PDA

View Full Version : Bike Commuting is Freedom

Technotart
12-01-2007, 06:02 AM
I was leaving work on my bicycle yesterday and on the way out stopped to have a conversation with a coworker. “It’s just simple, isn’t it” she said. I agreed with her, but I continued to think about how simple it really was all the way home.

We have complicated our lives to the point where frustration is a daily overwhelming feeling for many of us. We sit in traffic on the highways (aren’t they supposed to be faster?), we cuss at other drivers. We watch what we eat but can’t help but gain weight, we have no outlets or time for stress relief, we DRIVE to a gym to workout, and we get to spend precious little time with our families.

Today I had a problem on my hands. My car was being used by my oldest son. I had ridden my bicycle in to work, but I had 4 large poinsettias, my dirty bike clothes from the ride in this morning and a piece of equipment to carry home from the office. I also needed to pick up my 6 year old from kindergarten on the way and could stand to stop for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread. What’s a busy mom to do?

I decided to leave the poinsettias and equipment at work. I still won’t have a car on Monday. I’ll get to that in a minute.

I left work, meandered down mostly residential streets and through a lesser trafficked industrial area. I enjoyed the time to think. I could feel the brownies I had eaten with my lunch disappearing from my thighs (That is a WONDERFUL feeling!) Crossing the parking lot that is 635 on an overpass was strangely satisfying and I am sure the cars sitting still in the fast lane below thought the grinning, waving biker in her hi-vis yellow vest was just crazy.

Drivers are very friendly on the roads. Every once in awhile I meet an ill informed individual, who can’t see past his steel cage. I try to wave nicely at those people and smile. Maybe they just aren’t having any fun.

I arrived home, refilled my water bottle and attached the child trailer to my bicycle before heading to my son’s school. The kids on the playground were just absolutely fascinated by the trailer and wanted to take turns sitting in it. I retrieved my son, stopping at the grocery on the way home.

On Monday – I will drag the kiddie trailer behind me – with a few days worth of clean clothes inside – for the 12 miles to work and leave it with the valets so I can pull my cargo home in the afternoon.

Although it seems like more trouble to plan ahead and use my bike to get around, I certainly experience a lot less frustration. I don’t sit in traffic, I can stop for a break whenever I want, and truly – riding takes me only a few more minutes than driving would! I’ve lost weight, I feel stronger and more confident.

This weekend, I will go on a 3 hour ride with my husband and some friends, and we will ride a 2nd time together with the kids. Another wonderful thing about cycling is that anybody can do it. The grandparents come up and we all go ride together, my son and grandson love riding in the kiddie trailer, although my 6 year old has recently learned to ride under his own steam. I think Santa will be shopping for a new bike.

Just like when we were kids and that new bike meant total freedom, my bike still means freedom for me…freedom from the usual daily frustrations of life.

Blueberry
12-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks for sharing your perspective! I agree with you 100%! DH and I are both looking for bike commutable jobs. He has found one - I have not (30+ miles each way with no good roads to bike on is not bikeable IMO).

indigoiis
12-01-2007, 06:56 AM
Another wonderful thing about cycling is that anybody can do it. The grandparents come up and we all go ride together, my son and grandson love riding in the kiddie trailer, although my 6 year old has recently learned to ride under his own steam. I think Santa will be shopping for a new bike.

Ah yes, the ideal.
Now to convince my 14 year old daughter to get on a bike for the five miles to the park and ride...

divingbiker
12-01-2007, 07:09 AM
I think Santa will be shopping for a new bike.

Just like when we were kids and that new bike meant total freedom, my bike still means freedom for me…freedom from the usual daily frustrations of life.

I agree completely, except for the part about Santa shopping for a new bike. Silly you...everyone knows the elves will make the bike for Santa!

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Great post, Technotart. 100% ++ agreement. :)

uforgot
12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
And you certainly don't understand unless you've been there. I am always exhausted after my day, but my ride home refreshes me. No way did a ride home in a car ever do that! My friends don't understand how I can ride day after day, but it truly is energizing!

Technotart
12-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah I get to work and go "WOW! What a beautiful morning! What a great ride!" I NEVER say that when I drive my car!

madscot13
12-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I agree completely, except for the part about Santa shopping for a new bike. Silly you...everyone knows the elves will make the bike for Santa!

Are we talking one of the elves of Rivendell bike works? Yes that would be nice!

madscot13
12-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Yes, I do love bike riding. it is sort of harder here in DC but I don't have many places to go. My mother is amazed that I haven't begged her for a car yet. I mean my brother got one when he was in high school and my parents had less money back then. Well she is trying to bribe me with a car if I move home (silly them, what I really want is my own house and there is some sort of paradox involved in that). Well I would love to go car free for the next 10 years, but I'm sure something will happen before then.

I can beat most cars on the way to school and I can beat the metro bus on the way home (and that is uphill mind you). I don't think owning a car would save me any time, because then you have to work to keep up with the expenses of owning a car: the monthly payments, insurance, up keep, and GAS! I know for some folks, having a car is a necessity and driving it is a daily necessity. But doesn't that say something about our lives and the way we have designed our cities?

