PDA

View Full Version : Specialized new sunglasses

SadieKate
01-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Just used some of my Santa cash to treat myself to a pair of the new sunglasses from Specialized -- the ones with the adaptive lenses. I'll have to report later on the actual performance of the lense and vent, but the Cortina fits very well on my narrow face and high cheekbones. Since sunglasses fit is almost as difficult as shoes, I just wanted to give the report. The fit and style is much like my Smith Sliders 2s, but they have a vent on the side of the lense and, most importantly, light adaptive lenses. I'm anxious to see how they perform when I'm mountain biking.

And, one last note . . . while I did buy the tres chic shiny black, the adorable pink version almost sucked me in. They're a nice strong pink without looking like they belong on a child. They are very attractive.

If it ever stops raining, I'll give an apres-ride report on the lenses. In the meantime, narrow faces should consider these glasses for the fit.

SadieKate
01-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Finally stopped raining long enough for me to at least try on the road. They didn't move around and clarity was excellent in very overcast and glary conditions. When I stopped they didn't fog up and I didn't have to take them off when walking onto my dark porch to unlock the door. So far, a great success!

Pedal Wench
01-13-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm lusting after the pink ones - they are a perfect match for my black and hot-pink bike and clothes. I usually run into problems with lenses being too close to my eyes - they're light blonde, but my eyelashes hit some glasses. Are the Specialized pretty snug? I hate to order them and have to return them for something like that.

SadieKate
01-13-2005, 02:11 PM
I tried on the Singletrack which is also for smaller faces and it hit both my cheekbones and my lashes. The Cortina did not. I would guess that my lashes are fairly average in length, but my eyes are very prominent (not bug-eyed but close :) !)

I really like the comfort and traction of the nose piece. It doesn't move around and the glasses are snug on my small face. Fashion-wise, they're not bad either. I think they did a good job all around.

One thing you should know . . . the Cortina is the "road" version. The Singletrack frame is styled differently but more importantly the lenses are lighter. They are amber which can be good, but they don't darken as much as the Cortina "road" lenses. I decided that the road lenses are better for high altitude or exposed (i.e., no shade) riding even on the dirt.

massbikebabe
01-14-2005, 09:26 PM
SadieKate:

Thanks for the post's. I have been thinking about splurging on a pair for my upcoming 42 birthday. Your critique has been much
appreciated!! :cool:

karen

SadieKate
01-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Glad to help out. I have ridden almost exclusively with men over the years and they just don't have the same challenges with equipment (especially as only 1 is under 6 ft tall and I'm 5'4" only on a very optimistic day).

One last report as the glasses went on their first dirt ride today. Success! They darkened and lightened very quickly. I never felt challenged to see trail details and they went nicely dark on the open, sunny hills sides. Never budged from the bridge of my nose, etc., etc., etc. I'm a happy customer.