PDA

View Full Version : cold hands

violette
12-07-2007, 05:49 AM
I went running yesterday and my fingers were numb from the cold. What kind of goves/mitts do you wear for running?

Kimmyt
12-07-2007, 06:56 AM
I use those cheap little cotton gloves yout get at wally world or likewise that are really stretchy. Then if they get sweaty and stinky i can toss em. Also, they ball up really small so when my hands start warming up I can take them off and stick them in a pocket.

Grog
12-07-2007, 07:47 AM
I have lots of cheap gloves, and I do "toss them", but in the washing machine. The light ones work down to -3 C approx (and usually I'll take them off after 15 minutes). Colder than that maybe I'd wear light gloves with a very light and roomy mitten on top...

roadie gal
12-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I get the cheap polypro glove liners. If it's windy or wet, I wear some light windproof, uninsulated mittens over them.

RedCanny
12-11-2007, 06:37 AM
I usually go with just light windproof, uninsulated mittens, even when running out in a Minnesota winter. I think mine were made by Hind.

Although my hands are often quite cold, when I'm running is when I have no problem keeping them warm. The dry part is the challenge: my hands sweat quite a bit when I'm exercising- so any sort of insulated mitten will end up too wet to keep my hands warm.

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-11-2007, 07:09 AM
I find it hard to keep my hands warm when biking in the 20's F, but it seems easy to me to do miles of fitness walking in those temps and keep my hands warm. Biking you have to keep your hands out front into the wind grabbing your bars, and you CREATE wind chill factor of 20mph or more. :(
But walking briskly I stay nice and warm with just layering two or three good gloves on.
If it's really cold- like in the teens or twenties- I'll wear a wool glove liner, then a women's windproof or ski glove, then a large looser men's windproof insulated ski glove which slides easily over the other gloves. Nothing gets past that combo...unless I'm biking.