PDA

View Full Version : where do you recommend i go for a good bike fit

Possegal
10-31-2007, 09:33 AM
i'm a DC area person, montgomery county md to be precise. anyone have any recommendations for me? i bought a Trek 1000 this spring and i really like it and i don't think i have any issues related to the bike. i have a bum knee - popped patella followed by lateral release surgery about 7 yrs ago. i don't have issues when i'm riding but i do find it hurts when i'm done. i think this may have less to do with the bike and more to do with the fact that i should get to the ortho and have it checked out again. the only other issue i've had was a very sore ischial tuberosity/biceps femoris origin. basically, one of the places where your hamstring is attached is the butt bone, not the tailbone, but the butt bone. many years ago i tore my hamstring right at that origin and it took years to get back to normal. after my 40 mile ride in philly this summer (6 hrs with stops), i found that hurt like a son of a..... too much time in the saddle i guess. this concerns me as i'd like to be able to ride longer times/distances and don't want this to be the limiting factor. but again, this seems more due to me than to a bike fit.

so in a nutshell, i don't think i've got a bad bike fit, but why tempt fate. i'd love to have someone who knows what they are doing spend the time to make sure i've got the right bike and settings, before i do any damage to an already somewhat damaged body. :)

i'm sort of new to this all and thought maybe you folks could point me in the right direction. thanks in advance.

7rider
10-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Sounds like you may need a PT.
But...for bike fit, call up and make an appointment with Mike Butchko, the owner of the Bicycle Place (http://www.thebicycleplace.com/), on Grubb Road in Silver Spring. He's an expert bike fitter - local - and a Trek dealer. He can give you a thorough review of you on your bike.

Possegal
10-31-2007, 09:52 AM
thank you so much, i will definitely give him a call!

i think the knee may just need a cleaning out due to the old injury, i don't feel like the riding is doing anything to it that regular standing and walking doesn't already do.

the hamstring issue, this is a new issue from a very very old injury. not really sure what can be done with it but i intend to ask the doctor about it and maybe he'll send me to PT and maybe they can do something for it. i adore the woman who got me moving again post knee injury and then post surgery, she was a godsend! i'm a huge fan of PT! :)

Zen
10-31-2007, 11:06 AM
The Bicycle Escape in Frederick offers fittings though they're not a Trek dealer.

aicabsolut
11-01-2007, 01:33 PM
I've had Fitness Concepts recommended to me for a fitting (they have PTs and people with a clue about injuries apparently), but I haven't gone, and I've also heard some mixed reviews from other people. So, take that as you will. (they have a website)

Eden
11-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Around here, many PT's also do bike fits - and sometimes it's even covered by your insurance!

about the hamstring thing - you may be down a little to far than you are ready for/flexible enough for right now. Try raising your handlebars a bit if you can and you may find that it helps a lot. After the 40K TT all my teammates and I were all rubbing our behinds..... The TT position puts you down lower and boy did we all feel it, even right after the race.

tulip
11-05-2007, 08:29 AM
I recommend Proteus Bikes in College Park. Jill DiMauro is the owner and she'll take lots of time with your bike fit. You have to make an appointment in advance.