PDA

View Full Version : first spin class

mimitabby
10-17-2007, 04:53 PM
omigoodness! that lady was nuts! our instructor made us stand and pedal for at least 10 minutes, maybe more! and if that wasn't bad enough, the first thing she said, from a scale of 1 to 10, i want you pedaling 7! then 8! then 9!! we never did 1 -6!! But I like 1-6 what's wrong with these people?!?

good grief, when we were done i was wet from head to foot! who knew! the girl next to me kept begging for more while i was thinking; please ignore her, teacher, (and she did)
What a workout. ouch ouch ouch.

Zen
10-17-2007, 06:11 PM
hehehe...
You'll be back.

Miranda
10-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Sounds like the class was more advanced, or maybe the population in the class is such normally. That makes a diff sometimes, but the teacher should always state that you can modify, and demonstrate what that is. Especailly for new students. I was a spinner before a road cyclists, and consider myself to be with the crazies on the adreline junkie stuff, but I have my reasons and days that I do not follow the drill cued. That is perfectly ok, and really a good thing. It is a different work out from the road, even tho is is suppose to be like it. Before the road, and spinning, I was always a group exercise person for my cardio. Over 20years of doing classes, in my personal opinion, spinning is the toughest cardio class I have ever taken in my life, for whatever that's worth. But, you still don't have to kill yourself like some of the cult members, if that's not your goal for the day, to get a good work out.

mimitabby
10-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Like Zen said; I went back.
The friday class has a different instructor. In fact; she was 28 minutes late for a 45 minute long class. That's okay; a fellow class member put in her ipod full of (ugh) Rap music and we all more or less did freestyle until the teacher showed up. So the workout wasn't near as hard.(we'd gotten numerous messages about her progress around a car wreck on I-5) She came in and seemed a lot more sensible than the M-W person. I look forward to having a full class with her next week.
She used a different numbering system than the first woman, instead of having us doing 7,8, and 9 we were doing 2, 3 and 4! who knows.

teigyr
10-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Mimi, where are you going?

The instructors are all different where I go. I have favorites, of course. They all respect that you need to do what is best for you. It's a rugged workout though. I love it :D

KnottedYet
10-20-2007, 04:07 PM
so, is it anything like actual biking?

are you just standing and mashing like someone doing RAMROD on a single-speed?

Zen
10-20-2007, 06:13 PM
so, is it anything like actual biking?

Yes, like riding a fixie. my favorite instructor starts us out in 5-just barely feeling the quads work, then directs us from there. We'll do some four count jumps and some longer standing climbs.

When she plays "Free Bird" we're in for a workout.

Zeek
10-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Mimi, where are you going?

The instructors are all different where I go. I have favorites, of course. They all respect that you need to do what is best for you. It's a rugged workout though. I love it :D

Teigyr's got it right. Spinning Instructors sometimes tend to make class the "me" show instead of the "you" show. Spinning is all about taking it at YOUR OWN pace. It all depends where you are in your workout week. The instructor you took the first time is clueless. You start each training session with a warm-up, gradually increasing cadence and resistance as you try and get your HR up to 65% of your max. You EASE the body into the session--you don't slam the body against a brick wall. That's not smart training. I'm a level 3 instructor. I taking continuing education courses to stay current with the spinning program and to further my education. So many instructors out there don't do this. The goal is that you feel good at the end of a session. If you are miserable the next day, moody, short tempered, then you worked yourself too hard and you tapped out your energy resources and didn't do anything but wreak havoc on your body. And there is no mashing of the pedals. The goal is to pedal in smooth ellipticals: not in squares.

Possegal
10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
i love spinning! and mainly because i can tailor it to my own needs and condition. every so often i'll find an instructor who feels it is her place to tell me that i haven't added enough tension. but i know my surgical knee better than she does. :rolleyes: the same instructor also likes to do things where she wants you to only pedal with one leg. again, i pass on that. so far, she's not said anything to me if she has noticed. i figure that i don't do that on my road bike, so i don't do it on my spin bike. and i'm sure my knee surgeon would be OK with that too. :D

redrhodie
10-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Do you wear your padded cycling shorts to spin class? I'm thinking about starting this winter, and don't want to look like a greenhorn :o .

What about shoes? Will spds work?

