PDA

View Full Version : CX racing and rain...

Drtgirl
10-24-2007, 10:07 AM
So far this year all of my races have been dry. Hard to believe since I live in Seattle!

Eventurally my luck is going to run out, so what does one wear in a rainy race? Do you just get soaked and deal with it or wear rain gear?

Voodoo Sally
10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I sure don't like racing in the rain, but when I do it, I don't wear any rain gear. I might wear a wind jacket if it's cold, but otherwise it's just the regular racing clothes. We all just get soaked.

pinkychique
10-24-2007, 11:27 AM
If it's cold and rainy, something that's light but wind/water repellent I've noticed does the trick. That way you don't feel like you're freezing the whole time but you're not burning up either.

For when it's pretty cold, I like the Pearl Izumi super lightweight jacket they had out a few years ago....I can't seem to find it now....

mtnmama
10-24-2007, 07:22 PM
On those really rainy days, I've known one of my more experienced cyclocross friends to wear a lightweight fully waterproof rain jacket modified with the sleeves cut off above the elbow. My friend's is the pretty inexpensive clear vinyl type so you can see the jersey underneath. Haven't tried it myself, but if I lived in Seattle (which I used to) I might have something like it stashed in the race bag just in case. $.02

SheFly
10-25-2007, 03:20 AM
I agree with Voodoo Sally - no rain gear outside of whatever is normal race wear. If cold, I MAY put a wind vest UNDER my jersey, but definitely no rain jacket - that's like racing wearing a trash bag!

SheFly