PDA

View Full Version : My poor rear end!

smurfalicious
12-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Alright ladies, I have to gripe. I really dig spin class, tried a couple of different instructors at my health club. Still nervous about Brad's class, he might be cute, and I might forget that cleats do not allow one to spontaneously stop when attached to a fly wheel.

My only kvetch? Those big, fat, squishy seats hurt my butt! Sure we aren't spending much time in them, but grrr! There are gals bringing in gel pads, and all I want is my Fizik Vitesse! Or maybe, something smaller! What in the world can I do? They don't let me move right, it's like sitting on a sofa! Is there any way to change those beasts? They're Schwinn bikes for the record. Should I try the gel things? I think that would make it worse. I love the classes, the pyscho show off ones, and the sing along to the music and grit your teeth endurance classes, but OUCH!!! I want my rock hard old race seat! A Fizik Arione, something!!!

love and cookies
-smurf

Dogmama
12-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Are you wearing your cycling shorts? If the seats are too wide & squishy (so true) - maybe try regular shorts?

I spin in regular shorts & my 15 year old cycling shoes which are totally beat up, but the cleats are fairly new. I save my Sidi's for the road. I think some people look down on my shoes (this is Bally's - where you can pick up iron or you can pick up a honey) but at the end of the class, I'm one of the few with a big puddle of sweat all around the bike.

As an aside, we have one instructor (male) who is gay. (I love gay men). He'll say things like, "Your going to hate me after this class...but you'll get over it (giggle)". He's my favorite instructor because he makes us WORK. The instructor can make or break the class.

Irulan
12-24-2004, 06:59 AM
In one of the older spin thread, I recall that Mizzliz said where to get your own personal "spin" seat post so that you can mount up your own saddle and bring it to class. I think Schwinn sells them ???? and they were about $30 bucks. I never did it myself, but there are plenty of days I wish I had. Maybe one you gals that are really good with seaching can dig that up?

irulan

snowtulip
12-24-2004, 10:40 AM
A few years ago I took a special time trial 6 week session, each session lasted 2 hrs. and the seat killed me! My instructor was upset with how much time I spent out of the saddle (but I was hurting) and I let him know that I had to do that or couldn't continue unless I had my own seat, so he allowed me to bring my seat (it took about 2 minutes to change out) on Schwinn, also works on Reebok. All it took was a screwdriver and allen wrench, but this was a few years ago, not sure if it works with the new models.

Jenc
12-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Amen to the instructor thing. We have one girl who thinks she is in drama class and she looks like a mime up there acting out every instruction with overdramatic hand/body language. Then she sings to her songs. Soooooo unmotivating! GRRR.
On the other hand, we also have a cutie pie male instr. who kicks our butt every time. He has said, "ladies, don't fake it...we all know you ladies have faked it at least once before...adding tension on the bike that is...thinking you'll just "pretend" to turn the dial and faking it...I will know if you fake it". He is hilarious!!!

Adventure Girl
12-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Jenc
Then she sings to her songs. Soooooo unmotivating!I have taken "group exercise" classes (step, kick box, spinning, high/low, etc. etc.) for over a dozen years. And I have had ONE instructor who could sing a long a little and it didn't bother me. She could sing on key, knew the words and only threw it in now and then. All others..... just don't do it!! UGGGGH! :mad: