PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Jefferson Parish, LA

bmccasland
10-22-2007, 05:55 AM
Be part of the first annual Tour de Jefferson - Ride from Bayou Segnette to Lafitte Louisiana, on November 10th, 38 miles. Let's bring bike awareness to Jefferson Parish.

Register for the ride with Jefferson Parish Chamber of Commerce. For more information on costs of the tour and to register, call Selva Riemann at (504) 835-3880.
(sorry I couldn't find a web link)

videogirl32
11-14-2007, 06:45 AM
I just wanted to say that there was a decent turnout for the event. About 300 riders of all ages and abilities rode the 38 miles. We had great weather for it. I enjoyed it for the most part. To get to the 1/2 way point we had to board swamp tour boats and ride across the Barataria Canal and the Intracoastal waterway. That was something new for me. I've never taken my bike on a boat before. I hope that the event will spur more involvement from the government to get us some bike lanes and promotion of more cycling friendly environments. One stretch of about 8 miles on the return was pretty scary as there was no shoulder on the road and traffic was crazy. The posted speed limit was 45 but noone drove that slowly and a couple of times we nearly got clipped by passing vehicles that refused to slow and wait for oncoming traffic and blew by us instead. I hope that since next year it will be on the East Bank that it will be better organized all the way around.