PDA

View Full Version : Half Mary in 6 mos?

teigyr
10-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I was looking at a race that had a half marathon and a 5K. It's womens only and states that the course will close late due to walkers and the last 5 miles are on a trail. It doesn't seem too high pressure.

I was thinking it'd be fun to do the 5K but DH asked why I wouldn't do the half. I'm running 10-15 miles a week right now. My long day is 5.5-6 miles. The race is in 6 months. While I'm competitive, I raced enough in my past life to not want that kind of stress so I wouldn't be hoping or wanting to place. I only want to have fun, not be last (or in the last 3rd, maybe) and not feel like &*^% though I know sometimes that just happens.

The 5k would be fun but it wouldn't be challenging. The half would be challenging and more of an accomplishment. I like accomplishments.

Could I be ready for it? Today I rode 20 miles and ran 3.5 miles and really, I could've gone longer. I know that riding is different than running but my body is getting used to extended periods of exercise.

kiwi girl
10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I think you could easily do it.
Just as an example there is this training program http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm that takes people from running less than you are now to a half marathon in 3 months. I'm not saying you would want to use this program exactly (you'd almost certainly want to do more cross training than is there) but it does show that you have heaps of time to build up

Wahine
10-27-2007, 09:24 PM
You could totally do it. No problem. You have 6 months, you're running 5 to 6 now. That means you have 22 weeks before tapering. You could increase your long runs on the weekend by 1/2 a mile (easily doable) and still have rest weeks and a 2 week planned taper.

Let me know if you have specific questions. We can work something out for you.

Deborajen
10-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Before my first half mary, an experienced marathoner asked me:

1. How long have you been running?
2. How many miles per week do you run?
3. What is your training program?

Those were very good questions. I've heard numerous times that it's not a good idea to take on an ambitious running distance event (marathon or half marathon, or even a 10K) without at least a year of regular running under your belt. The longer I run (almost 6 years now), the more I believe this. Running pounds your body. It's best to build up everything - speed, distance, and any big changes like hills, etc. - gradually, or you'll suddenly pay for it for a long time.

Weekly mileage is important. It's a big part of training your body for endurance, along with the weekly long easy - and I stress easy - run.

A good training program is a must. Slow increases, rest weeks, and a taper prior to the event are all important elements. I found a good training program on the Runners' World website, and there are many others online and in books.

If you have all of the above, you should be well on your way. If not, some people try it and pull it off anyway, but the majority aren't able. I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I have a little experience. (and want to have a lot more!) I love running and enjoy seeing other people get into it and have fun with it, too. Prepare well and go for it! :)

Deb

limewave
10-28-2007, 04:01 PM
You can do it! Especially if you follow a training program. It sounds like you run pretty regularly already, so as long as you ease into the mileage, you should be fine.

teigyr
10-29-2007, 08:37 PM

I think I could do it. What's the worst that could happen, I walk part of it? It sounds flippant, granted, but I've hiked more than that in a day. I know people would be walking the course so I wouldn't be last. I do have some sort of pride.

When I ran competitively (5th grade through mid-college) I remember doing major distance and what it entailed. As an adult, it seems like it's more difficult getting back into it then again 5th grade was a long long time ago.

Increasing 1/2 mile a week sounds ok. What I tend to do is when I increase, I do the "run 4 walk 1" theory though I tend to increase by more than 1/2 mile :o I guess I haven't been structured.

What's totally cool though is when I ran after riding on saturday I was just going to do 2.5 miles. At 2 miles, I realized I was doing it WAY faster than normal and I wanted to be out for longer than that. I did 3.5ish and it felt good! I know that is minimal distance for some but it is so great when it all comes together and feels good.

kaybee
10-30-2007, 05:00 AM
If your long runs is 5.5 - 6 miles now, you're halfway there. You could definitely do it in six months. As others have suggested, just follow a sound training program and don't get over zealous, and you'll be fine. I say go for it.

KB

KSH
11-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Six months. You can totally do it.

I trained for a 1/2 marathon in about 4 months time... but I was also training for a 1.2 mile swim and a 56 mile bike before the 1/2 mary.

I also couldn't run the last month before my Half Ironman... so I went into a 1/2 mary without even running the month before. Mind you, I walked most of it, but I was fine with that.

So yea... you can do it! GO FOR IT! Good luck!