PDA

View Full Version : Duathlon advice

Dirt Girl
01-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi Ladies!
One of my goals for the year is to participate in a duathlon this August. It's a 2 mile run/12 mile bike/ 2 mile run, and I did the biking leg in 2003 (on my mountain bike) as a favor to my friend who runs. Well, this year we are both going to go solo. My goal is to finish as I'm not much of a runner. Any tips on what to do in the next eight months to prepare myself? I will be on a road bike this year.

The course is almost all flat for the running but rolling and overall slightly downhill on the return for the ride.

And to show how much of a novice I really am at this (and how much I didn't pay attention the year I was there):
1. Do you wear bike shorts and run in them or go for the biking comfort and deal with the padded shorts for the run?
2. Do you take the time to change shoes or just wear running shoes, giving up the advantages of clipping in to the pedals?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

SadieKate
01-12-2005, 08:23 AM
I have never done one because my knees don't run, but friends who have say the transition itself is the most difficult (i.e., painful) part. They've said you really need to fit that into your training program.

On the shorts, can you afford (or already own) a pair of lighter tri-style or spin-style shorts? I would think a light thin pad would get you comfortably through a race of this length. Cyclocrossers wear padded shorts and they do plenty of running (and lots of transitions).

slinkedog
01-12-2005, 12:48 PM
They sell tri shorts on this site, I think. My friend who does tri's always uses tri shorts because she says it gets really uncomfortable to run in cycling shorts.

pedalfaster
01-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Training: add bricks to your workout routine. In other words practice the run/bike and bike/run (most important) stuff. You need to be familiar with that "wobbly" feeling. You can also practice transitions: changing from bike shoes to running shoes and getting your helmet on/off quickly.

Gear: I stick with bike shoes. I find the advantages of cycling shoes outweigh the transition time. Again, practice this switch in training.

Running in lightly-padded (or tri) shorts is way way more comfortable than trying to ride in running shorts IMHO. Running shorts tend to be waaaay tooo short and just kinda creep up and get really uncomfortable on the bike. Again: practice running in bike shorts in training.

Other things to consider: eat (gel works best for these short-distance events) and drink drink drink on the bike.

Dirt Girl
01-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Just the stuff I was looking for. I'll probably have more questions as the year progresses. How nice to know there are people who will help. This is a really big deal to me as I've never done anything like it. I'm already getting excited.

Thanks again.

CorsairMac
01-14-2005, 11:51 AM
well - and be sure and tell us how you do!

spazzdog
01-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey Dirt Girl!

Another great site from triathlon/duathlon gear is http://www.tri-zone.com

I'm not a triathlete (hate the water :( ) but love a lot of the gear 'cause its so light weight. They have all the apparel a growing tri/dua thalete could want.

spazzdog

Dirt Girl
01-14-2005, 12:40 PM
I don't plan on making this duathlon thing a habit (but I guess five years ago I didn't think I'd have a bike habit either :D). I promise I'll NEVER swim, though. Water is not for me either.

I'm doing it as a challenge to myself and as a way to get my runner friend on the bike more. She wanted me to do the team thing again, but I told her the only way I'd go back is if we both go solo.

Maybe I need to look into the MOUNTAIN bike/run duathlons...

And who doesn't like the excuse for more gear?!

DG

SadieKate
01-14-2005, 01:36 PM
You gals are making me laugh! I hate swimming but I love to fish and row whitewater. Just don't make me put my face in the water and hold my breath!

Now, how about a triathalon where you can mountain bike, hike and fish? Here's my version of the swimming leg!

Water Leg (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sadiekatel/detail?.dir=e13b&.dnm=d20d.jpg)

CorsairMac
01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Sadie that was hilarious!

Dogmama
01-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by SadieKate
Now, how about a triathalon where you can mountain bike, hike and fish? Here's my version of the swimming leg!

Water Leg (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sadiekatel/detail?.dir=e13b&.dnm=d20d.jpg)

Is this where the bumper sticker saying came from - "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle?"

SadieKate
01-14-2005, 07:01 PM
You know, I've never been able to figure out that saying. Too literal minded, I guess.

I do know I love the sounds of running water in the river ever so much better than the roar of plugged ears. Geez, I'm glad I'm all grown up and don't have to take swimming lessons all summer long.

Dirt Girl
01-16-2005, 06:06 PM
...cool.
---------------------------------------------------
"Now, how about a triathalon where you can mountain bike, hike and fish? Here's my version of the swimming leg!"
-------------------------------------------------
Make mine a mountain bike/Nordic ski/hike. Notice: NOTHING to do with water. No swimming, no standing in it to fish, no touching the fish that live in it.

