PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all

mtbstarr
12-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I just want to extend a great big HUG and hello to all.....

I would like to introduce myself a little bit. As many of you know I have been just lurking around for a couple of weeks.

First of all, the mtbstarr thing may make me seem over confident, but Starr is actually my middle name. (Made is easy for me to remember it.) I am a sport mountain bike rider, just last year actually. I am going into my second season of real training and racing. I enjoyed the heck out of myself last year.

I have a Bachelors of Agriculture in Science (Pre-vet emphasis) and I am going back for a Bachelors in Biology with a Molecular Biology emphasis so I can get a Master's of Science. I graduated from the Ag prpgram with a 3.96. (I know I am tooting my own horn on this one, but that is one of my proudest accomplishments.)

I am a nerd (my hubby will lovingly affirm this to you, although he is as far from one as you can get.) Not a thick glasses, pocket protector type (although one of my best friends is :) ) I do love to learn though, and I keep my head in a book in my free time. My current conquest is the Da Vinci Code. I have the illlustrated edition. Very good book;)

I love to exercise and to be outdoors, and that's what drew me into mountain biking. My first ride ever was quite an epic. It was my husband's (Tim) and my third date.

Anyway.....that is basically me. I am a cat lover too. Got pics of them. I am trying to get the hubby to post them. They are my babies.

I love talking with ya'll. I feel like I'm not the only one any more. Great feeling.

~just my two cents:D

KkAllez
12-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Oh goodie! Another nerd! My pals in nursing school get thoroughly disgusted with me when I want to talk about Einstein or Hawking or whatever new gadget is out. My favorite reading is Scientific American and Discover magazine (National Geographic and Texas Monthly follow close behind.

I've read the The Da Vinci Code. Be sure to read the rebuttals.

Great job on your gpa! I've got 99 hours towards a biologoy/math degree with a 3.75 but decided instead of med school that I wanted to nurse instead. I want to be an ICU nurse. Also, I like dialysis in clinicals. It appealed to the nerd in me...all those machines, acid/base balances, etc. Interestingly enough, the areas I've excelled in as far as relating to people are: severly retarded, mentally insane, and Alzheimer's. I still am not ready to give up on med school. I would love to work for the CDC.

My husband is a nerd, too. But I think we are good looking nerds! Everyone tells me I am a dead ringer for Winona Ryder but I think I look more like Audrey Hepburn.

Let's see, married 20 years plus. I think our third date was skinny dipping!

We spent a few years mountain biking and waaaaay too many years doing the horse thing. I rode endurance and Ben rode for fun and was always trimming the hooves on our three horses....not for fun! We have found a perfect happy match with road cycling. We both feel a need for speed.

Oh, and the book I am reading now that I am on semester break from nursing school: Me and My Big Mouth! By Joyce Meyer. If only I could keep my fingers quiet, too!

jobob
12-19-2004, 07:04 PM
I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code. Wish it were true.

- Jo, another nerd :cool: but I went into research when I realized I became too queasy at the sight of blood :rolleyes:

MightyMitre
12-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Nice to hear about you all.

I've got a bachelor of Arts degree in ... Ancient History.!!! Enjoyed doing it but is pretty useless for any kind of a career. 8 years on from graduating I'm now half way through a 2 year diploma in Environmental Policy, which I'm doing as distance learning. I managed to pass the first year - got the results last week and feel proud I managed to make it as far as the exam, what with work, cycling, home etc.

My fiance Ben is also a cyclist. He's written a several of articles for cyclingnews.com and tends to do long distance sportif courses, but it's great to have someone to ride with when you feel like it.

Da Vinci Code: enjoyed it. A good read but I thought the big info downloads were a bit like reading a text book with bits of story added in to vaguely link it all together. I also didn't really feel I got to know the lead guy very well ( can't even remember his name, but know he had a Micky Mouse watch. :p)

OTOH - I found all the stuff about how the sacred power of women has been undermined over the year was fascinating.

!!! Ah - look's like there's an arts nerd loose in the forum . I'm already incredibly short sighted and we've got way too many books stacked up round our place. :p

mtbstarr
12-20-2004, 10:42 AM
It is so nice to hear from all of you. :) On the Scientific America magazine, I read my first one a couple of months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of it did fly over my head though. Congratulations to everyone on their academic accomplishments btw. ;)

Speaking of which, Jo....what kind of research do you do, or if you can't tell that's understandable. I am wanting to do the same, but I don't know exactly what in yet.

Gotta go warm up. Just got in from a freezing ride. LOVE IT :D

~just my 2 cents