PDA

View Full Version : ChiCrossCup - St. Charles

Sheesh
11-04-2007, 06:07 AM
Prior to yesterday's race, I had not been on a bike for two weeks. Given that, I knew that yesterday's race would hurt. I just didn't know how badly it would hurt...

Before I went off to warm up, I stopped by the race registration area to pick up another safety pin for Mr. Sheesh's jersey. The Masters 30+ guys had just finished racing, and were hanging around the registration area. When I pulled up, Lou started chatting with me, checked my tire pressure, let out a little air, and then gave me some tips on the course. He specifically warned me about the railroad ties that were on a dirt/ slightly muddy section of the trail. Lou said it was possible to go over them if you go slowly so you don't flat out, or you could pick your way around them if you went slowly enough.

During my first lap, I made it around the railroad ties just fine. By the second lap, I was still managing to keep up with the woman in front of me (which was very exciting because usually I'm left in the dust!), but as I followed her line through the railroad tie section, she was going over the ties, so I did, too. On the third time through, I decided to pick my own line again, and planned to go around the railroad ties. I was halfway through this section of the trail, and the next thing I know, I hit something, go over my handlebars, and end up lying on my back on the trail. That freaking hurt. There wasn't anyone behind me for a while, so I just laid on the ground for a few seconds, before finally getting up. I must have hit the corner of one of the railroad ties.

As I walk out of the woods, pushing my bike, I see the photographer and another guy. They both ask me if I'm okay. I'm in enough pain, that I just say "Yes, but I'm done" and then push my bike back to the car. Once I got back to the car, Mr. Sheesh checks out my bike and I then realize that my chain is off and my front rim is bent. There's no way I would have been able to finish the course, even if I had wanted to. I was very disappointed and quite pissed off at myself.

I now have several large bruises on my left thigh, and a very well-defined bruise on my lower abdomen. I must have hit my self on the stem or shifter as I flew over the handlebars. Ouch. The worst part? The bruise is in an area that I can't even show off, so I can't show my battle scars to those who ask. :P

RoadRaven
11-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Ah Sheesh

Always gutting to finish (or, "not finish") in this way.

However... you hit a "something" and this means it was not easily seen and this crash was probably out of your control.

Take lots of arnica for those bruises, and I trust the bike is not too expensive to repair.

Railroad rails are so potentially lethal and I wish more clubs and organisers would choose courses without them, or cover them with carpet. They could leave a marshall there to remove the carpet if a train came!

Last year at the NZ National Road Cycling Champs, one of my sons was doing well but on one of the final laps, crossing the railway lines sent his wheel out of "true" and he was off the back of the leading bunch 'just like that'.

Sending much healing your way and try not to be too hard on yourself... we have crappy days and this was one of yours. Next time will be better :)

wavedancer
11-05-2007, 04:20 AM
ouch!

It sounds like you were having a really good race. So sorry you hurt yourself. Railroad ties are lethal. I wiped out just stepping on one in my back yard and there is a railroad crossing on one of our road routes that regularly takes down cyclists.

You should feel good about how you raced before you went down and it sounds like there wasn't anything you could do to keep going after the crash.

Take it easy and let those bruises heal. I empathize as a technicolor hematoma 'crosser!

Sheesh
11-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Technicolor hematoma is exactly correct! Every day brings different color to the bruises. :rolleyes:

I figure that crashing on grass and mud must be easier than crashing in a road race, so I thank my stars that I haven't been "really" hurt yet. The wheel was easily repaired at the shop (by the junior who passed me without even breathing hard!).

As my husband says, "Cross was created to humble EVERYONE." I am humbled. :D

blueskies
11-05-2007, 06:07 PM
At nanowrimo (national novel writing month), they have a saying "Win or lose, you rock for even trying." And that's what I say too. You rock for even trying!

RoadRaven
11-05-2007, 10:57 PM
At nanowrimo (national novel writing month), they have a saying "Win or lose, you rock for even trying." And that's what I say too. You rock for even trying!

Heck yes!
You ROCK

trigirlpink
11-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Technicolor hematoma is exactly correct! Every day brings different color to the bruises. :rolleyes:

I figure that crashing on grass and mud must be easier than crashing in a road race, so I thank my stars that I haven't been "really" hurt yet. The wheel was easily repaired at the shop (by the junior who passed me without even breathing hard!).

As my husband says, "Cross was created to humble EVERYONE." I am humbled. :D

Ditto on that! Humbling AND bruise-a-paloosa.
Good for you for "gathering" yourself after the tracks and finishing.

Voodoo Sally
11-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Way to be tough, Sheesh. Nice effort. :)