PDA

View Full Version : Really long rides

boy in a kilt
10-27-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm seriously thinking about doing some radonneuring next year (however that's spelled). I've been seriously thinking about it for years, but I'm at a point where I need some sort of goal to keep me going.

I've done enough centuries that they don't pose a significant mental challenge anymore. I haven't done a double yet, although the idea intrigues me. The STP in a day doesn't seem likely because I have drill that weekend. Also, I don't really want to deal with CBC anymore than I have to.

Anyway, my goal is a 300km ride by the end of 2008. I haven't hooked up with anyone from SIR yet, although I'm sure it'll come to that.

Anyone here down for it?

Veronica
10-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I would kind of like to do the Cascade 1200. Probably not this year though. I think 2008's goal will be five or more doubles.

You could set your sights on one of the doubles down here. I keep checking the website for next year's schedule

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/

but it hasn't been posted yet. :(

V.

salsabike
10-27-2007, 02:46 PM
There are also some very likable randonneur folks in the Redmond Cycling Club, I've been told, that Chris rode with last year. He occasionally ponders randonneuring although wants to do Ramrod first, next summer. You might want to ask Mimitabby and Raleighdon about that--and Don is one of them.

boy in a kilt
10-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Oooh, a chance to head back to SF. I was stationed down there for two and a half years and I loved it. Of course, I didn't pay rent...

I'll check out redmond cycling club. I know they have connections with SIR too. By all accounts, a likeable bunch of people to ride with. And if I'm going to spend twenty-some-odd hours on a bike with someone, it'd help if I like them.

I'd like to get a handful of centuries done in the spring, then a double or too during the summer and finish out the year with a really long ride.

2009 is pretty much out at the moment. High probability I'm going to Iraq.

Starfish
11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
You might want to check out a ride called RATPOD. Ride Around The Pioneers in One Day. It's in Dillon MT in June. A benefit for kids with cancer. Something like 157 miles and 7500 feet. Really beautiful route. Lower numbers of riders. They have a good website, and I know a guy who did it...said it was a great ride.

Edit: PS, you might want to check out the Shasta Super Century. Only 130 miles, but 16,000 feet of climbing for a challenge. I did the century this summer, and the riding is GORGEOUS.

mimitabby
11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Cascade 1200?? That is one nasty ride. It may be the toughest 1200 there is.

Yes, if boy with a kilt wants to do a fleche, he needs to get in touch with the RCC people, they need people to fill out their teams.

boy in a kilt
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
The 1200 is a bit lofty for me right now. Not even sure I'm ready for a fleche yet. If I can get up to 400 km, I'll be happy. If I can do a 600 and get my Super, I'll be ecstatic.

But, one can never tell what the future may hold.