Possegal
10-24-2007, 09:52 AM
i always have my padded shorts on. (well not always as i'm not sitting here in my office wearing them, but you get the idea). some folks scoff at me (mostly men it seems) but i don't care, no point hurting my tush, right? and i think more folks than not in the classes i've gone to have them on, though not usually the instructors now that i think about it, which is odd and now i want to hear from any of the instructors on the board. anyway, i wear the same shoes i ride my road bike in and i wouldn't spin without the shoes or the shorts. so no, you won't look like a greenhorn if you wear both of them to a class.

i don't tend to wear my cycling jerseys though, but that may just be me. i did chuckle at a guy who came to class once, and it was clear he was new since he didn't know how to set up the bike. he had on the full regalia (all but the helmet and i almost imagine he had it in his car just in case). he had on the gloves and the jersey (the two things i don't wear). then the spin instructor kicked his butt. he was literally draped over the handlebars (made my back ache just looking at him). i hate to say it was kinda funny, is that evil of me?

Zeek
10-24-2007, 11:09 AM
i always have my padded shorts on. (well not always as i'm not sitting here in my office wearing them, but you get the idea). some folks scoff at me (mostly men it seems) but i don't care, no point hurting my tush, right? and i think more folks than not in the classes i've gone to have them on, though not usually the instructors now that i think about it, which is odd and now i want to hear from any of the instructors on the board. anyway, i wear the same shoes i ride my road bike in and i wouldn't spin without the shoes or the shorts. so no, you won't look like a greenhorn if you wear both of them to a class.

i don't tend to wear my cycling jerseys though, but that may just be me. i did chuckle at a guy who came to class once, and it was clear he was new since he didn't know how to set up the bike. he had on the full regalia (all but the helmet and i almost imagine he had it in his car just in case). he had on the gloves and the jersey (the two things i don't wear). then the spin instructor kicked his butt. he was literally draped over the handlebars (made my back ache just looking at him). i hate to say it was kinda funny, is that evil of me?

I wear my cycling shorts, and a spinning jersey and my gloves when I instruct. My palms sweat and the gloves help absorb the sweat so I don't slip all over the handlebars. Some spinning bikes now have more of a padded bar where you don't necessarily need gloves. It depends on the bikes in your studio. I also wear cycling shoes with SPD clips (note: not all spinning bikes have the SPD pedals--some only have the toe cages--you should check with the facility where you are going to spin).

As far as an spinning instructor "kicking" someone's butt, again, I reiterate, it's up to YOU what intensity level you take it to. You need to listen to your body, learn to relax, and let your legs carry you through. If you feel your form starting to suffer, that's your body telling you it's time to take a break. Sit back, relax, release some resistance and gain control of your breath and your pedal strokes. Join back in when you're ready to. It's all about YOU, the rider.

There's nothing wrong with riding in your full cycling gear. If that's what makes you feel like you're really riding outdoors, than go for it. No one should feel they are being judged in the cycling room. It's a non-competitive class. The competition is within yourself and not with anyone else (and especially not with the instructor).

Possegal
10-24-2007, 11:39 AM
yay, i said she kicked someone else's butt, not mine. i don't let them do that to me, i ride to my own level and the level my surgical knee lets me. just saying, since it seems you are telling me to not let them do that and i've said i don't, and that's why i like spin, cause you tailor it to your own level.

the handlebars are padded at my gym, i didn't realize some aren't. that's why i don't feel the need to wear gloves. and i had no idea some bike's pedals don't have anything but the cage, that is good to know for anytime i travel and try to find a spin class in the area to take, now i will be sure to be prepared for that, thanks for the info!

mimitabby
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
today's the first class I missed, work got in the way; that happens sometimes. Knot, it's not much like bicycling, the tension is all wrong; on a stationary bike you can build up momentum and the thing spins easier, it's not really like that on a bike. I find it's easier to stand up and pedal than sit down; even though it does raise the heart rate some.
However, from where i am tired and sore; i would say it's going to help my bicycling in the long run! especially since when it gets crummy out i don't want to ride.

redrhodie
10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I went to spinning today! Didn't feel too much like a greenhorn, thanks to all your advice. It was really fun, but not AS fun as riding a real bike. I think I'm hooked. It's a great workout for bad weather days.

Zeek
10-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I went to spinning today! Didn't feel too much like a greenhorn, thanks to all your advice. It was really fun, but not AS fun as riding a real bike. I think I'm hooked. It's a great workout for bad weather days.

