PDA

View Full Version : Chi Running Rocks

teresa
11-17-2007, 12:54 PM
This is the deal. I am what most of you would consider a beginning runner. I am one of those that was convinced that by body was just not going to be able to run well or without a lot of discomfort. I finally got up to two miles on the treadmill but with a lot of shin discomfort and the time just dragged. No fun at all. Okay, well, all that has changed with one Chi running lesson. I met with an instructor this morning who, in 1 1/2 hours has probably changed running for me forever. Today I ran 3 miles and it was a PIECE OF CAKE!!! The time flew (45 minutes, so yes, I was slow as molasses) but it was a freaking blast! I feel like a new woman! I HAVE A QUESTION FOR MORE EXPERIENCED RUNNERS: If I can run 3 on the treadmill, do you think I can do the same on the road? Does one equal the other in difficulty as a rule? :D :D :D

KnottedYet
11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I found the treadmill very difficult for chi-running, it doesn't match my speed and stride right and it just doesn't work for me.

I'm afraid I'm very low tech when it comes to running.:o

velogirl
11-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I find I can run longer on the road, trail, or even the track than I can run on the treadmill. I get very tender IT bands on the treadmill, but have no discomfort on other surfaces.

froglegs
11-17-2007, 09:40 PM
I find treadmill running to be harder than road running just because it is so incredibly boring. But as far as difficulty, I think the hilly roads around my neighborhood are much harder to run on than a treadmill, even if I make the treadmill do hill intervals. A treadmill tends to propel you a little bit, plus if you are trying to maintain a certain pace, obviously this is not automated on the road the way it is on a treadmill, so you have to be more tuned in to what you are doing.

I, like you, have always been one of those people who thought I was not built for running, but I've always done a little of it on and off. About a month ago I started triathlon training and found that I really enjoy running now much more than I ever have. Tomorrow I have five miles planned and I'm actually looking foward to it.

Wahine
11-17-2007, 10:56 PM
The treadmill does not work your calves and glutes as much as road running does. So I always tell clients to work with the treadmill on a 1% grade for a week and see how they feel before transitioning to the outdoors. This is only applicable if all you've been doing is treadmill running or if you're recovering from an injury. If you situation is otherwise, just go out and have at 'er, see how it goes.

SnappyPix
11-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Teresa,
Great to hear that Chi Running has been so inspirational and is working for you. I'm currently dabbling with the techniques myself - trying to "unlearn" bad habits and start off with a clean slate (and hopefully actually start to enjoy running, rather than hate it).
Your post was really relevant for me - I bought a treadmill about a month ago and am now starting to think about incorporating outside runs (despite the weather) into my program, as I'm hoping to complete a half marathon at the end of next year and realise that I need to make the transition between the treadmill and the outdoors.
I currently have the incline on the treadmill set at 2%, as I've heard that's a more realistic replica of running on the road.
Keep us posted about your progress as I'm interested to hear how you're progressing.

teresa
12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Running is weird. Last week was great and I felt like I was really making progress. This week I feel like my feet are in concrete and my knees and ankles hurt in spite of making a real effort to use my newly acquired chi running skills. I can't figure it out. The only thing I can come up with is that I actually ran on the road over the weekend and I wonder if I hurt myself without knowing it at the time. That was on Saturday. When I returned to the treadmill on Monday I just couldn't do it. I think I had eaten enough that day and had taken in enough carbs. I didn't even try on Tuesday (it was my birthday) or Wednesday so tonight I really wanted to go out, so I took a flashlight with me on the road (it is dark almost when I get off work) and off I went. By the time I got back (only 2 miles later) I was jogging like a cripple. My right ankle hurt and my left knee. I don't know what I was doing wrong. It makes me soooo mad because I thought I was doing so well with my 3 mile routine.

Do you sometimes just have bad weeks with legs of lead?

teigyr
12-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I do. I have previous injuries and orthotics but it's strange...there are days when it seems like everything should go wrong (I get up late, the weather is bad) and I have a fantastic run. There are days when it should be perfect and it isn't. My spots of pain roam around so it's difficult to tell me PT what hurts because one day it'll be a spot in my ankle, another day it will be something else.

Maybe you're overtraining?

I can relate though. Today I did an increased distance and it felt surprisingly good. Today I did a short distance and it was a struggle. That's what made me think of overtraining or not enough recovery time. Maybe keep a training log?

luvs2ride
12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
yes, there are days when I feel really "speedy" and other days when I have "leggs of lead" . . most times, it makes no sense. Treadmill running is easier for me as long as I have a good CD to listen to or one of my kids to read to me or keep me company. Whenever I run on the road (which is infrequently at this time despite a history of marathon running) my ankles and shins get very sore. I recently got new shoes and this has helped somewhat (with the soreness). Overall, it's my belief that road running is far more "stressful" on the body!

teresa
12-07-2007, 03:40 AM
Thanks to both of you for replying. That makes me feel better. I think I may stick to the treadmill for a while and see if that helps. I was doing so well on it. I just wanted to prove that I could take it on the road. Seems a little ridiculous and counterproductive in hindsight. Have a great weekend!