Okay, so I will drink it.

SadieKate
01-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Girl
Make mine a mountain bike/Nordic ski/hike. Notice: NOTHING to do with water. No swimming, no standing in it to fish, no touching the fish that live in it.

Now, wait a minute. Just what are you skiing on? Strikes me that snow is just water in another form. ;)

Dirt Girl
01-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I thought about that while skiing today, but if I fall in it, I can just dust myself off and not get WET, thus making it more similar to dirt than water.:D

Dirt Girl likes dirt!

SadieKate
01-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Girl
I thought about that while skiing today, but if I fall in it, I can just dust myself off and not get WET, thus making it more similar to dirt than water.:D

So, what if you fall in the mud?

Dirt Girl
01-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by SadieKate
So, what if you fall in the mud?

Then I'd get muddy, not wet!;) It just feels different.

I'm actually not a fan of riding in the mud, so I don't do it very often. It's not that I mind getting muddy; I just don't have as much fun. Fortunately, it's a dry climate here. When we do get rain, we tend to stay off the trails until they can be ridden without damage.

I know, I know. A mountain biker who doesn't like to ride in the mud. I agree. Something IS wrong with that.

CorsairMac
01-24-2005, 01:11 PM
ROFL - actually I was thinking more along the lines of "a girl whose ID is DirtGirl and she doesn't like to get dirty?" ;)

Dogmama
01-24-2005, 05:37 PM
How often do you brick?

(Really dumb question) who takes your running shoes & helmet when you transition? Do you have your sweetie standing by or...?

I'd like to do this. I've been running more & finding that I kinda enjoy it. Now, all I have to do is find one around my area...

Do they break into age brackets? I just turned 50, so maybe I could kick some a**?

pedalfaster
01-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Dogmama
How often do you brick?

(Really dumb question) who takes your running shoes & helmet when you transition? Do you have your sweetie standing by or...?

I'd like to do this. I've been running more & finding that I kinda enjoy it. Now, all I have to do is find one around my area...

Do they break into age brackets? I just turned 50, so maybe I could kick some a**?

During du/tri season we (I dunno why but bricks are more fun with a group) do a bike/run brick at least few times per month.

One thing you can do if you time is limited: do your normal, planned bike ride. Transition and do a short (10-15 minute run). That way you get to at least experice the wobblies.

We usually transition at someone's house. Set up all of your running gear in a garage/enclosed porch or other safe place.

Triathlons are broken into either 5 or 10 year age brackets. There are some pretty tough 50-year old women out there! :D

Dogmama
01-25-2005, 02:46 AM
Pedalfaster - thanks! Since the rain Goddess has seen fit to show her face on weekends, I will try to brick at the gym between spinning classes and the treadmill.

I wasn't clear before - sorry - during the actual race, who takes your things?

pedalfaster
01-25-2005, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Dogmama

I wasn't clear before - sorry - during the actual race, who takes your things?

During the race your gear lives in the "transition area". Most races have these areas roped off and have course marshalls guarding the exit/entrance. Only registered racers with numbers are allowed in the area. Most promoters have some sort of rack for hanging your bike. Hang your helmet on your bike (handlebars work well). Have energy drink and/or water ready to go in your bottle cages. Lay a towel next to your bike. Place your bike shoes (unless you feel ready to try the shoes-on-the-bike trick!sunglasses and running gear (shoes, hat?) on the towel. Some people use the towel to sit , as they transition. I prefer to stand and use the time putting on shoes to stretch.

If the weather isn't cooperating for riding, I'll sometimes do winter bricks: spin inside on the trainer for ~30 minutes, then go outside (I'm warm by then) for a 30 min run. I actually LIKE to run in the rain :cool:

Dirt Girl
01-27-2005, 07:32 PM
ROFL - actually I was thinking more along the lines of "a girl whose ID is DirtGirl and she doesn't like to get dirty?" ;)

I have loads of fun in the dirt. I really just don't think mud riding is fun.

annaria
01-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi Ladies!
One of my goals for the year is to participate in a duathlon this August. It's a 2 mile run/12 mile bike/ 2 mile run, and I did the biking leg in 2003 (on my mountain bike) as a favor to my friend who runs. Well, this year we are both going to go solo. My goal is to finish as I'm not much of a runner. Any tips on what to do in the next eight months to prepare myself? I will be on a road bike this year.

The course is almost all flat for the running but rolling and overall slightly downhill on the return for the ride.

