PDA

View Full Version : triathlon season coming up

tricycling
01-04-2005, 12:16 PM
So here it is... January...already.

Where do you think I should be for a beginner? My first TRI is going to be around March or so... unless I can find one sometime in Feb...but probably March.

When should I start swimming? What kind of training should I be doing?

I just mainly cycle about 2 times a week.... since I have a busy schedule. I run about 2 times a week for ROTC and get a good work out with that.

Any advice that you can give will greatly help me and I will greatly appreciate it... thank you!!

Shannon

pedalfaster
01-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Are you already a strong swimmer?
Mostly you'll want to work on technique. If your tri includes an open-water swim make sure you include open-water swimming in your training if you are unfamiliar. If your swim will be a wetsuit swim, swim in your suit and practice taking that baby off quickly.

You need to add some bricks (at least once per week) to your routine. After your bike ride, toss on your running shoes and go for a short run (2-3 miles). You can practice your transitions during this training as well.

Good luck and have fun!

tricycling
01-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks a lot! I have heard of the whole brick thing but... what is it?

pedalfaster
01-04-2005, 06:54 PM
A brick is simply a training session combining one or more of the disciplines.

The most common is the ride + run. The idea is to move swiftly from one to the other, to simulate race conditions.

tricycling
01-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Ah alright, I got it. I should do that today since I have to time a mile for my online class. Might as well run the mile... then hope on my bike! And if im feeling it... i might ride up to the pool :)

Thanks!