law works for Marriott!]

I've ran in Seattle by the water before (we stayed at the other Marriott on Alaskan Way) but I don't know if there are other options easily accessible from downtown. I've got NO idea where to run when in Portland. We'll have a car but if we can avoid getting it out of the parking lot it's better.

I don't mind running on hard surfaces but I also love to run trails. Nice views of the city, water and mountains are always a big bonus for me. We don't know the cities too well so simple is probably better.

I will very much appreciate any hints you can give me!

Thank you!

teigyr
12-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I wish I could be of help! I'm in Seattle but don't do those longer type runs yet. I'll ask DH later today though, maybe he has some ideas. He doesn't run at all but he hikes and I know there are some beautiful trails around.

Good deal with the Marriott :D Since I work for an airline (flight benefits) I always wished a family member worked for a hotel chain. I was trying to work out a trade system with a Fairmont employee once but alas, it didn't come to fruition.

Eden
12-14-2007, 03:52 PM
You might want to take a bus or drive to reach it, but the Burke Gilman trail could be nice - to the west if you want to take in the city sights, to the east if you want more of a suburban experience. You'd have the option of running on the pavement (it is a multi use trail so be mindful of cyclists) or along side on the dirt in many places.

Here's a good trails resource - this is for King County, so it goes fairly far afield, but most of the trails, even in the city, are "county parks" - just really long skinny ones :o and the map should be useful to you.

http://www.metrokc.gov/parks/trails/

blueskies
12-14-2007, 03:53 PM
In Portland, you could run on the Wildwood Trail, through Forest Park. You would have to drive to get there, but not too far. It's a classic Portland trail through old growth forest. It starts near the zoo & goes for 30+ miles. A nice section (if you like going up & down), is from the zoo to Pittock Mansion & back.

http://www.friendsofforestpark.org/hike_run

Grog
12-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Thank you for the suggestions!

We have two days to run in Portland so if others have ideas it will be welcome too!

elk
12-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Forest Park for sure...

If you want a more urban experience, you could do Tom McCall Waterfront Park, cross one of the bridges and go down the east side esplanade to the Spring Water corridor. This is in Portland.

Weekends it can be a little crowded with bikers, walkers, runners in parts, but its a cool run.

You're staying in the SW.
This map should help you. It's the 40 miles loop around Portland.
http://www.40mileloop.org/map_40mileloop.htm