And to show how much of a novice I really am at this (and how much I didn't pay attention the year I was there):
1. Do you wear bike shorts and run in them or go for the biking comfort and deal with the padded shorts for the run?
2. Do you take the time to change shoes or just wear running shoes, giving up the advantages of clipping in to the pedals?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Eight months is a long time to prepare for a duathlon. What are your goals? If it is only to finish, then it should be fairly easy. How often do you workout now? Most duathletes have similar training schedules with triathletes, without the swim. I did my first duathlon as part of my training for triathlon. How much do you run now? Go to trinewbies.com for training tips for beginners.

1. I wear trishorts - comfy enough on the bike, comfy enough on the run. Regular bike shorts are too thickly padded for the run.
2. I'm definitely faster with clipless pedals. Have someone teach you to mount and dismount your bike with the shoes attached to the bike. It makes transitions faster and you get maximum style points.

Dirt Girl
01-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Eight months is a long time to prepare for a duathlon. What are your goals? If it is only to finish, then it should be fairly easy. How often do you workout now? Most duathletes have similar training schedules with triathletes, without the swim. I did my first duathlon as part of my training for triathlon. How much do you run now? Go to trinewbies.com for training tips for beginners.

I'm in the best shape of my life, but I'm not one of those gals who has been an athlete since forever. Prior to taking up mountain biking, the most I'd ever done was play organized softball for 20 years and there was a year or two when I walked for three flat miles a day to release work stress. I have no doubt that by starting now, I'll be able to reach my goal of finishing. I've toyed with time goals, but I think it would be best to save that for later. I really don't want to get into the competition mindset as another one of my personal goals for the year is to not compare myself to others and to concentrate on doing my own thing. As I've never done this before, I have no idea where I'll be timewise, so I can't try to beat my own time this year.

Between lack of snow and illness, this winter hasn't been a normal workout schedule. I just started getting back to things in the past couple of weeks. I hope to jog twice a week, lift twice a week, stretch whenever possible and have two to three more days of aerobic activity (hiking, XC ski if possible, step aerobics or ride) which is currently my weakness. This riding season I hope to road ride 2x a week and still keep my 3-4x a week mountain bike rides. This might be tough for me if I keep up the 2x a week jogging. We'll see. I haven't jogged (and I do mean jog as I'm not fast enough to say run) more than about 2.5 miles at a time. I don't have the runner body type and it is not a natural thing for me. I've always been more of a sprinter type person. That's why just the goal of finishing is a big deal for me at this point.

Thanks for the response and the link! I appreciate it.

DirtDiva
02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Now this (http://www3.nzski.com/mthutt/news_index.asp?newsletterId=2852) is my idea of a triathlon. Well, in a team so I didn't have to do the running part; running's just so, well, hard.

lyz2814
03-11-2005, 12:02 PM
I am so excited to see some du folks here. I'm doing my first in October (the Cape Henlopen Tri/Du), and am already wondering about training. With the temeratures now at 20 degrees :mad:

Crash
04-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi all,
I just decided to do my first Duathlon in 2 wks. :eek: The check goes in the mail today before I allow myself to think.
I have been training for the 5/3 Riverbank Run (25K) May 13. Can't say I am happy with my long runs. I love to cycle and thought this would be a break. I know I am not being sensible about this! I will be doing a long run 3 days before the Du. I haven't practiced transistions or blocks... Darn I should have put that ck in the mail before I wrote this. Oh well, I will do it for the experience. I will probably have to run/walk the run legs. Okay, my fears are off my chest. Now the positive :D HELP
crash

CorsairMac
04-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Sometimes ya just gotta be like Nike and "do it"! Sounds like you're nervous, excited and a tad anxious but I'm betting you're gonna do just fine! Mail that check - you only live once!! and let us know how it went!

skibum
04-18-2005, 07:28 AM
I say go for it!! I've done two duathlons and have never practiced transitions or done bricks. You can still do fine without that. Your legs may feel a little rubbery when you get off the bike and start the run but that feeling will fade.

I've noticed that a lot of people are out there just for the fun of it. I've seen people walking and people pushing their bikes up a tough hill. But they're out there doing it and most of them have a huge grin on their faces.

If you've been running/riding regularly, you will do great. Have fun and let us know how it turns out!

Crash
04-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Thank you guys for the support.
I mailed the check yesterday. I am getting excited.
It is early in the season so if I am bit by the bug (highly likely) there will be several more races to see impovement. Also in June I move into the 50 - 54 age group. The race is May 1. I will let you know how it goes.

CorsairMac
04-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Thank you guys for the support.
I mailed the check yesterday. I am getting excited.
It is early in the season so if I am bit by the bug (highly likely) there will be several more races to see impovement. Also in June I move into the 50 - 54 age group. The race is May 1. I will let you know how it goes.

Good for you on all counts!.....now be sure and tell us how it went!