PDA

View Full Version : Running!! Nov 18-24

froglegs
11-19-2007, 08:23 AM
5 miles yesterday, mostly uphill. I had my husband drop me off at the gym, then did some weights and ran home. It was only a slightly over 1% average grade, but it seemed way more difficult than a run with no net elevation change.

rocknrollgirl
11-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Did my first workout in about 5 weeks. It felt really good. I was able to apply some of the stuff I learned at the run clinic in Boston.

Grog
11-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Rolled out of bed this morning at 6:45, booted up the computer to check the current weather... (I wouldn't know what channel the weather is on, I never watch TV.) At 6:38 a.m. it was 0 C! Freezing! Wow.

I had my Smartwool beanie ready, picked up the warmest of my tights, longsleeve wool top and my windbreaker. Of course the gloves were gone AWOL but I, hum, "borrowed" a pair. Caught up at 7 on the dot with my running partners just outside the door.

It was quite pleasant out there, the concrete surfaces were fine (sidewalk) but asphalt was slippery. Painted lines, of course, are worst. It's hard to run on a thin layer of ice - there was a tiny bit of fog - because you're always sort of stopping your motion, taking shorter strides, etc. but it was refreshing. :) It's not really going to get much colder than that, but it really feels like "winter" now! It was a nice 7 K.

Bring it on! I love running in this weather.

OakLeaf
11-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Sanity run today. My mom had both her knees replaced on Monday, so my dad and I have been at the hospital all week helping coach her on her PT. Beautiful day in Maryland from what we could see out the windows. I just caught the tail end of daylight and ended my run in the dark - wishing I had more reflective clothing for sure, but there wasn't much traffic tonight. A lot of tree overhang meant my GPS cut out a few times, but mapmyride.com calls it 5.23.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

yellow
11-22-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm with you, Grog. I love running in the cold weather. :D

I ran with my Sunday group this morning (we decided to have a "holiday" run also), though I broke off about half way as I wanted to go a little farther. It was about 27 F when we started, not super cold, so it felt really, really good. The sun came up over the mountains about half way thru my run and I had to take off my gloves and hat even though it was only 30 when I finished. I ended up going about 2 miles farther than I wanted but oh well. Tomorrow is a rest day.

RNRG, wow, 5 weeks! That's great that you felt good. I think if I took 5 weeks off I'd never start again. The pull of the sofa is so great...:p

Grog
11-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Oooh, yeah, talk about it!

It was -3 C this morning (so about 27 F) and it was really nice, not so slippery this time (perhaps a little less humid, like 98% instead of 100%!). We ran along a road called Marine Dr. from which, through the trees, you can see the ocean and the mountains of Vancouver Island across the Georgia Strait. The pink hues made the scenery really beautiful.

I asked one of my running friends, as we were running back: Don't you feel like a hero when you do this? She did. So did I. The hard part is really rolling out of bed and into my running clothes*. Once I've got even one piece of running clothing on, there's no turning back.

I'm surprised I was so comfortable because running in cold weather used to hurt my lungs a bit. I guess I've grown used to it.

Glad we share this, Yellow. :) You're a hero too!

OakLeaf
11-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Basically the same route today as yesterday, two laps of the little golf course, but shortened up a bit. Beautiful day in Maryland, unfortunately as soon as the kitchen chores were under control and I got out on the road, it started to rain. I don't mind running in the wet when it's 70 degrees outside! No gritty derailleurs to clean :) 4.26 today, my mom was discharged from the hospital and she's doing great.

tattiefritter
11-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Not much running for me this week due to falling of my MTB and trying to impale myself on the bars on Saturday, then to round off the weekend I came down with a stomach bug and was in bed for all of Sunday and some of Monday. I seem to have shaken it off now and went out for a run with the club last night to determine whether I was up for running my 10K on Saturday or not. The run went well, if a little quick as there were a lot of people around and the groups hadn't quite split into the normal structure, fast, medium, mere mortal. I managed to hang on with some of the faster ones (not the stupidly fast run like the wind ones) just which gave me confidence for Saturday and my chest only hurt on the longer downhills. The 10K course is pretty flat so I'm going to have a go.

rocknrollgirl
11-23-2007, 03:50 AM
We did another easy 30 min workout yesterday. Warm-up, some easy repeats, cool down. Felt good.

froglegs
11-24-2007, 07:53 AM
A sad 20 minutes on the treadmill for me yesterday. I just wasn't feeling it. I don't think I hydrated properly. Maybe it was all the stuffing.

kelownagirl
11-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Anyone have EI asthma? I have a puffer that I used to use all the time when riding but now I only need it when the temps are below about 8 celcius. This will be my first time running in the winter. I wonder if I'll need my puffer and whether it'll be too hard on my lungs?

I suppose I could just get dressed and go outside and find out for myself....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Shiraz
11-24-2007, 01:31 PM
This was a challenging week to get miles in.

Sunday : no run..came home from a trip OOT to family at the house.
Monday : no run..worked til late.. exhausted
Tuesday : no run worked late... exhausted
Wednesday : Finally ran intervals = 7.25 miles
Thursday : Easy 5 miles before heading to the folks to EAT and EAT
Friday : No run worked late
Saturday : 12.25 miles LSR in FREEZING weather.

Started out at 15 degrees F this AM at 0830 and warmed up to 25 degrees but it felt pretty good. Once we started runniing we warmed up pretty fast. I didn't push it hard just wanted the miles. Smart wool socks are the best.

