PDA

View Full Version : zippidy doo da - Running Nov. 26-Dec.2

alpinerabbit
11-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Well, well. Forgive my creative streak. I have a vacation.

Soooo today it was another standard loop of only 8.5 k but I had just been sick for a week. So I plodded along veeeeery slowly and took about an hour. Rats. My race is in 3 weeks and I haven't been able to do the WORK!

My new insoles feel less weird already but I noted a patch where the edge is noticeable so I might get a blister come the longer runs. What do do, what to do....:( ?

roadie gal
11-28-2007, 07:38 AM
All I can say is &^%$#^&* !! I ran 3 times while I was visiting my family. That was good. The bad part is that I ran I shoes that I knew should be retired. And I ran without my insoles. Now I have plantar faciitis. $#@$%^! I went right out and bought some insoles and new shoes. But I'm down for at least a week, probably 2, if I'm lucky. feh

KSH
11-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Well, I'm trying to get back to running again. Slowly. Going from running 80 miles a month to not running at all... well my body fat is at 28%. HORRIBLE for an athlete.

So far I've only been doing short treadmill runs. Nothing too crazy.

Hopefully I'll be back at it soon. I'm also looking into racewalking, so I'm going to see if that will be a good alternative to running.

Deborajen
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
I ran two miles this morning. Hadn't had much chance to run over the Thanksgiving holiday except for a two-miler on Friday. Hmm, that was last week -- oh, well. We were at my parents' house which is at a 6500 ft. elevation in New Mexico. Not as much air there as I'm used to at our low 1250 ft. at home so it was a slow run, but it still felt good.

Now to keep it up as the days get shorter --

Deb

froglegs
11-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Ran 6 miles Sunday, but since then I have been sidelined a very sore left hamstring caused by 3 hours of shoveling road base immediately after the run. Plus now I'm sick. :mad:

kaybee
11-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Three for me this morning, first run in 11 days. :eek:

KB

OakLeaf
11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
5.41 today. It was about 42 F and I'd gone more than 2 miles before my fingers stopped hurting from the cold, and my delts never did get warm over my bad shoulder, but other than that it felt good :)

OakLeaf
11-28-2007, 02:27 PM
My new insoles feel less weird already but I noted a patch where the edge is noticeable so I might get a blister come the longer runs. What do do, what to do....:( ?

For years I got blisters on my arches from any orthotics I tried. I used all kinds of tapes and bandages with varying degrees of protection, but I could never guarantee I wasn't going to come home with a 2" x 1" blister on my arch. I don't know why I never believed lubes would work on my feet, but this fall I discovered Blister Block and I haven't had a problem since.

I don't know how well it would hold up over long runs, but after 6 miles it doesn't feel like it's starting to wear off at all.

yellow
11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
<insert string of random curse words here>

I decided that Zicam was in fact just prolonging my misery. I should have just let myself get the nasty cold last week (which I fought like the ****ens) and then it'd be mostly over by now. I have a full blown, all out head cold that is now starting to migrate to my lungs. Yay. And to think I'm supposed to go run 50k in about 60 hours. Not happy. :mad: :mad:

grumblegrumblegrumble

At least we'll have a nice weekend on the beach.

kelownagirl
11-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Ugh - sorry so many people are having a bad week with illness and injury. :(

I went for a 3kmwalk/jog again today. Two days in a row. Felt ok. DYING to run but forcing myself to walk. It's icey too so I really should be careful. I don't really want to do too much before I go for my gait analysis on Dec. 17th anyway so if I just get and walk/jog 3-4 times a week, I'll be happy.

froglegs
11-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I decided that Zicam was in fact just prolonging my misery. I should have just let myself get the nasty cold last week (which I fought like the ****ens) and then it'd be mostly over by now. I have a full blown, all out head cold that is now starting to migrate to my lungs. Yay.

This sounds exactly like my cold. I too tried to stuff my face with Zicam for a few days. I have had good results with it in the past, but this time it didn't seem to do much good, and now I have the cold that you are describing. I was going to call in sick to work today, but today just happens to be the day that something very important was happening with my project...... and the two people who could have filled in for me were also out sick. So I spent all day doing moderate physical labor instead of laying on the couch, giving my poor hamstring a rest, and getting over this cold.

Oh well. The Nyquil will kick in soon, and I might just forget to set my alarm clock.

All of this is not good for my ambitious half-marathon training schedule.

Sorry for the rant.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Wahine
11-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Awwwww Yellow!! That sucks. You've worked so hard for this!!

((((((((Hugs)))))))), maybe you'll blow it out in a day.

Grog
11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Ooops, missed the Tuesday morning run because of a meeting at 7:30 am, then stayed in bed longer this morning 'cause my sweetie is enjoying a week off and it's just good to spend some cuddle time together.

WIll catch up tomorrow!!

rocknrollgirl
11-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Holy Cow...the whole group needs some TLC....I am really sorry that you all are feeling poorly. It just stinks....

I am still taking it very easy. We did our second run this week tonight. Trail run as dark was coming on. I just made it out of the woods without needing my headlamp. Just 30 mins....

Grog
11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, had a good one this morning, a refreshing forty-something minutes in the crisp morning.

yellow
11-30-2007, 04:15 AM
Grog, I'm going to take your energy with me to the 50k. I need it!

