PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth - North and South

SheFly
11-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Last weekend's 'cross races took us to Plymouth, MA - land of the pilgrims, home to Plymouth Rock, and where my parents, 40 years ago this month, spent their honeymoon ;-). Other TE'ers raced bothh days as well - Voodoo Sally and Wavedancer were at both races.

Saturday - Plymouth North

DH and I did this race last year, and I really liked the course - lots of grassy sections, a couple of tough run-ups, a single barrier you had to cross twice and a downhill singletrack section that was bumpy, twisty and rooty. Sadly, for this year's course, the grassy sections were shortened, and the run-ups were removed. That meant that this was going to be a fast race - more like a crit than a 'cross race, with only two forced dismounts per lap.

The weather this year was also quite different from last. Overcast skies, cold temps and WIND! I did my warmup laps with my jeans and down jacket over my cycling gear, and threatened to race that way too. The wind was biting, making it feel much colder than the temps indicated. A lot of racers were having trouble staying warm, especially once warm layers were shed in the staging area. Since there were only 8 women, we told the official to start us and not wait!

I knew that hanging onto a wheel was going to be important in this race, especially with the wind and long, flat sections of the course. I managed to latch onto a wheel for much of the first lap, but quickly got gapped, leaving me chasing two other strong racers. I was pretty suprised to pass Sue - she is a much better racer than I, and I don't usually see her after we start a race. I later learned that she wasn't feeling well, and didn't end up finishing the race.

So, I targeted the next woman, who I could see, but not catch for much of the race. At about lap 4, her rocket boosters kicked in, and then I could no longer even see her. I was on my own. I hunkered into TT mode, trying to get as low as I could to stay out of the wind, and just finish. When I came through for the bell lap, I was really excited to have only one more to go. So much so that the announcer commented that they usually see smiles on the bell lap, but never as big as the one I gave!

I finished the race in 5th, which was in the money. My teammate, in her 1st race with the big girls, accomplished her goals as well: finished, didn't get lapped, and didn't come last! It was a good day for both of us, but we were REALLY happy to get into warm clothes when we were done.

Sunday - Plymouth South

Everything that Saturday's course was not, Sunday's course was. I think this was my favorite venue so far this season, and you can tell from the photo that I had a great time (and apparently, wasn't suffering hard enough)!

The course started on the pavement, with a hard 90 degree right onto the grass, along some chain link fence and into single track - SWEET! The trail was twisty, and turned up a semi-tough short grinder into another field before putting us at the bottom of another long, steepish uphill into a 180 degree turn back DOWN the hill. A fast field section, onto a loose/sandy road and back into the woods. Here, you had to carefully negotiate tight, muddy turns, curbs (yes, in the woods), and a tree smack dab in the middle of the trail before the hardest uphill of the course (many ended up running this hill). Once this was complete, a bit more up/down in the woods brought us back out into the field for the barrier sandwich - DEEP sandpit, barriers and second sandpit. Yahoo! Challenging and fun.

Because many of the local women had registered to do the race in Putney, VT, there were only 5 Elite women on the starting line. I knew that one would gap me early, I would have a fight on my hands with my teammate Libby, and the two others were slightly unknown given that one is a great MTB rider and I didn't really know the other woman.

From the whistle, I was chasing Libby (important note: she is a National Champion. She is also 14). When we came to the difficult uphill on the first lap, Libby chose to run while I rode, allowing me to make up some time on her. She got a little nervous trying to remount, so I told her to just be calm (she is also a teammate). This seemed to help, and her awesome skills through the sand and barriers let her get a gap on me.

I chased hard on the second lap, with DH telling me not to let her go, and Libby's dad thanking me for coaching her through ;) . Each lap, I was able to make up time on her in the fields where power came into play, and she made time on me in the singletrack and sand/barriers - that girl is SMOOTH! I would catch her again as she ran up the hill and I rode. By lap three, Libby admitted to me that she was pretty cooked (this was her second race of the day - and the 12th time up "the hill"). I followed her through some sections, coaching her to stay calm and not make mistakes. When we got into the field, I passed her, moving into second place. She never lost a lot of time on me in the remaining three laps though, finishing just 30 seconds behind.

It was great to have cheering "fans" on the course as well. On one of my climbs up "the hill", someone yelled out "You're an animal" to which I replied, "An animal looking for one more gear!". Then came the ultimate heckle from Wavedancer's BF - "Less talking, more riding!" Yup - something I would have said :D .

Another great weekend of racing! Only three more races until Natz!

TriMom217
11-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I was there on Saturday and was freezing my butt off. I definitely need to get a cross bike and get into the fun.

What team do you ride with?

