PDA

View Full Version : first time caller...

wgtngrl
12-16-2004, 02:11 AM
well hi there! I've just registered so thought I'd introduce myself...

I'm a mountain biker from Wellington, New Zealand. Been riding about 4 years now, mostly xc but have the dh bug now! I had a go at road riding for about a year but the dirt kept calling.

Around here it can be hard to meet like-minded girls - I know they're out there, but our paths seldom cross, so I was thinking teamestrogen could be a good place to share ideas and discuss all those girly riding issues and hear some different view points.

guess I'll see you in the threads (and on the trails if you're in the neighbourhood!) :cool:

MightyMitre
12-16-2004, 02:36 AM
Hi wgtngrl. Welcome to the board!

One of the reasons I like it is because I know so few women riders too and it's great to be able to exchange tips etc.

Enjoy!

:)

Irulan
12-16-2004, 06:53 AM
'nother mountain biker here! welcome aboard.

Irulan

snowtulip
12-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Welcome, I also have the dh bug. I hear there is terrific mountain biking in New Zealand and hope to visit in the next few years, I get excited seeing pictures of all the parks with great obstacles.
Enjoy!

CorsairMac
12-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the board wgtngrl! I know what all of you mean - I ride alone actually so - while I'm sure there are women riders in my area - I haven't really gone looking yet. I also live alone so the board has been a Godsend of information for someone like me who doesn't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of! (gosh that sounded pitiful! wasn't meant that way! LOL) Anyway, hope you enjoy the boards as much as I do!

PS: I was made an honourary KIWI by my online euchre friends after they found out how much of an LOTR nut I was! Wellington huh??...as in THE LOTR Wellington?? LOL

KkAllez
12-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Welcome aboard. Photos I've seen, and movies (Lord of the Rings) of New Zealand just make me drool. You are so lucky to live there. One day my husband and I plan on visiting, after our dream vacation of two weeks cycling in Tuscany.

I road bike but mountain biked before that. Right now I'm addicted to speed, but am getting the mud bug again.

Okay, not to sound dumb but what is dh? All I can think of is Dear Husband!

CorsairMac
12-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Thank you for asking that Kim - I've been meaning too after I saw it on another thread. and Ya'll don't Even wanna know what I thought it was!!!

wgtngrl
12-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Hey again - thanks for the warm welcome... and dh = downhill. the more acronyms and abbreviations I use the more time I have for riding :cool:

Just have to remember that others don't necessarily know them - and its also best not to let them all creep into verbal conversations!

Glad to hear you like what you've seen of NZ (New Zealand) - most of us are pretty proud of what we've got down here, and none more so than mountain bikers, because we really get out to some of the most amazingly beautiful spots.

Irulan
12-18-2004, 06:39 AM
dh = dear hubby ( or darn hubby) AND downhill...

so, does your dh dh?

:D

irulan

wgtngrl
12-28-2004, 10:52 PM
haha - I wish my boy would take up riding... he's a golfer. It works out okay - both take up a lot of time and it's far better than me feeling guilty about being out riding all the time and him having nothing to do.

I've taken him on a couple of rides, but its all too much hard work for him (poor thing!).

I've just had my last dh race of the year in scorching hot sun at a place called mount maunganui - or 'the mount'. One of our best beaches, with a huge hill at the end. Only rideable once a year and it was my first time. Competing against the world champion was quite an experience as well - good to see her pushing her bike up along with the rest of us :D

DirtDiva
01-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Hey, cool, another NZer! I'm from a little further south than you though - Chch girly. Just getting into the dirt and have been hanging out at Bottle Lake Forest. It's like mountain biking but without the mountain :D. I think it's time to explore a little more though. Heck, there's plenty of flatness to choose from in Canty if I can't get over my fear that anything seriously uphill will kill me.

psychavoc
03-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Wicked! I thought I was the only NZ girl here! :)

Hey wgtngrl - fancy seeing you on here ;)

tlkiwi - if you ever decide to roadtrip down a bit further south, there's definitely heaps of good riding out in Central Otago - can anyone say NASEBY? :rolleyes: Lovely flowy singletrack, awesome views, and with no major uphills or downhills (that my boyfriend shows me when we go there at least.. they probably exist, only he knows probably won't ride up or down them.. ).

DirtDiva
03-02-2005, 11:20 PM
:rolleyes: Well, I don't mind the uphills when there's noone around to see me get off and push most of the way up, and i kinda like the downhill parts when there's nothing to crash into... Have been exploring the Port Hills around Victoria Park of late. Thanks for the Otago suggestion, by the way.

Tigger
03-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Am I glad I have stumbled on this... Out to NZ next week (from the UK) and fancied fitting in some biking when I'm down - I don't have too much time... but any recommendations much appreciated, I may have some time to fit in while visiting Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown...

Susan126
03-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Tigger,
I'm jealous. I would love to be on my way to NZ or anywhere nice right now then sitting here at my desk at work. The sun is shining and the roads (both on and off) are beckening me. Sigh . . . Have fun fun fun!

psychavoc
03-03-2005, 03:16 PM
..some time to fit in while visiting Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown...
I seriously, truly, totally recommend signing up to www.vorb.org.nz - the number one cycling website in NZ. If you make a post saying you're visiting, there's a huge riding contingent in Welly, and some in Chch, and a few in Queeny that will be able to give you heaps of advice, and perhaps even take you out for a spin. In particular, there's a large MTBing crew of women in Welly that I'm sure would be glad to show you around the local trails (they did when I was up there! mmmm welly singletrack.)

Tigger
03-04-2005, 12:09 AM
Cool thanks psychavoc... looking forward to it, might make all the flying worth it! :D

psychavoc
03-05-2005, 03:13 PM
I just found your thread on Vorb Tigger :) There's a secret women's forum on Vorb aswell, so I'll ask the moderator of that forum to add you to the group. I've also posted up in the Women's forum asking the girls to give you some helpful advice in your thread :cool:

RoadRaven
04-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Wow!
All these NZ girls - cool

I'm near Taupo though - northern most of you all so far!
Hi psychavoc, wgtngrl ... and hi again tlkiwi

And Tigger - trust you are enjoying, or have enjoyed, our lovely country... bit cold today though...