PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a fuel belt (or any kind of water-carrying belt)?

froglegs
11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm at the point with my running where I need to be carrying fluids. I hate carrying a water bottle in my hand, so I'm thinking about getting a fuel belt or something similar. I am short (5'-2.5") and I wonder if my arms will hit it. Does anyone use one, and do you like it?

nonsmoker3
11-20-2007, 04:16 AM
I use a camelback waist belt. i really like it, especially for warm weather because you can put ice in it. It was $14 from Performance Bike.

The fuel belts just seem wierd to me.

baskingshark
11-20-2007, 04:55 AM
My husband runs with an amphipod waist belt - the bottle is slightly flattened and it sits fairly flat against your back

limewave
11-20-2007, 04:59 AM
I can NOT stand having something around my waist when I run. I have a water bottle with a strap that goes around my hand. But, DH has a fuel belt and really likes it.

Andrea
11-20-2007, 06:40 AM
I have a Nathan water pack that goes around the waist that I'll sell to you. I decided after I used it a couple of times that I wanted something larger, so I went to a back back. It's the pulse- you can see here: http://www.nathansports.com/our_products/hydration_nutrition/pulse.html

I'll sell it for $30 shipped!

Grog
11-20-2007, 07:09 AM
I've tried running with a small camelback. No success for me. I really hate the sloshing of water in such a big container, plus I only need a few sips of water during the whole run, I never run in the heat. I don't think I'd be happy with the water-bottle style either.

I've ran carrying only one flask of water. It's not big (it's the size of a gel flask but actually comes from the drugstore travel containers section) but it's just enough water for my needs. It was a bit slippery, would have been better with a bit of rubber around it. I might modify it. Because it's small it's also light, and when it's empty it goes in my jersey's rear pockets (I go on long runs with cycling jerseys).

I've said that all I want for Christmas is a fuel belt, and I think Those Who Give Gifts have. :) I'll let you know how it works out!

ehirsch83
11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
I use a fuel belt and I love it. I used to use a camelback waist belt, and found it akward. It bounced around when it was completely full to almost half full- not very comfy. The fuel belt, I don't notice- because it is all distributed evenly in the flasks around my waist.

yellow
11-20-2007, 09:33 AM
It's not a waist belt, but I have a Nathan running pack that I love except that it does not have a little key-clippie thing. It wears like a vest and does not bounce around at all.

http://www.nathansports.com/our_products/hydration_nutrition/intensity.html

The pack carries a lot of water and I only use it if I'm going to be out running for more than about 1.5 hours. I'll bet that Nathan Pulse is nice for shorter runs. I hate carrying things in my hands when I run.

Running Mommy
11-20-2007, 01:08 PM
I've used em all...
I had the first generation of camelbak waist packs. Pretty bulky. The new ones are much better, but I have a cranky lower back, and it hates the weight tugging at it. I have enough weight w/ my gut! :eek:
I also have a fuelbelt. I like it, but sometimes the bottles are a pain to get back in the elastic holder thingys.
I'm thinking the amphod looks like it would work swell.
So knowing me, the queen of the gadgets, I'll get one soon for IMAZ training..:p

VeloVT
11-20-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm one of those that can't stand having something around my waist while running. I wear a small women's specific Camelbak backpack on long runs. BF doesn't like the idea of running with a Camelbak, so after much research and hemming and hawing (I'm a much more impulsive gear buyer than he is), we ended up with an Amphipod belt, one of the ones that have modular bottles like Fuelbelts. The bottles seemed easier to remove and replace on the Amphipod than on the Fuelbelt. I haven't used it yet (I am curious to try it but still don't think I'll be able to get used to having something on my waist), but he likes it a lot.

Kathyrides
11-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I have a fuel belt, amphipod belt, and a nathan hand held thing.

It depends how long I'm running for which I use as I have a pretty high sweat rate and aim to drink 48 oz/hour running.

I hate my amphipod one as the bottles always fall out..which stinks. They are supposed to be super adjustable which they are but I don't like doubling back to get the dropped bottles. I like that the waist size is adjustable so if you lose weight you don't need another one. Anyone interested in one I'll sell you mine.

I like Fuelbelt and would use it more but going for 2-3 hour run means filling it up which takes longer as I have 6 little bottles than filling up a simple water bottle. I find it comfortable and works well for me on long runs if I had enough water. It does feel a little funky but I get used to it and it doesn't bounce around much.

In practicing for my half ironman run 13.1 miles with water stops, I just used the hand held water bottle and refilled it 2x an hour. I did a 5.5 mile loop and stopped at my house and the Y to refill.

I have considered getting a camel back of some type so I can go farther without having to stop for refills, but I need frequent bathroom breaks too and not many places are wooded and secluded near me.

OakLeaf
11-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Does it make a difference to whether it sloshes around, whether there's air in the pack or not?

It seems to make a difference for me cycling and walking, if I'm careful to fill the pack *completely* full of water, or evacuate any air space if I'm not filling it. But I've never tried running with a hydration pack.

HillSlugger
11-20-2007, 04:49 PM
I didn't like running with a hydration pack (waist or back) because I didn't like the swinging and slapping of the hose. I use a Nathan Angled Waterbottle Pack (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=15418). I hated the bottle that came with it but a standard bike waterbottle fits fine. The pocket is fairly small, just large enough for ID, keys, and possibly a small cell phone.

Grog
11-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Has anyone tried this?
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=20317
http://www.teamestrogen.com/images/products/NN-4611N-ALL_lrg.jpg

froglegs
11-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Wow... so it sounds like there are a lot of different opinions. I guess I'll have to just try something and see how it goes. Thanks everyone!!

Shiraz
11-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I run with a waist belt similar to the Nathan Angled water belt called Ultimate Diections Access. I love it! I have tried about everything and have found that the belt is stable not too heavy, I have a key clip and a place to stash gels and cell if needed. I also have a cranky hip / back and have not had issues with it.

Jolt
11-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I didn't like running with a hydration pack (waist or back) because I didn't like the swinging and slapping of the hose. I use a Nathan Angled Waterbottle Pack (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=15418). I hated the bottle that came with it but a standard bike waterbottle fits fine. The pocket is fairly small, just large enough for ID, keys, and possibly a small cell phone.

I use one of those as well, and I don't have any problem with it getting in the way of my arms etc. (I'm short too). And yes, the fact that it fits a regular bike water bottle is a plus.

froglegs
11-25-2007, 11:56 AM
A couple days ago I found myself at a sporting goods store. They didn't have much in the way of waist packs, but they did have an Outdoor Typhoon on sale for $12, so I bought it. It is a very simple 2-liter backpack. This morning I took it on its maiden voyage, a hilly 6 mile run. It was comfortable and did its job quite well. Of course I have no frame of reference and I'm sure there are better hydration packs out there, but for the price (and the fact that I picked it up on a whim) I wasn't really expecting much, and I am quite pleased.

I do have one complaint though - no pockets. None. I was hoping for a place to stick a gel or cell phone or something but there is nothing, just the main compartment for the water bladder, which is impossible to access while running. Oh well, I'm sure I can find a way to work around this.