Geonz
12-03-2007, 08:21 AM
It occured to me yesterday at the League of Illinois Bicyclists meeting that there are hordes of people who sincerely and honestly don't realize that there are so many positive tradeoffs to cycling that it's the easy choice for many of us. Until you've experienced the payoffs you don't understand. Technotart said it so well!! It's so hard to explain that you're just planning and figuring out *different* things than you would be with the car.
One of the other fellows on the board was on the train with me and bemoaned that he didn't commute more because it took more time to cycle 2 or three miles than to drive. I said "if it were a 7 mile trip you'd find the time to do it in the car - it's worth seeing if you can find that 20 minutes." I mean, it is **possible** that the 20 minutes aren't there - but far more likely that oh, there's still been time for 20 minutes of SOlitaire on the computer. Cycling is much more refreshing than that.
(Speaking for myself, I'm simply more efficient in an exercised mind and body. I don't need as much sleep so I get the time back right away.)

Actually the thing that occurred to me wasn't that there were hordes - I knew that - but that many members of that unenlightened horde were actually passionate about things like the environment and *if they could be enlightened* ...

Melalvai
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I decided a couple weeks ago that this year, I wouldn't let myself get "burned out" on the cold weather, I'd set a cut-off and when it's below 25F, I wouldn't bike.

This morning it was 20F, with a stiff north wind (I head right into it). But driving is SO inconvenient!! So I bundled up as well as I can, and got on my bike anyway, saying, "My cut-off is 30 if it's raining/snowing, 20 if it's dry."

Next year I'll have proper cold & wet weather riding clothes. Even with oversize mittens over gloves over bike gloves, my fingers hurt. Even with 2 pairs of socks, my toes hurt.

Tri Girl
12-04-2007, 04:29 AM
I've been riding my bike to do most all my errands lately (most everything I need/use is within 3-4 miles of home). I went "big" grocery shopping for the first time on Sunday (always bought little things here and there before), and overestimated the size of my panniers. I had to squish my bread, put apples and oranges in my back pockets, and carry the milk and the bananas in the basket so all the rest of the groceries would fit in the panniers. Lesson learned- make smaller trips. :p Doing errands by bike is very liberating. I went out on Sunday when it was BAC (bite a** cold) and I got the strangest looks. I LOVED being the "freak" on the bike grocery shopping and running errands. It's so free-ing!

But driving is SO inconvenient!!

Unfortunately, driving is SO convenient for me to get to work. 30 min. in the car- 2 hours on the bike (each way). I wish I worked closer to home like last year when I was only 3 miles away. Now, THAT was convenient to bike, and it took the same amount of time as driving.

Next year I'll have proper cold & wet weather riding clothes. Even with oversize mittens over gloves over bike gloves, my fingers hurt. Even with 2 pairs of socks, my toes hurt.

That's my problem, too, with the cold. I finally bought some really nice winter tights from the Terry half off sale and they are soooo wonderful. Keep my legs super toasty. Just wish I'd gotten a really warm jacket. I'm working on that one. Now, if I could only find some warm shoes/socks I'd probably be OK. ;)

Good for you for bundling up and commuting anyway!

Melalvai
12-04-2007, 07:51 AM
I hit on an important discovery today. A while ago I posted about snot and someone mentioned "snocks"--socks with the toes cut off, worn on your wrists as a hanky. Well, my wrists were so cold yesterday between my sleeves & gloves/mittens/etc. So today I made snocks and wore them. My fingers felt fine, and when I took my gloves/mittens/etc off, my hands were sweating!

Apparently keeping that little bit of wrist covered from the wind, also kept my fingers warm.

My commute is only 3.5 miles. So it is more convenient than driving. :) Driving means dropping off my daughter at school first, and either finding parking or my husband dropping me off--taking up more of his time as well. It actually takes me longer to drive!

RoadRaven
12-04-2007, 08:25 AM
I am always exhausted after my day, but my ride home refreshes me. No way did a ride home in a car ever do that! My friends don't understand how I can ride day after day, but it truly is energizing!

Me too... at the moment I am trying to get in two rides a day - just 45-60 minutes each time.

I find I have more energy at work after an early morning ride.
I find I can face the evening better with an evening ride before dinner
I find I sleep more soundly, and it is longer before I wake up...

Geonz
12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.redsmoke.co.uk/How_to_give_up_cycling.htm

Melalvai
12-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I find I sleep more soundly, and it is longer before I wake up...
My husband remarked last night "You don't need as much sleep since you've been exercising." (Meaning biking primarily, plus situps & pushups every night.)

kfergos
12-06-2007, 06:51 AM
100% agreement with the sentiments expressed here!

I wrote this huge long reply, but it all boiled down to a simple idea: Commuting by bike is addictive. I started with a six-mile one way commute and am up to 13.5 miles each way. It's not always fun, but it's always worth it.