PDA

View Full Version : Bend Bound!

SadieKate
12-29-2004, 11:35 AM
You gals in Central Oregon -- what's the snow report? Smurf?

I'm heading up to Bend in a couple weeks on business and will have some time to go snowshoeing or biking. I'll be with a buddy who can do either. We've been assigned the job of looking at investment properties (cuz hubby can't get away from work) so we're also going to find some fun! I've never ridden east of town, but I've heard the winter mtbiking can be good if you stay out in the high desert.

I have to say the thought of carrying bikes on a hitchfork during January and then trying to clean them up enough to ride sounds a bit daunting. And the grit and salt off the roads - yuck. It may be more fun to stick to shoeing.

spazzdog
12-29-2004, 01:45 PM
put bikes in big hefty garbage bags, then put on carrier. less salt. less clean up.

SadieKate
12-29-2004, 01:56 PM
I like the bag idea! On the back of the Trooper, the wind resistence from bags shouldn't be a problem either. Cool!

The thought of wet salt and cinder on my precious (Red) Sonja was making my skin crawl.

Thanks! :D

spazzdog
12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
You'll need a couple of bags and some tie wraps or tape. Can also pull the wheels and only strap the frame to the carrier.

Have someone hold 1st bag open then lower bike in rear feet 1st (like a wiener dog). secure the bag with tie wraps (or tape). Open 2nd bag and lower bike front end 1st into bag; secure. If theres 'nekkid' space in the middle use an un-opened bag to wrap it.

Sometimes you can get the really big, very tough construction clean-up bags at the hardware stores. I can fit my whole bike in one of those.

SadieKate
12-29-2004, 02:35 PM
You know, I just had another brilliant thought. A couple years ago, I loaned a friend a Bike Tight. I could just call them and "unloan" it. It fits inside perfectly. However, since these people seem to spend more time outside the country than in, it may be a problem. I'll get plenty of bags and duct tape just in case. Fortunately, the front wheels already go nekkid inside the car.