PDA

View Full Version : Good Indoor Shorts For Spinning?

Miranda
11-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello Ladies:) . Wasn't sure if I should post this under clothing, or spinning. Will try here first. I user a lesser quality/price road style short for indoors in spin class. Pearl Izumi sugar shorts. Had these for a while, and just need replacement/more. When I received the new sugar shorts, the chamois design has changed. It was thin before, but good for spin class. Now it's more ergo/paneled. Don't know if I like it. Waiting on an exchange size pair to actually put it to the test (if I keep it at all). It there another similiar short that anyone likes to use for spinning that you could suggest? I don't really like to use my higher priced road shorts for the indoor wear and tear short ride. But, a light pad is nice, and not dealing with underware and traditional gym shorts is a plus too--thus a road short again works. Thanks for the thoughts!

VeloVT
11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Descente Bliss Shorts?

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=11915

Similar price category. This was one of the first pairs of shorts I bought. This past summer, most of my shorts were dirty and I pulled these out of the drawer, not having worn them in probably a year, and was very surprised at how comfortable the chamois was.

Also Shebeest has a few pairs of less expensive shorts with their lighter "hourglass" chamois:
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=25767
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=25905

I have actually worn the stripe shorts for spinning before. I find them pretty comfortable on the road for up to about 30 miles or maybe a little more, but my saddle is a lot more comfortable than the spin bike saddles at the gym! I started to get sore about 40 minutes into a 1.5 hour class.

blueskies
11-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I have a pair of Performance Women's Ultra shorts that I like for spin class. Useless for my road bike, but just right for spinning. I also save my good shorts for the real bike.

teigyr
11-29-2007, 05:43 PM
I tend to wear whatever's old and not suitable for the bike anymore. I will say though that I've worn tri shorts when all else fails and they are really comfy on a spin bike! I have DeSoto Rapida tri shorts and they work perfectly. I think they're $45ish or so. The only thing I won't use on a spin bike are shorts with too much padding, it really gets in the way.

Miranda
11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Thx ladies for the shorts suggestion. I've always liked Sheebeast for the upper half. I have a long torso, and the same size in Pearl never works for me. Next size up Pearl, too big elsewhere. Sheebeast seems to be good for long torso ladies like me, so hope the shorts are good too. I wish the stripe pair wouldn't have the stripe. I think all black is easier to mix and match with tops. Cuz ya know, we're in a fashion show riding and sweating like pigs in that dark room during spinning lol. The other shorts are good to check out too. Appreciate the tips.

teigyr
11-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Ok, granted I am new to spinning in the scheme of things. I'm from Calif and when I was there, I rode outside exclusively. The class I normally go to in WA has windows but when I went to another gym, the class was dark! My instructor (who teaches at multiple gyms) said that most classes are in the dark or with black lights.

Serious?

Zeek
12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Ok, granted I am new to spinning in the scheme of things. I'm from Calif and when I was there, I rode outside exclusively. The class I normally go to in WA has windows but when I went to another gym, the class was dark! My instructor (who teaches at multiple gyms) said that most classes are in the dark or with black lights.

Serious?

Well, the rooms really shouldn't be completely dark as a rider could not readily see his/her HR monitor. Some lighting is necessary for certain, perhaps somewhat dim but enough that a rider can see his/her HR monitor for sure. For some history, when Johnny G initially began the spinning program, he came up with the "dimming the lights" concept as a way to simulate what he himself experienced when riding his road bike outdoors as the sun set. Dimming the lights also aids in assisting riders in making the mind-body connection and losing oneself in the ride.

Miranda
12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I like the black light bulb effect. Enough light to see some stuff, but not overbearing. Some of our teachers leave the lights all on. I find it to be distracting. One teach did have something bad happen with a student getting sick/hurt in class, and was too freaked to ride in the dark after that. I agree with good ole Jonny G. about less light and the mind body connection;) . We have no windows, and glow in the dark stars on the walls with the black light bulb effect. It's kinda cool:cool: . My HRM has a light that comes on when you bring the unit to the chest strap. So, non issues to check, nice feature. Plus, our new bike computers have lights. So nice. I personally can't remember to get my computer light turned on at the start of the ride. So, I just turn it on as needed. Others turn in on at the start, and it will stay on thru out the class. It's just a pain if you are tardy, and the lights are out already in the room:( . Sometimes the teacher will offer to get off the bike and turn the lights on. I carry a small book light clip key chain flash light on my gym sack... so I can see my seat slider #s seatings in the dark. The rest of the bike, I can set up by Helen Keller style brail. A cell phone backlight also is enough light to see some settings if you carry it to class anyways. Hmm, tips for bad tardy people like me:rolleyes: . Ah, schedule wise, sometimes it just doesn't work out to make it on time. Dang life stuff, must it interupt our good spin ride lol! :D

Zeek
12-04-2007, 05:17 AM
One last point on this topic (sorry for the hijack). As an instructor, it's important you are able to see the faces of your participants. You need to know if someone is looking distressed and may need assistance or attention.

