PDA

View Full Version : trail running

knapplaura
11-24-2007, 04:09 AM
Yesterday I went for a trail run on the mountain bike 'area' out here. The trail was 7 miles, and marked every half mile (though somehow I never saw the 5s). It was relatively hilly, with some roots around, and I fell once.

It was strange b/c I was out running for about 1:30. It was just so much slower than my road running! So I am wondering if it is worthwhile to do trail running.

Anyone have any opinions on it?

thanks
Laura

limewave
11-24-2007, 04:42 AM
I don't know any facts or statistics, but trail running is definitely good for the soul. And the hills are great for strength training. I find that I'm a better runner on the road if I do at least one hard trail run a week. Trail running is tough, but it makes you stronger.

yellow
11-24-2007, 04:55 AM
Good things about trail running:

The lateral movement strengthens muscles that don't get used when road running. Since I've been trail running exclusively I haven't twisted an ankle once. And I used to twist them all the time.
If you run hills, you'll get some mighty shapely calves and quads ;)
You can (and sometimes should) walk the uphills. If you walk with purpose, it won't slow you down at all and may in fact allow you to recover enough to go faster on the flats and downhills.
No vehicle exhaust.
It's love for your knees and hips (if you have cranky knees and hips like I do).
Birdsong.
Everybody's happy.

The bad things about trail running:
[can't think of any]

Seriously, it won't hurt your road training if that's what you are worried about, even though you are going slower. I have some routes where I average 9 mm and others where I average 11:30 mm or slower...just depends on the terrain, the day, etc.

It is a whole different animal and requires a different mindset. You will learn how to pick your feet up more (which will in turn build your legs in a way that is very different from road running). Light and quick, that's what I always tell myself. I probably fall once a month, usually on a stretch of trail that isn't technical as I tend to pay less attention when my brain doesn't see so many rocks and whatnot.

And as Limewave says, it's good for the soul. :D

Have fun!

Tri Girl
11-24-2007, 05:41 AM
I LOVE trail running, although I have to work a lot harder at it! ;) My HR is always higher, while my pace is always slower, but like yellow and limewave have pointed out: it's a really good workout. I like being protected from the elements on the trail (during winter- most of my runs are on the trail to avoid the usual windy and cold conditions of the open road). Although I run slower, I think it does my body good in other ways. And yes, it's good for the soul. To see nature up close, to hear the rustling of leaves that the squirrels and deer make, and to feel "free" are all reasons why I trail run.
It'll do you good- just keep at it!

runner2
12-26-2007, 06:21 PM
I have been trail running for a long time, love it! My puppy is 10 monthes old, I am thinking about taking her with me to the trail.
She got all the shots she need, she is a big girl, nearly 50 lbs. Are there anythings else I should know but bringing the leash and water?
Any input will be greatly appreciate.

runner2

roadie gal
12-27-2007, 06:24 AM
I have been trail running for a long time, love it! My puppy is 10 monthes old, I am thinking about taking her with me to the trail.
She got all the shots she need, she is a big girl, nearly 50 lbs. Are there anythings else I should know but bringing the leash and water?
Any input will be greatly appreciate.

runner2

A lot depends on the type of dog. 10 months might be too young to go for a long run. The bigger the breed, the longer you have to wait to run them. The giant breeds are prone to elbow and knee problems if you run them too soon.

lauraspark
12-29-2007, 05:07 PM
For those of you who do trail running...do you use different shoes than what you use for road running?

Thanks in advance for your replies...:)

Tri Girl
12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
For those of you who do trail running...do you use different shoes than what you use for road running?

Thanks in advance for your replies...:)

When I first started trail running- no. I just wore an old pair of road shoes. Now I have a pair of trail shoes. Depends on the type of terrain you're running on. Around here our trails are mostly smooth, with roots and very few rocks, so the running store shoe guy said I could get away with road shoes. I bought the trail shoes for the waterproof top (lots of puddles here), and for the extra flexibility (I wear motion control road running shoes, so they're not as "giving" as the trail shoes). If it were really rocky and unstable sufacing- the trail shoes would be a must. If you want to trail run, use your road shoes, then buy some trail shoes if you decide it's worth the investment and want to run on trails a lot. Have fun!

Wahine
12-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Laura - as others here have already pointed out, trail running is definitely slower. I usually estimate a 1 to 2 min/mile drop in pace. So when I have trail runs as part of my workout program I train by time and not by distance. If it's supposed to be a LSD run, I will walk the steeper hills. I also sometimes trade out a interval workout for a med to high intensity trail run. It is very nice for breaking up the monotony.

As for trail shoes, I have a pair. I like them for the better lateral support they give me over my road shoes and the gortex uppers are nice as well. You can trail run in road shoes, just be alert and watch out for long stretches of trail that slope to the side. These will break down road shoes very quickly and will leave your lower leg muscles very tired.

yellow
12-30-2007, 12:36 PM
runner2: I usually only take my dog with me in the winter as she is verrrrry high energy and usually overdoes it, which means that she tends to get too overheated in the warmer months. Plus, most of our trails here are shared with mtn bikes and the dog still hasn't figured out that she needs to move out of the path of a bicycle. So I leave her home in the summer and we go for long walks at night. But she loves running with me in the winter, since she loves the snow. I second roadiegal's comment about waiting until she's older and more "fully grown". Overdoing it with young big dogs can be really, really hard on their musculoskeletal systems.

TriGirl...that's interesting that you find trail shoes more giving. But since I wore neutral road shoes, I guess that would explain why I find trail shoes to be much stiffer overall (I have tried wearing them on the treadmill and ended up with so much pain in my feet that I had to go out and buy a new pair of road shoes...and the road shoes feel so squishy to me now. I hate them!!! :p ).

Lauraspark, as others have said, you can run smooth and nontechnical trails in road shoes, no problem. I use trail shoes, but I run a lot of rocky and technical terrain. I have the non-Goretex ones as my feet get too hot in the Goretex ones. I run in the snow, mud, and rain and find that if I wear wool socks, my feet are fine. One tip is to see if your favorite road shoe comes in a "trail" or "all terrain" version. I know that Asics and New Balance have both used this model (I used to run in neutral NB distance shoes, and went straight to the neutral trail shoe without a problem). Ask at your local running store. But I think TriGirl's advice is right on...try it in your road shoes and if you love it, make the investment in some trail shoes. :)

runner2
12-31-2007, 01:02 PM
A lot depends on the type of dog. 10 months might be too young to go for a long run. The bigger the breed, the longer you have to wait to run them. The giant breeds are prone to elbow and knee problems if you run them too soon.

Roadie gal, yellow, thanks for the advice. Kali is a Husky, loves cold winter weather and outdoor, very high energy.
I think I am going to wait until she is a little bit older, we have to do our short street run for now.
Thanks.

Runner2

wannaduacentury
01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I'd love to start trail running too as a cross train to riding. I have a road and mtn bike so I love to ride and walk in the woods too. What's the best way to start trail running when you're used to walking? I sometimes run for a short piece just for fun. Jennifer