PDA

View Full Version : work stands

elk
10-12-2007, 05:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Display-Work-Repair-Stand-Y-Stand-Bike-Tool-NEW_W0QQitemZ110180160531QQihZ001QQcategoryZ7295QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what do you use for a work stand just to get yr rear wheel up off the ground? This one could be great or awful....thoughts?

elk

DebW
10-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Those things work fine for a simple tune-up. But, they don't fit all bikes, only typical steel frames of 1" diameter (possibly 1 1/8"). Aluminum is usually a larger diameter. And carbon could be a funny shape. You also have to watch out for how the cables run around the bottom bracket - some configurations may not work with the stand.

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-13-2007, 02:37 AM
I have one of those little stands. It's good for just lubing your chain and washing the bike, and for keeping your bike upright in the garage, but it's not sturdy enough to actually be a "work stand". The bike can tip over when it's bumped. And Deb's right- only works with thinnish steel tubes.

A real work stand for your bike will put the bike at eye level, have big tripod feet to keep it from tipping, and will clamp your bike firmly while you tighten bolts and take wheels on and off, etc.

DebW, don't you have some sort of cool pulley system for hoisting your bikes into the air to work on them? Do I recall a picture?

elk
10-13-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't wanna invest in one of those yet, Lisa; first I need to see how much work i'm actually going to do and how much I'll relegate..;)
But I do need something for simple maintennce and don't have a garage...

ANy other sugestions?

tia
e

bike4ever
10-13-2007, 06:29 PM
elk - Where do you keep your bike? Can you put a hook in the ceiling and hang some cord like a loop? You can then hang your bike and do the basic maintenance.

I used a similar set up in June visiting a friend in VA. I visit and have to work on all of their bikes. I did ask how I can help.:cool:

elk
10-14-2007, 03:35 PM
my bike is in the living room :eek: and DH's is in the hall....we don't have a watertight, lockable shed yet...