PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I did it now.

teigyr
12-13-2007, 02:37 PM
I registered for a half marathon. It's 5/31. It's women only and there will be walkers so I know I won't be last :D

I know this is far out from the event but it is less to register early. Also, I tend to be more inspired for training when I have a specific date to be ready by. I've been pretty much in training "holding pattern" while the holidays are here because I've been pretty busy. Holding pattern is 4-5 mile run on my long day and the other days are 2.5-3.5 miles. I'll start increasing in January.

I'm happy but part of me is thinking "oh no, what did I do?" :eek: :D :eek:

mimitabby
12-13-2007, 02:39 PM
congrats, i think. I'll go with you on some training rides!

teigyr
12-13-2007, 02:42 PM
It's running. I'll ride too, of course! But if you rode as I ran, you'd fall over. I'm slow.

But I'm all about riding as soon as this &*^% weather gets better! I'm weekends off too now. Both days. Woohoo!

Grog
12-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Awesome! You've got LOTS of time ahead. My fall pattern has been similar to yours (although perhaps a bit longer runs on the weekend) and I've got a half coming mid-February. I'll be seriously increasing mileage and doing more intervals over the holidays and through January.

Enjoy the process, that's what it's about really :)

Tri Girl
12-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Woo hoo! You bit the bullet and paid your money- now it's in stone and you have a solid goal to work towards. I'm glad you did it. You've been thinking about it, so I'm glad to see you're one step further. You know you'll be more than prepared. Training can start after the first of the year.

I know that feeling of instant regret (had it right after I signed up for IMAZ) :eek:

teigyr
12-13-2007, 03:03 PM
It isn't regret so much as "omg, what did I do?". Oddly enough though I'm happier with those nervous type butterflies going on though when it gets closer to the event (esp day of) I start questioning my sanity.

I still want to go watch IMAZ :D

mimitabby
12-13-2007, 03:05 PM
you have weekends off now?? Fantastic news! same job?

teigyr
12-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Same job, new-ish bid. Probably the holidays being mid-week had something to do with it. We bid again in Feb or March and while I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it wouldn't surprise me to lose this shift.

froglegs
12-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Good for you, you have a lot of time to get ready, I'm sure you will do great. :D

My first 1/2 is in 5.5 weeks :eek: :eek: :eek: For some reason, I still have a hard time even thinking of myself as a runner. Maybe after my 8.5 miler this weekend. :)

Starfish
12-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Wow, T, this is awesome! You know we will be rooting you on every step of the way while you train!

Wahine
12-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Way to go T. You'll do great. I think I'm sensing a way to repay you for some kind deeds...... to be continued.

teigyr
12-13-2007, 11:32 PM
thank you :D

froglegs, I never thought of myself as a runner and I had the cross country record in h.s. done in a time trial as an incoming freshman. Now is way far away from then though so I for sure don't see myself as that way.

Before my first tri, I had an OW swim coach because I kind of procrastinated with the whole swim thing. I said I wasn't a swimmer. He said "you are swimming, you are a swimmer". This was as he was telling me I should start going to Master's. Um...yeah...I'd for sure be out of place there! Anyway, I guess that means you should view yourself as a runner.

I like challenges though I wish sometimes I didn't. I'd have a LOT more free time if I didn't, at least! The housework would get done...dh would have clean socks (it's my decision to do the laundry, he'd do it if I let him), I'd be cleaning the catboxes, etc.

Starfish
12-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Before my first tri, I had an OW swim coach because I kind of procrastinated with the whole swim thing. I said I wasn't a swimmer. He said "you are swimming, you are a swimmer". This was as he was telling me I should start going to Master's. Um...yeah...I'd for sure be out of place there!

Having been a part of that exact masters team, with that very coach, I can tell you that you would not be out of place there. There really was room for all, and with the coaching, underwater video, and the rest of the tools, virtually everyone who started there improved a lot. Including me. You can do it! :D

teigyr
12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Having been a part of that exact masters team, with that very coach, I can tell you that you would not be out of place there. There really was room for all, and with the coaching, underwater video, and the rest of the tools, virtually everyone who started there improved a lot. Including me. You can do it! :D

Oddly enough, I am going to start going back to Queen Ann on the 30th. I'll be away the next two sundays or else I'd do it sooner. I'll talk to him and see what he says. I'm just going for the coaching sessions but I could maybe be persuaded to show up at some Masters too :D