PDA

View Full Version : Bike turn signal

Melalvai
12-06-2007, 05:28 AM
A friend got me this off of ebay. bike turn signal (http://www.kemenel.org/melalvai/journal/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/light1_a_800.jpg)
It's not something I'd recommend spending a lot of money on--fortunately she won the bid for $1.99 or something. Spent more on shipping, probably.

The cords aren't long enough, and the controller doesn't have a way to mount it, like it's missing pieces or something. In general it seems a bit rickety. But, the horn is decently loud. It has 8 honks, 3 of which sound like a cell phone. I could have fun with that one--watch the motorists start searching for their phones. I got it mounted with creativity and cable ties.

Yesterday morning I got to HONK BACK at a car. Today I was disappointed; no one honked at me and I did not have an opportunity to honk back. Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck!

tulip
01-07-2008, 07:22 AM
I like the idea of a horn alot. I would find that quite useful.

The turn signal probably won't be very useful. The blinkers on either side are too close together. A driver in a car probably won't be able to distinguish the right blinker from the left because they are so close together. It would work better if they extended out from the bike further, like on rods.

Perhaps someone can come up with an improved model!

Melalvai
01-07-2008, 12:56 PM
IThe turn signal probably won't be very useful. The blinkers on either side are too close together.
I agree. I only use the turn signals at night, with the rear light turned on. I think a blink to the right or left of a steady light gets the message across.

The controls are a bit awkward. It's not at all a well designed system, but it was $2 off of ebay.

It would be cool if someone designed a useful turn signal!

KnottedYet
01-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah, it would be good to have some effective way to signal at night.

Tri Girl
01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Technology is getting there... pretty soon I think we'll have some great options out there for us (now I just have to invent some and become a millionaire at it ;)).

I like the idea of a horn. Pretty nifty!

Geonz
01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I have been seeking turn signals forever... I found some once but the installation stumped me.

I am thinking of getting the planet bike lit armbands 'cause a blinking arm out to one side (and heck, I could probably just make like a chicken and leave my hands on the bars) would do it. (My commute home is generally dark for a few months more.)

bmccasland
01-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah, it would be good to have some effective way to signal at night.

Blinky helmet lights??? :D

indigoiis
01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
You know what I was thinking of this morning? Windshield wiper goggles.

newfsmith
09-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Technology is getting there... pretty soon I think we'll have some great options out there for us (now I just have to invent some and become a millionaire at it ;)).

This is a home-brew that looks good, start making them, because I don't think I will, and I certainly would buy.
http://www.instructables.com/id/turn-signal-biking-jacket/

malkin
09-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I've been wondering about putting a blinky on my left wrist; it would make my signals more obvious, but I think it might make me migrainey when I had my hand on the handlebar.