SheFly
12-07-2007, 04:34 AM
Registration - check
Bikes - check
GPS - check
Car Serviced - check
Camera - check
Motivation - ......

Hello? Has anyone seen my motivation? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

DH and I have decided not to make the trip to Kansas for Nationals next week. Together, we decided to end our 'cross seasons on the high note they are currently on, and not to add the stress and turmoil of Nationals this year. Both of us are tired, sore and lacking the motivation we need to be successful in Kansas.

The 40+ hours in the car was also nagging us both. Let me just say that this decision is better for our relationship, and our mental and physical health.

We will be supporting our teammates and friends in thought, and will anxiously await the results each day. This was a tough decision for us. I, personally, feel as if I am letting the team down, but I just don't have it at this point in the season.

Thanks to all of you who have supported me through the long road and 'cross seasons this year! I look back and feel successful, and that's the way I want to end....

SheFly

Tuckervill
12-07-2007, 04:56 AM
I always admire a person who knows their limits!

Karen

Pedal Wench
12-07-2007, 06:56 AM
One of my rules of cycling is to stop when it's not fun. Even in training, if I'm working towards a goal that will be fun, I can endure training. But, to dread a trip and spend 40 hours in your car for an event that you're not excited about? :rolleyes: Sounds like you've made the right decision. Stay home and do something wonderful instead.

LBTC
12-07-2007, 07:43 AM
SheFly, you are one smart woman! :rolleyes: I'll send you butterflies to remind you of that, even though it's completely apparent that you don't need any extras!

Congratulations on a fabulous season!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

RoadRaven
12-07-2007, 08:40 AM
SheFly... most excellent decision
I know how tough it is to choose NOT to race, but having made it I think you made the right call

40 hours is a long way to travel when you can't find where the motivation has been packed and have to leave it behind.

Its been a great season for you both, well done and thank you for writing us about it... if there were cyclocross events locally I think you would have me converted!

Enjoy planning for next season :)

Crankin
12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Cathy, you accomplished a lot this year and you stopped before it became a stressor, not a fun thing. Enjoy the next few weeks of holiday time.

PS. That was my German "son's" girlfriend you saw me with in Estabrook last week. He is going to be riding for Rite Aid this year, based out of Philadelphia; his team folded at the end of the season and he couldn't find a European team to race with. I didn't even know Rite Aid sponsored a team. So, we will get to see him a bit this summer. She is a physical therapist for Team Mobile, and when the news about them being bought came out, she was here. She went back not knowing if she has a job. Quite an interesting life she leads and she's only 24!

mimitabby
12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
40 hours in a car sounds like a nightmare, not an adventure!

wavedancer
12-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Sounds like you and DH thought it through and made the best decision. You've been driving all over New England for races every weekend. No wonder the motivation to drive 40+ hours was hard to find. You have had a fabulous season and I have really enjoyed watching you fly by me in the 3/4 races we shared. Your final races as an elite this year were very impressive and I will be looking forward to seeing you out there next year!

Enjoy the winter. Looks like we have a pretty good chance for some snow this year. Time to bring out the snow-toys and/or cuddle up by the fire.

SheFly
12-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks all! I knew if anyone would understand, it would be all of you here on TE. The word is getting out to our teammates that we aren't heading to Natz, and people are surprised, but supportive. More importantly, DH and I are psyched that we aren't racing anymore this season!

Thanks again for all of your support and encouragement through the season!

Oh - and Raven - we DEFINITELY need to introduce 'cross to you Kiwis!

SheFly

Voodoo Sally
12-12-2007, 08:51 AM
SheFly, I totally understand. It's been a long season! And pretty intense. And pretty cold lately. I wouldn't want to do that long drive, either. Some year soon, hopefully Nats will come back to the east coast. I'll have a report about RI by week's end, btw.

velogirl
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
SheFly, you made the right decision. Besides, did you see the forecast? Blech!

Happy end of season!

Lorri