Congrats! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! It's not the same as riding outdoors, but heck, you can pretend like you're outside "in your mind." It's a lot about the mind/body connection. I hope you continue to go back and enjoy the class. Be sure to educate yourself--there are a lot of instructors out there who like to deviate from the true principles behind spinning. Since you are an outdoor cyclist, you will have an aptitude for this. Enjoy it as the weather gets worse, and might I suggest using mental imagery to put yourself where you want to be. Don't be afraid to close your eyes and leave the room in your head. Visualize your hill, or your flat. What do you see? What do you smell? What do you hear? Go that route and pretty soon summer will be here and you can get back on the road!

Zen
10-24-2007, 08:45 PM
I like to wear gloves because I can't help but think of all the germs.

I used to wear padded shorts but don't bother with it anymore.

As far as the one legged pedaling, I think it goes against proper instructional methods to have the class unclip on one side but I have had instructors tell us to emphasize one leg and let the other go along for the ride.

I liked my class tonight, we were on (imaginary) cross bikes!

Zeek
10-25-2007, 06:12 AM
I
As far as the one legged pedaling, I think it goes against proper instructional methods to have the class unclip on one side but I have had instructors tell us to emphasize one leg and let the other go along for the ride.
!

Yup Zen you are correct. Removing one foot from the pedal in a spinning class and asking the class to pedal with only the other leg clipped is considered a contraindicated movement in the spinning program. If you've got an instructor doing this, RUN. This person is not up to date on their instructor skills and clearly has not educated him or herself in safe spinning practices. (Now if you're on a trainer working on this technique, well, then, that's a different story but we're talking about spinning bikes here--fixed gear bikes with a weighted flywheel).

It's OK however, to do pedal stroke drills where we keep BOTH shoes clipped in and FOCUS on one leg doing the work while the other leg goes for a "ride." Left foot works while the right foot rests, and alternate right foot works while the left foot rests (where "rests" means just goes along for the ride, while still clipped in).

mimitabby
10-25-2007, 06:28 AM
oh brother. both of our instructors have us do this ( pedal one leg at a time). But they did say i didn't have to clip out if i didn't want to. next time that's what i'll do.
You say i should imagine i'm outside. believe me the instructors are so entertaining I don't need to pretend. both of them are very fit and bubbly and both talk constantly. It's really a lot better than trying to do it in my basement.

Zeek
10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
oh brother. both of our instructors have us do this ( pedal one leg at a time). But they did say i didn't have to clip out if i didn't want to. next time that's what i'll do.
You say i should imagine i'm outside. believe me the instructors are so entertaining I don't need to pretend. both of them are very fit and bubbly and both talk constantly. It's really a lot better than trying to do it in my basement.

Mimi just keep both feet clipped in and focus on one leg working while the other leg "floats" in the pedal and goes for a ride. Do each foot for a period of time, then do both together.

Spinning doesn't need to be entertaining. A great profile, motivating music, and a good coach/instructor who knows how to use SILENCE as a motivator (along with communicating great cues at just the right time) is the secret to a great ride. It should take you someplace deeper within yourself. Mind/body connection. The more distraction created by the instructor (these are what I call "The Me Show" instructors), the less chance you're going to have to make it your ride and go within yourself. But like you said, it's better than trying to do it alone in your basement. I completely understand that. Doing a group exercise seems more motivating to me also.

Possegal
10-25-2007, 08:53 AM
i'm always so impressed with teh music my instructors choose and often wonder - how do they know what songs would work so well. like the songs that have dramatic changes in the beat so you can 'sprint' during the faster part. and some songs are so perfect for climbing. when i try and think myself what i would use if i were teaching a class, i draw a blank. :) how do you guys figure out a good group of songs to spin to? just curious.

i have one instructor i call the 'zen spinner'. (no offense to the poster above). she's very quiet, i'm grateful for that, but she talks CONSTANTLY through the class. i finally stopped going because i do like to just get lost, close my eyes and pretend i'm out on the road, but the constant quiet chatter telling me to 'be the bike' (ok, not really, but similar stuff) is just too much. luckily there are a number of other instructors that mesh with my likes and needs, so it's all good. and others like the style so good for them, we all have different ideas of the perfect spin class and there's something there for everyone.