One week from tomorrow is the Las Vegas 1/2 mary.

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!!

rocknrollgirl
11-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Yellow,
I was not veggin' for 5 weeks, just chillin'. I needed to chill at the end of my season. I hiked, did some easy swims, spun around the hood on my bike, lifted some light weights. I did not run because my knee was hurting. I am just starting back to some base training now. Nice and easy.

Grog
11-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Anyone have EI asthma? I have a puffer that I used to use all the time when riding but now I only need it when the temps are below about 8 celcius. This will be my first time running in the winter. I wonder if I'll need my puffer and whether it'll be too hard on my lungs?

I suppose I could just get dressed and go outside and find out for myself....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

I do, but I resist diagnosis. I don't like taking medication for what I perceive as a variation of normal... But do take your pump with you!

My airways do not really swell, but they get filled up with snotty goop. Thus the snot rockets (which, I know, you abhor) and some degree of spitting.

I find it a lot easier this year than last year, too. I think it becomes a habit. It's always easier to do it progressively. I'm glad I started running consistently in September, so I got used to the change in temperature... Perhaps you could try going for very short periods at first, like 10-15 minutes, and increasing your times progressively?

Grog
11-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Had a great, short tempo run on Saturday, and a 15-km slower one today. I love this weather.

kelownagirl
11-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks Grog. :)

yellow
11-25-2007, 03:32 PM
I've been attacked by a head cold, and only a week to go before the 50k. :( I'm religiously using Zicam, hoping that it really does work.

But...I don't feel too horrible, just really stuffy. I still managed to get most of my miles in this week (2 miles shy of the target) and am now truly on the downhill slide...4 miles tomorrow, 3 miles on Tuesday, 2 miles on Wednesday and then no more until the run on Saturday.

Shiraz, you are truly a rock star. I don't think I know anyone that has run as many half marathons in one season as you have. :D

limewave
11-25-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm so sick. I haven't run at all this week :( My throat hurts, I can't talk, I keep coughing, and I"m achy. I don't think I"ll ever feel better.

alpinerabbit
11-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Oh you will.

I spent a week in France brushing up my french, was planning on an early morning jog 4x, but woke up the first morrning with a lump in my tonsils. Went anyway.
Then it got worse, from aches&pains to shivering cold, sinus congestion, cough attacks during class, it went frigging everywhere, changed its location day to day.

Finally came home for some codeine doping, now I feel like it's going away. I will go swimming tonight, now that I can actually fully inhale again :mad:

I have a nice tenor voice today :D

rocknrollgirl
11-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Sorry to hear you guys are not feeling well. Yuk. It is the worst. Even when you start to feel better you have all of the gunk to deal with. Sending some get better vibes....

tattiefritter
11-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Did my 10K road race on Saturday 24th, abysmal weather - strong winds (18 mph average and 25mph gusts) and rain. The first 4k were straight into the wind and rain, could hardly see at one point the rain was lashing my face so much and I was freezing! After the first 4K conditions improved slightly and it stopped raining and warmed up a bit but I was absolutely shattered by 8K, I was convinced I was about to bonk (didn't think that was possible at 10K but hey ho) as I just wanted to lie down and go to sleep. I slowed to a shuffle just before the 9k mark and gave myself a stern talking to and picked up the pace to the end to make sure I beat last years time. Results time was 51.25 which was faster than last years running of this race at 52.11 but I found it much harder this year. My km splits show I actually ran a fairly even paced race however I paid for the effort expended on the first 4K in the later stages.

My lack of speedwork and road endurance really showed for this 10K as I have been focussed on running hills and mud so I have some work to do to get to my goal of sub 50 minutes. On the plus side I did a very good warmup and my body was ready for the hard pace from the off which I was pleased about.

Kimmyt
11-26-2007, 05:03 AM
Well our training officially started up again. I pulled out the UA tights and The Boy and I ran while we were visiting his folks in Indy. We're training for the half-marathon his sis always runs, so it was fun talking shop with her (and even better news, I think she's interested in doing a tri! we went test riding bikes for her, but I'm keeping my eyes out for a used one in her size since she has two young kids and not a whole heck of alot of money). We ran 3 miles in the cold and I actually felt really good, just a little heaviness in my legs the first 1.5 miles but then it worked out and I probably could have gone longer.

Viva la training season!

K.

edited to say that i'm feeling yalls pain, i got infected by The Boy's nephew and am now suffering a doozy of a head cold. Ugh. Makes work on a Monday that much harder!

Grog
11-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Did my 10K road race on Saturday 24th, abysmal weather

What a strong runner in the face of adversity! Good job Tattiefritter!!

rocknrollgirl
11-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Hi Guys...

35 mins, in the dark, in the rain, ON THE ROAD....blech....say the trail runner.

Shiraz
11-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Tattie, you had an amazing run considering the wind and rain!! Congratulations!

Yellow, Hope you are feeling 110% by Saturday.

Limewave,Sending the feel better angels your way.

Sunday I did a core strength DVD and a pilates DVD. Man, was I sore. Apparently I need to do it more often.:) No run on Monday and a 3 mile easy on the treadmill. I need to run intervals tomorrrow and than another easy run Friday.

kelownagirl
11-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Well I finally stepped my toe back into the water tonight and went our for a 3k walk/run. Mostly walking since it's day 1, and very icey out....