PDA

View Full Version : Toe overlap

sarahkonamojo
12-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Is toe overlap normal or acceptable on frames for those of diminutive stature? (5'2" 28" inseam) Is it common on large bikes?

I would like to avoid the problem, but was lead to believe toe overlap was normal on bikes of all sizes.

I have a Terry with a 24" front wheel and therefore doesn't have the problem. I was looking to upgrade my road bike this year and was going to eliminate bikes with toe overlap. Is this reasonable? Why would I want a bike with toe overlap?

thanks,
SKM

trekin'
12-26-2004, 04:26 PM
I am 5'2" with a 27.5" inseam. I ride a 43 cm Trek 1500 WSD. There is a very slight toe overlap, but it has been no problem whatsoever when riding, as I never seem to turn the bike sharply enough while riding along, even when turning corners. The top tube of the Trek 1500 is slanted back slightly, I think to lengthen the tube a bit without compromising reach. It makes standover more comfortable, too.

Crash
02-01-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi,
I had that problem on my Basso. Made for some entertaining spills. :o !
Last year I bought an Airborne with 26" wheels (front and back). It fits wonderfully. I am 5'2 (I don't know what my inseam is offhand). Rode it on the Bike VA Tour last year and found it very comfortable for long rides as well as short rides. We had to tweek the stem and with the shorter crank arms all is well!

doc
02-01-2005, 09:57 AM
I don't believe toe overlap is a problem at all. I have a trek 2100 WSD which has toe overlap. It used to come with 650 wheels but they changed it to 700's. So that created toe overlap. But the only way you could ever hit your toe with your wheel is if you're fooling around at nearly a complete stop. You would never turn the wheel that much on actual turn while riding. Get on the bike and try it. You'll see how much you need to turn to touch. It's a huge amount.

pedalfaster
02-01-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm with doc on this one.

Toe overlap on a road-bike is a virtual non-issue. Think about how you corner on a road bike; you LEAN 90% if the time. If you are "turning" with your handlebars, it's time to get on the wheel of seasoned rider and really learn how to corner. Physics=a beautiful thing.

The 650c bikes are great for the truely tiny (say 5ft or less) but at 5'2" you can avoid a lot of hassles( e.g. gear ratios, tire selection) by going with a standard 700c wheel.

sarahkonamojo
02-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Unfortunately, I've got twists and turns on my way to the open road where I can lean into turns all I want. Perhaps I have a strange riding style when navigating the twists and turns, but toe overlap doesn't work well for me. i.e. I don't sit down much until I reach the open road. It is the slow speed navigation around traffic, pedestrians, curbs, and mail boxes that, with toe overlap, seems dangerous.

I currently ride a terry w/ a 24" wheel... Going to 2 650 wheels would bother me less than toe overlap. 2 wheels the same size would be great.

Apparently, my opinion on toe overlap is just that and not well supported. Seems like I should be able to have it all.

SKM