PDA

View Full Version : I got it!

cathleen
12-13-2004, 08:16 AM
I picked up my new bike this weekend! It's my first real road bike.

After shopping around, I decided on a Trek 1000 WSD. The WSD fit me better. (Long legs, kinda short torso.)

It was in the lower end of our budget ($600-800.) And, I guess since I hadn't blown the entire budget on the bike, my father started wandering around the LBS, picking up stuff, asking, "Do you have one of these? Or one o' those?"

So I wound up getting a bunch of goodies for the new bike - the kind of things I would've wound up going back to get anyway. (But since I'm jobless at the moment, it probably would've been a long while before I actually went back to get stuff.)

A computer, a rear rack & bag (for long rides), a pump w/ built-in gauge, a multi-tool, a new helmet (in pearly white to match the bike!) and a bright yellow-green Pearl windbreaker.

I was kind of embarassed. I kept saying stuff like, "Really, my current helmet is fine, I can take my computer & seat bag off my old bike," etc. but he kinda smiled and didn't listen.

He jokingly pointed to a pair of lobster-claw gloves and said, "soon we'll have you out wearing some of these!" Wish I'd taken him up on the offer - went out for a spin yesterday and my fingertips were painfully cold within minutes!

Today, we've gotten 3" of snow and it's still coming down, so I guess it'll be a while before I get to take 'er out again. I keep going down to the basement just to look! Hee hee. :p

emily_in_nc
12-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Congratulations, Cathleen!

May you enjoy many miles on your new ride....

Emily in NC, where it's chilly but not snowing, thank goodness

CorsairMac
12-13-2004, 10:03 AM
wooohooo - what a wonderful "gift". Congrats hun and don't worry - she'll be right there waiting for you when the weather clears!

jobob
12-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Enjoy!!! :cool:

pedalfaster
12-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Congrats on the new ride!

I can totally relate to going to "check in" on her.

I think you did the smart thing by using the exra $$$ on accessories. Those hi-vis yellow/green jackets are da' bomb for grey winter riding.

Go back for the lobsters; they are the *only* thing that allows me to ride in the winter (that and good neoprene shoe covers).

:) :) :)

cathleen
12-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks everybody! it's been totally fun to shop and now, to have the bike!

I just got back from ride #2. It's 26 degrees (F) out and dayyy-um, that's cold! :eek: But, I was layered up and while some parts of me got a little cold, I didn't freeze.

Picked up a micrfiber knit balaclava w/ neoprene mouth & nose cover. Worn under helmet, it made a big difference! My ears still got a little cold, but, when I felt a teeny bit of that cold air get in around my nose, I knew my face would've been bitten raw without that mask. That ride wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

PS: I had stopped into Gander Mtn last night for something else, and started digging through their gloves & hats & thermals and I have to hand it to them for having a pretty good selection of stuff. :cool:

ACG
12-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Hey! We have the same bike. I live in SoCal, so I'm been able to ride it more. It is dark in the a.m. (my only riding time) Gonna go buy me a light, so I can ride in the a.m. Still working out some kinks adjusting handlebar and seats. Have fun.