Off to the airport in about a half hour. Hacking, coughing, and feeling generally miserable. But I'm going to do my best to pretend that I feel normal. Hoping for a good night's sleep tonight.

Have a great weekend, ladies!

rocknrollgirl
11-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Good Luck Yellow.....Feel better.

froglegs
11-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Well I spent the whole week limping, sniffling, and hacking, and finally yesterday, laying on the couch, so today I felt OK enough to shuffle my way through 2.5 miles. My leg is still a little sore and I'm still sick, but I was happy to get out there after 4 days off.

teigyr
11-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I haven't run for a while because I got that cold. It stagnated for about a week...I just felt run down and like I had the beginnings of a sinus infection. When the cold decided to present itself in all its glory, wow. It was/is bad. I've had it two weeks +/- and I'm still coughing. Decorum prevents me from describing what's coming out of my nose and lungs :eek:

Anyway, I ran today. I ran 2.5 miles and did some intervals while I was in the middle of it. I coughed a bit and when I got home I was doubled up coughing. I honestly felt like I'd be sick!

I signed up for a 5k next weekend which is more social than anything. I feel for those doing more distance though. I am trying to train for the half marathon but that is 6 mos away. I figure it's best to get better and even little things tire me out right now.

The rude thing is DH (who is healthy but doesn't exercise, doesn't diet, drinks beer all the time) got the cold and sluffed it off in a matter of hours. Life simply isn't fair sometimes!!!

Grog
12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Sweet morning. It started snowing about when I woke up this morning at 8, not a lot but just enough to cover the ground with the cute white powder. I headed out to the trails because the chilly wind made the roads a bit uncomfortable.

For me it's significantly harder to run when the temperatures are below zero and the ground is just a bit slippery. It feels like, at every step, my feet is slipping just a little bit before lifting off the ground, which makes me expand a bit more energy with every step, especially uphill. Yet, it's really refreshing. Plus, the trails were a lot let busy than usual: on the weekends it can be a real highway of runners and dog walkers out there.

Tomorrow morning I'll go for a small loop in the same area, and I will be breaking the 800 km mark, running, for this year. That should be fun!

alpinerabbit
12-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Another 8.5K loop with some 4 fast bits interspersed- I feel much weaker than I did earlier.

Could be the cold, the insoles, or the not training for a week and a half. Although I did swim 3x.

ummbnb
12-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Great to see so many runners here! I'm sitting here on the couch trying to decide if I should ride or run today. I've taken the week off to try and work through a nasty cold and I can't take it anymore....must exercise!

I generally run 4 miles a day 4-5 days a week and bike on the weekends when I have the time to get in a good long ride.

kelownagirl
12-02-2007, 08:22 AM
I did another 3km walk/run last night and I'm heading out again this morning. It's -12 C, brrrr....

froglegs
12-02-2007, 12:25 PM
7 miles this morning. Overall it was a really good run, except my new shoelaces were too tight and now my feet are killing me.

alpinerabbit
12-02-2007, 09:29 PM
An attempt at 10K cut short yesterday. Legs like lead, and we both bonked.

I felt really, really bad.

Walked home for 5K. I assume it was a combo of unwise breakfast choice, I think that cold really zapped me and the inlays are making me use new muscles. At least the shin splints are keeping quiet.

Grog
12-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Sorry Alpinerabbit that you felt so bad. It is indeed harder to run in the cold. It feels like it takes me longer to warm up, too... Don't beat yourself down too much.

Had a 8.5 km with my running partner this morning, in quite a bit of snow, so it was our slowest run this year. Fun nonetheless. Then (after showering) I walked back the same trails with my sweet (life) partner (different from the running partner!) to go for breakfast at the golf club where we had our wedding reception. (Which is by the running trails.) For those who don't remember/were not around, our wedding involved cycling to the reception (on awesome cruisers) and out at the end (on our road bikes with jerseys with Team Our-Names on it...). As we left the golf club after breakfast, the woman who works at the reception was looking at us quite intensely, and then said that our wedding was the best and most fun she had seen all summer. An "awwwwwwwwwh" moment for us, that was really nice of her. We walked back out in the snow pretty happy with ourselves. :)

Looking forward to another week of running!

kaybee
12-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Did a local 5K race Friday night and got third place in my age group! I wasn't expecting that at all, but since this is a small town, we can assume there were probably only three people in my age group to begin with!

KB

Grog
12-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Did a local 5K race Friday night and got third place in my age group! I wasn't expecting that at all, but since this is a small town, we can assume there were probably only three people in my age group to begin with!

Wow a 5K race on a Friday night. Cool idea! :)

kaybee
12-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Actually, it is a fun little race. It's called the Silver Bell Sprint, and everyone gets jingle bells for their shoes, there's a separate race for the kids, and it's run downtown, where all the Christmas lights and decorations are up. Sort of gets everyone in the Christmas mood.

KB

ummbnb
12-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Tried to get out tonight for my usual 4 mile route and barely made it. Probably got in 2 - 2.5m of actual running and the rest was spent coughing like a mad woman and walking at the quickest pace I could muster between coughing fits.

I HATE colds!!!