SheFly
11-16-2007, 01:44 PM
I race for NEBC - red/white/blue kits with big apples on our backs! I can't imagine being there as a spectator on Saturday - it was COLD! Good for you.

SheFly

TriMom217
11-16-2007, 04:07 PM
well then friend I met there couldn't go on Sunday so that only left Saturday. Turns out someone from my LBS was riding on Saturday so I got to see him race.

I have got to get a cross bike for sure. It looks like tons of fun.

how long have you been doing it?

Kathyrides
11-17-2007, 05:46 AM
You were smiling when I saw you racing:)

It was great fun to watch you guys..but it was nasty windy. You did great!

I'm now looking at Cross Bikes...seems there is always another bike to buy.

wavedancer
11-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Great racing on both days! You are really looking strong and ready for Natz :)

I enjoyed doing both races. Saturday's was really tough in the cold and wind and a really fast course. I need some of those single-track sections to recover! Came in DFL both days, but somehow I am still enjoying this 'cross stuff! There's something about pushing myself to the max that I have never done before and the courses and venues and other competitors and spectators really make it fun. I was hurting on Saturday and had fleeting thoughts of quitting, but with the encouragement from my fans, I managed to finish! (Let's hear it for getting lapped!)

Sunday I felt better off the start and had been able to ride all the steep sections in my warm-up lap. When we got to the first hill, though, the riders in front of me were getting off to run up and I lost my momentum and ungracefully came off the bike, allowing many riders to pass me. I had trouble on the hills on a couple more laps and ended farther back. The sand and barrier section I just stayed off the bike the whole time, knowing my mounting skills would definitely slow me up. On the last lap I managed to ride all the hills, so felt better about that.

This was the first time I wore a heart-rate monitor during a race and I was pumping above 90% max through most of the race. No wonder I feel like I have nothing more to give! If nothing else, doing 'cross has shown me I can push myself harder than I thought without actually dying, and I have a long way to go to improve my strength and fitness.

RoadRaven
11-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Great report as always, SheFly... as WaveDancer says, you sure are looking ready for the Nationals!

Woohoo, WaveDancer... sounds like a great day for you too...

You know, did I mention anywhere here that Partner and I are considering getting a couple of 'cross bikes? To my knowledge there is no real 'cross group here in the Bay... although we are strong in mtn bike and road bike...

But we have a few places near here that would suit having a 'cross

Road ~InchingCloser&CloserTo BothC'Cross&MountainBiking~ Raven

SheFly
11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I have got to get a cross bike for sure. It looks like tons of fun.

how long have you been doing it?

It's fun, and addictive :D . This is only my second season.... :eek:

SheFly

SheFly
11-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I was hurting on Saturday and had fleeting thoughts of quitting, but with the encouragement from my fans, I managed to finish! (Let's hear it for getting lapped!)

Hey - 'cross is supposed to hurt ;) . I'm proud of you for not quitting - DFL is WAY better than DNF.

Sunday I felt better off the start and had been able to ride all the steep sections in my warm-up lap ... I had trouble on the hills on a couple more laps and ended farther back ... On the last lap I managed to ride all the hills, so felt better about that.

And those hills were TOUGH! Good for you!

This was the first time I wore a heart-rate monitor during a race and I was pumping above 90% max through most of the race. No wonder I feel like I have nothing more to give! If nothing else, doing 'cross has shown me I can push myself harder than I thought without actually dying, and I have a long way to go to improve my strength and fitness.

My HR graph always looks like a plateau at a 'cross race - usually at about 90 - 95% of max! This will defintely not kill you. A bruise here and there maybe, but definitely no dying :D .

Congrats on two great days of racing! How many does that make for you in your FIRST SEASON OF 'CROSS?????

SheFly

SheFly
11-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Great report as always, SheFly... as WaveDancer says, you sure are looking ready for the Nationals!

Yup - ready to get my butt kicked :D .

You know, did I mention anywhere here that Partner and I are considering getting a couple of 'cross bikes? To my knowledge there is no real 'cross group here in the Bay... although we are strong in mtn bike and road bike...

You didn't mention it, but I LOVE that there are so many women into trying 'cross! Our beginner women's races here in New England this year have had really large fields - between 15 and 32, and more at the bigger races!

Definitely give it a go, but don't blame me if you get addicted. Oh - and did I mention that 'cross is just like a giant TT, but on the dirt???? :D :D :D

SheFly

TriMom217
11-18-2007, 02:57 AM
It's fun, and addictive :D . This is only my second season.... :eek:

SheFly

I'm currently looking for a bike, but will probably wait until the Spring to get hooked up. There's too much skiing to do between now and then LOL