PDA

View Full Version : lightening the load?

waterlilli
08-12-2002, 11:49 AM
I have decided to buy a Stinky De-Lux for my fun bike. Since I like my Caldera so much I decided to keep it for cross country races. I was hoping I could get some ideas for making it lighter. I need cheap and easy things, if possible. Thank you in advance.

han-grrl
08-12-2002, 12:26 PM
hey waterlilli

what are your shocks? if you have disk breaks, those weigh a lot more right off the start. This is a FUN bike. from what i see on the web, this is a do drop offs, big squishee bike. there really is no point in trying to make it lighter. anything i can suggest means getting rid of what makes this bike, well, a squishee bike. i say enjoy it.

Han

waterlilli
08-12-2002, 07:23 PM
I want to make my caldera lighter. The Stinky will be a blast as is if not heavier as I upgrade. I ride my hubbys, too big but fun!

han-grrl
08-13-2002, 04:04 AM
some suggests on making the CALDERA (oh of course from the audience) lighter:

wheels: you can change the tires (MEC has the PANARACER smoke and dart which are well priced and actually quite light compared with the other tires).
don't forget lighter tubes too.

seat ands seat post, also not very expensive to change.

these are the cheapest to change i think. the next "price range" i think would be changing hubs, and rear cassettes and chain rings, but you would have to do them ALL if you want any significant change in weight.

good luck and happy riding!

Han