Zeek
10-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Posse it takes a lot of time and effort to put a great profile together. I find my music from different forums I belong to. I share with other instructors on the forums. I've been researching my music for years so I have quite a collection. I'm glad you've found a mix of instructors who allow you get where you need to be during a spinning training session. It's really important that a club has a variety of different instructors (and not one or two teaching the majority of classes on the schedule) so the participants and members have a choice and can experience different instructors and find the one, two or even three instructors that work best to fit their needs.

Zen
10-25-2007, 09:28 AM
how do you guys figure out a good group of songs to spin to? just curious.sometime I suggest music. It takes time to put a class together, time out songs for tempo and figure out what will fit where

we all have different ideas of the perfect spin class and there's something there for everyone.
unfortunately we only have three instructors, once in a while a good sub. We have a girl that teaches Friday nights who really gets on my nerves but if you want a class on Friday night she's it. It's her"all about me" class. I've learned to tune her out, I'd bet some of the others have too.

Possegal, what club do you go to? Just wondering.
I'm at FitnessFirst in Frederick.

Possegal
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
oh cool zencentury - i'm a fitness first gal too. luckily due to location of home and job, i'm able to go to germantown, rockville and flower hill, in search of the right class. :) but i guess more often i'm in germantown. i have a gym at work too but they don't do very many spin classes and i haven't made it to one there in months!

mimitabby
10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
don't get me started on the music. nothing like 30 minutes of rap music.
It wasn't so bad when it was just the instrumental but when the lyrics started up i got mad. Fortunately it was not the instructor's cd (that was when she was so late )
I am not real impressed with any of the music. I realize i am the oddball here musically. I wish I could bring in some good fiddle music or something. :D

Zeek
10-25-2007, 03:55 PM
nothing like 30 minutes of rap music.

Just....Kill....Me.....NOW

Flybye
10-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Okay, been reading and lurking, now it is time to post on this thread, I suppose!

I have the shorts and got new SPD's that are compat. with the gym bikes.

My only question is - what about the seats? I LOVE my road bike seat. It has been faithful to my buns and bits. How are spin bike seats?

Our class here starts at 5:45 am and I am so not a morning person. I plan on riding outside until I nearly freeze to death before I wake up that early and start going, but that season is in the near future.

mimitabby
10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Uh, Spin seats aren't so great, but my class is only 45 minutes and i can take it. Since we stand up about 15 minutes of it, the 30 minutes of sitting isn't so bad. If I had to sit on one of those saddles for 50 miles I would be miserable.

Today the teacher was playing rap music. Okay, it SOUNDED like rap music.
at least the language was appropriate... (sigh)

Since when do 45 year old white women like rap so much? I mean, REALLY!?
I understand about the 20 year olds.....

(give me a good Sousa march!)

Zen
10-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I like(some) rap music:o But that would not be good spin music for me. I like to rock out.

Miranda
11-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Posse it takes a lot of time and effort to put a great profile together. I find my music from different forums I belong to. I share with other instructors on the forums. I've been researching my music for years so I have quite a collection. I'm glad you've found a mix of instructors who allow you get where you need to be during a spinning training session. It's really important that a club has a variety of different instructors (and not one or two teaching the majority of classes on the schedule) so the participants and members have a choice and can experience different instructors and find the one, two or even three instructors that work best to fit their needs.

Zeek... Can you post what forums you belong to you mentioned about the music? Or also any most helpful sites from your experience to aid in teaching?

I recently got Spinning certified to teach class. Wow, talk about a lot of information in one day. Even though I have never taught any kind of class before, I've already had one of the instructors approach me about taking over one of the classes on the schedule by splitting it with another lady who went thru the certification with me. I wasn't even sure there was such a need for help. Might not be such a bad way to start with having someone to share the spot with for rotation.

Besides trying to really figure out "what we are doing" in practice, we both seperately commented on what to do about music. Hopefully, if they don't throw their water bottles and towels at me, guess I'd survive stagefright! Thanks for any thoughts!:)

mimitabby
11-02-2007, 05:59 AM
While visiting a sick friend the other day we saw on their TV a news story about a guy who went ballistic during spin class because he didn't like the other guy's enthusiastic yelling and grunting. He attacked the guy and gave him a good shiner.
It wasn't my spin class.

Possegal
11-02-2007, 06:47 AM
i think that was in NYC and at the gym a co-worker of mine belongs to. he wasn't there at the time though. another co-worker, i have heard, got yelled at in his spin class for being one of those enthusiastic yellers. :) i've had a class or two with a guy (why does it always seem to be guys?) who whooped and hollered and cheered and mostly, it just made me laugh. but i can see someone complaining about it. getting into a brawl, well that's another story. i thought exercise was a stress reliever? not for this guy i guess.