Miranda
12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Zeek.... hijack away:D ;) . Good point on the safety factor. Sometimes people most certainly get in distress. I think particularly for any overheating issues, or too high of heart rates. For some people, particularly if they don't wear a HRM, they don't realize how high their pulse is, until a bit too late:eek: . Yep, those super red flushed faces definately need to be seen... before they keel over off the bike. Gheeez... hopefully never on my watch... the last thing ya wanna do is put your cpr skills to a test. Gives me stress chest pains just thinking about it lol... sorry, NOT funny for real, just being a goof ball.:D

Miranda
08-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Well, I can't comment on the longevity or how they wash, but I think besides that, I have found a good short...

Terry Club Short (in this link below)...

http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1851&c=Apparel

I tried them out today in spin class, and thus far, they fit the bill! The chamois is a polar fleece, just like my old PI shorts I used to love, perfect for indoors, IMHO.

I'm not much of a pockets gal for road shorts, but the pocket that these have is ok. Not too obtrusive.

I can't say that I am a fan of the other road shorts that Terry makes, but for inside, these will be a repeat purchase for me as long as they hold up.

Just wanted to come back and post in this thread for anyone else that does a search looking for good indoor shorts to try.

Miranda :)

aicabsolut
08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I usually wear shorts that are too worn out for the road bike, such as my Cannondale shorts that had the foam split inside the chamois or some Nike knickers that have a horrible horrible chamois. I do really prefer my bibs, though. I'll just do the Fred thing of wearing an athletic top/base layer on the outside of the straps, since I don't have a jersey and don't need a pee break in the middle of a spin class. When in doubt, I just wear normal athletic capri tights, but yeah, that calls for more underwear laundry to do.

Crankin
09-06-2008, 09:28 AM
I absolutely hate the dark room in spin class. I can't see! Even though my HR monitor has a light, I have to keep pushing a button to make it come on and I often end up pushing the wrong button and then all the functions stop working. My club has the lights on a dimmer and some instructors only dim them a little, others go all the way to darkness.
I don't ride outside in the dark and I don't want to ride in the dark inside, either. It makes me feel claustrophobic.

Miranda
09-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I absolutely hate the dark room in spin class. I can't see! Even though my HR monitor has a light, I have to keep pushing a button to make it come on and I often end up pushing the wrong button and then all the functions stop working. My club has the lights on a dimmer and some instructors only dim them a little, others go all the way to darkness.
I don't ride outside in the dark and I don't want to ride in the dark inside, either. It makes me feel claustrophobic.

That lights on or lights off thing is a debate. For those teachers that do the lights off, we have a black light up front and glow in the dark stars. It's pretty cool actually.

I'm riding with my eyes closed mostly. Have you ever tried that:)? I know that's a very unatural thing for an outside rider to do. But, even with another person spinning 2ft next to you they are not going to vere over and take your bike out like road or trail. Btw, I do understand the claustrophobia... I need sedation and a driver to get into a MRI machine... I keep my eyes closed the whole time I am in there too.

I take that opportunity when I don't have to worry about a car running me over, or a trail tree crashing my head, to focus on other things. Like my diaphramatic breathing, pedal stroke technique, etc. I visualize riding places. Sometimes my favorite places on the most beautiful day, or other fantasy rides I have never been... even abstract things. It can be really cleansing:cool:.

EDIT: ...on the HRM, my Polar has a feature where all I need to do is bring the watch close to the chest strap and it will turn the light on without pressing any buttons (it also makes a beep as it lights up). It's the F6 model T31 coded strap. Our spinner bike computers have a feature if you turn them or a certain way at the start of the ride they will stay backlight. It uses more battery, but elminates the need to push buttons, fwiw...

Crankin
09-08-2008, 03:42 AM
My HRM is an older Polar version. It doesn't have that function.
I can't see the point of closing my eyes. It seems weird. I have made my feelings known about the lights, but I don't carry on. I was an instructor for many years, and I just deal with things. But, when most of your clients are above age 45, I think you will find that most favor the lights on!