Zen
11-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I heard that one too.

my club is down to just one spin instructor that I like. I thought I'd at least give another one a try but when she played Britney Spears latest debacle I got off the bike and was going to cut out. Then I thought no, I really want to take a spin class so I put my mp3 on and stayed in the class. I doubt anyone but the instructor knew it.

mimitabby
11-02-2007, 08:23 AM
that's pretty gross, Zen.
(sigh)

Zen
11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
WTH?
What's gross?
cheesus.

Zeek
11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Methinks Mimi means the fact that the instructor played Brittany's latest song was gross.

mimitabby
11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
hello Zen?
:D :D :D :D I would see red if my spin teacher played a Britney Spears video.

teigyr
11-02-2007, 01:59 PM
There's a guy in one class that I've been to that seems nice enough but he is a loud breather. Even in the warm up you can hear him all the way across the room. He powerfully breathes through his mouth and moisture DOES go flying :eek: He also tends to shake his head a lot so sweat goes flying too.

Sometimes I think some men have no decorum.

Of course the women...there are women who sit in the back and talk loudly...and go on and on and on even as the instructor says things like "at this level you shouldn't be able to say more than three words". And like I care about what mall they are going to? They don't even follow the instructor cues, they just sit on the bike and pedal and talk.

Maybe it's just me. I AM easily annoyed sometimes :D

Zeek
11-02-2007, 06:01 PM

Oh lord join the club sister! Especially when that time 'o the month rolls around...;)

mimitabby
11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
today my class which is usually 3 women and 10 guys turned into 8 women and 5 guys. very interesting. there was less heavy puffing and stuff, that's for sure. WOmen are tougher?

:D :D :D

teigyr
11-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Either that or women don't make quite the bodily noises that men do.

Of course, I'm sure that could be debated!

Starfish
11-07-2007, 01:07 PM
There's a guy in one class that I've been to that seems nice enough but he is a loud breather. Even in the warm up you can hear him all the way across the room.

I have to say, I can't imagine what you guys would think of me. When I'm working really hard, like on a cardio machine or in spinning, I really try to focus my breath and breathe with my diaphragm, rather than lapsing into panting. But, really, it takes a certain amount of force to really breathe in and out with the diaphragm when your whole body is screaming to just gasp for oxygen.

I know for sure my breathing is really loud under those circumstances. It never occurred to me that anyone would be offended. I'm not offended or bothered by that in others, in the gym, either. I mean, there is no getting around that working out is a really, well, physical thing, with physical noises and so forth. :confused:

Hope this doesn't rub any of you the wrong way...but then, I'm one of those who is actually nude in the locker room rather than putting a handkerchief-sized towel over myself just to get from the locker to the shower, and after reading another thread on TE, I have heard this referred to as "parading naked." :rolleyes:

Oops, I see I kinda went off, here. I just don't mind loud breathing in a class.

mimitabby
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Star, i don't mind, it's just kind of amusing sometimes. The only thing I've minded so far is the bad music and the habit of certain people to come in 20 minutes before class and put a towel on a bike to reserve it; then they come in 10 minutes late.... grrrr

Zen
11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Of course the women...there are women who sit in the back and talk loudly...and go on and on and on even as the instructor says things like "at this level you shouldn't be able to say more than three words". And like I care about what mall they are going to? They don't even follow the instructor cues, they just sit on the bike and pedal and talk.

It's not just you. I wonder why these women even come to class. It's rude to the instructor and it disturbs my concentration. I'm there for a reason and it ain't tea time.

Now where's that naked parade?

Starfish
11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Now where's that naked parade?

Alas, now that I have moved towns, and no longer have access to a gym with steam room, hot tub and sauna, I just shower at home. Private showings only, these days! ;) :p :eek:

spokewench
11-08-2007, 08:25 AM
While visiting a sick friend the other day we saw on their TV a news story about a guy who went ballistic during spin class because he didn't like the other guy's enthusiastic yelling and grunting. He attacked the guy and gave him a good shiner.
It wasn't my spin class.

Maybe the attacker was on steroids? Some of those gym rats sure look like they are on them to me??:eek:

lauraelmore1033
11-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Another loud breather here. I have had asthma since I was a kid and I learned early on that it was easier to breathe during exercise if I pushed the air out fairly forcefully on the exhale rather than trying to suck in hard (which seemed to be somewhat panic inducing and would worsen the problem). I do it even if I'm current with the inhailer prescription, just out of habit. Also, getting into a steady rhythm with the breath seems to help me "get through" some particularly strenuous activities. I didn't realize people found that sort of thing irritating. hmm.

Zeek
11-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Zeek... Can you post what forums you belong to you mentioned about the music? Or also any most helpful sites from your experience to aid in teaching?

I recently got Spinning certified to teach class. Wow, talk about a lot of information in one day. Even though I have never taught any kind of class before, I've already had one of the instructors approach me about taking over one of the classes on the schedule by splitting it with another lady who went thru the certification with me. I wasn't even sure there was such a need for help. Might not be such a bad way to start with having someone to share the spot with for rotation.

Besides trying to really figure out "what we are doing" in practice, we both seperately commented on what to do about music. Hopefully, if they don't throw their water bottles and towels at me, guess I'd survive stagefright! Thanks for any thoughts!:)

Miranda please forgive me for not responding sooner--I just happened to see your post now. I find much of my inspiration on a forum that a Master Instructor (MI) from spinning told me about while I was attending a Continuing Education Course (CEC), www.innercycling.com. I've found the site to be incredibly useful and the members there are more than helpful. I also belong to the spinning.com website (their forum isn't very good, IMHO) but they do email monthly profiles and music lists if you are a paying member. THIS forum is ALSO incredibly helpful. Not just the spinning section but read the posts from real road riders to gain more insight about riding a real bike outdoors (I also ride outdoors). Spinning was first conceived by Johnny Goldberg (Johnny G) years ago after many years of training and miles in the saddle. Aside from being on rollers or a trainer, it's the closest thing we have indoors, to riding outdoors. That's important to remember when you teach your class. Keep it real. Don't stray from the principles. If you do, you'll end up like many others who turn spinning into "aerobics on the bike" and that's NOT what it's all about.

Have you taught your first class yet? The stage fright goes away after awhile. Give yourself some time and give your participants time to get to learn your style. I encourage you to get on the sub lists of as many facilities in your area as possible. This will help ease your nerves and will help you become more comfortable and self-confident up in front of a group of riders. Remember: they are there because they WANT to be there. And you can take it from there! Good luck!

Miranda
11-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Zeek... thx for the spinning site resource. No, I have not taught my first class yet. Unfortunately have some other stuff come up, gotta be on hold for now. But, I'll be reading and researching in the meantime. That's a good tip about getting on the sub list at other facilities. That would certainly be a training tool for stagefright. In some ways, it might be easier to teach in front of those I didn't know, vs ones that I do.

Zeek
11-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Zeek... thx for the spinning site resource. No, I have not taught my first class yet. Unfortunately have some other stuff come up, gotta be on hold for now. But, I'll be reading and researching in the meantime. That's a good tip about getting on the sub list at other facilities. That would certainly be a training tool for stagefright. In some ways, it might be easier to teach in front of those I didn't know, vs ones that I do.

I've done it both ways and I feel that teaching in front of folks you don't know is a little easier. ;) Check back in on your progress as you go!

Flybye
04-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Wow THAT was FUN!! I did a spin class last night - my first. I am exhausted today - not sore, just TIRED. Those muscles got used!

How often should I spin just getting started? Should I listen to my body or press on even when I still feel achy and tired? I am training for a century in June and this is part of the training process since our weather stinks.

Kiekie
04-03-2008, 06:29 AM
When I first started spinning, I went about every 3 days. I could have went more, but my butt was so sore! lol. Some days I thought I was ready to go back, and then as soon as I sat on the saddle all the soreness came right back! I would say go twice a week for 2 weeks or so and then up it from there. But I am not training in any way... just spin for the exercise and how it makes me feel. So just listen to your body...

Zeek
04-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Flybye glad you enjoyed your first spinning class. I would listen to your body. If you are tired, rest. You'll perform better in your next spinning class if you allow your body to rest and let your muscles grow. :)

Once you get accustomed to spinning, although I am not a Master Instructor (I am STAR 3 JGSI), I would say if you are in training for an event (and you said that you are) you may benefit from spinning 4X/week in different energy zones. But not until your body is ready for that. Do you have your aerobic base built back yet from the winter, or are you still in your aerobic base-building period?