PDA

View Full Version : Bib shorts & other women's apparel...?

imaguywithagirl
12-02-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm a guy. My fiancee is just getting into biking and I've been shopping to buy her some apparel. She's been riding with just regular shorts, so I want to buy her some bike shorts, but there are bib shorts and regular padded shorts, and I'm not sure which is better. The bib looks like it's mesh, so I suppose she'd wear a jersey over it?

And speaking of jerseys. There's a lot of unisex stuff out there-- does that stuff really fit, or should I be focusing only on jerseys designed specifically for women?

Any help would be appreciated!

GB

Dogmama
12-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Bib's can be tricky. I'd go with a good quality biking short with padding. Unless your honey is built like a man, "unisex" jersey's won't fit. This website has lots of women specific clothing. Cruise around and come back with specific questions (e.g., questions about brands, style, etc.) You're sure to get lots of advice.

CorsairMac
12-02-2004, 11:04 AM
you also might want to take her along - let her pick. Some of us women LOVE the womens jerseys - some of us the fit is too - ummmm - tight so we wear unisex or mens. I can give some on the shorts as long as the jersey fits and stays on my hips where it belongs! :D oh - and by the way - what a neat guy! hope the 2 of you have fun!

imaguywithagirl
12-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Hmm. I can't take her with me. See, here's the situation: I just bought her a new Bianchi Eros as a wedding present. We're getting married New Year's Eve, flying home on the 1st, then leaving on our honeymoon on the 2nd. I really wanted to give her the bike when we get home from the wedding, but if I leave it at the store, it's returnable in case it's the wrong size frame. Once I pick it up, it's non-returnable. So my next best idea was to have the apparel at the house-- I need SOMEthing to give to her, right? I mean, I can't just say, "Surprise, Sugar, I got you a bike, and you can go see it in the store in two weeks!"

So either way I'm stuck guessing at a fit: either I trust that the bike is the right size and have it at the house waiting, or I trust that the clothing I get is the right size and leave the bike at the store until we get back from our honeymoon.

I'm feeling in WAY over my head here, so any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated. I'm going to go browse the TE Store....

GB

jobob
12-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Wow, you're fiancee is one lucky girl! :cool:

I can understand your predicament but ... you're absolutely right in making sure the bike fits her correctly, so you really do need to take her to the store to make sure she gets the proper sized frame. And you don't want to rush the fitting process, so obviously it will have to wait until after you guys return from your honeymoon and the dust settles.

As for clothing .... aack! Cycling clothing sizing is such a hit-or-miss thing, different brands run quite different. *Especially* in shorts, but jersey sizes can vary a lot too.

If you want to get her something you can wrap up and give to her, how about a nice cycling jacket ? Jacket sizing is a lot more forgiving than shorts and jerseys. My personal favorite cycling jacket is made by Pearl Izumi, and it's sleeves zip off so it can convert to a vest - very versatile!

Along with the wrapped-up present, maybe you could include a photo of the new bike? Perhaps you could download an image from the Bianchi website, and print it out on a color or photo printer, and if you want to get really fancy put it in a nice folder or a frame.

Now for the important question: is the Eros going to be blue or Kandy Mango? (we like Kandy Mango here :D )

Congratulations, and very best wishes!

-jobob

imaguywithagirl
12-02-2004, 12:19 PM
I didn't know they offered Kandy Mango, but no, it's "Celeste." She came over to my place a few months ago with a story about a woman she'd met on the subway who had her bike with her. My fiancee thought the bicycle was "gorgeous," and described it-- it was clearly a Bianchi. Anyway, the woman on the subway was wearing Bianchi apparel, my fiancee thought she looked great, and the woman apparently was very enthusiastic and friendly, and really sold my fiancee on cycling as more than an occasional ride in the park. My fiancee's never forgotten that woman (THANK YOU, THANK YOU, WHOEVER AND WHEREVER YOU ARE!!) and I've never forgotten that she thought the Celeste Bianchi was "gorgeous." Ah, the dreams of riding off on 60-mile afternoons with my wife.....

I'll take a look at the jacket. Thanks for the tip!!

GB

imaguywithagirl
12-02-2004, 12:49 PM
How about the Shebeest cycle tights? And the Castelli long-sleeve jersey? It is winter, after all....

jobob
12-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Sounds great !! - just so long as they're returnable (or at least exchangable) if you don't get the size quite right. Find out the return policy & procedures before you buy.

I had purchased some tights via mail-order, and on paper it looked as though they would fit me, but in reality, notsomuch. I was able to return them, fortunately. Try to leave on the tags if you can, it makes returning a lot easier (and some places require the tags to be attached in order to accept returns).

Oh, and Celeste is a fabulous color ! You cannot go wrong with that.

SadieKate
12-02-2004, 01:54 PM
I love bib short cuz I can wear them in the summer and my love handles are hidden!!

Cycling apparel is very tough to buy for women. The jacket is a terrific idea and is probably more "returnable." More ideas are gloves, saddle bag, tools, tube, headband, sunglasses, etc.

Then another idea, years ago my hubby gave me a giant box for Xmas. Inside was another box, and then another box, etc. Finally, a little jewelry box with a gem of a Campagnolo seatpost bolt. Of course, then I knew that there was something to go with it. Give her a tube and a gift certificate for clothing. She'll figure it out.

snapdragen
12-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Lot's of good suggestions from the girls here. My two cents, you could also get accesories for the new Celeste beauty! Water bottle cage (my favorite is the Nitto cage, http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/waterbottles_cages/20030.html), seat bag, maybe a computer, ......the list goes on!

Oh.....and do you have an older brother :D :D :D

Veronica
12-02-2004, 05:35 PM
I have two of the Nitto cages. They are prettier I think. I'd go the gift certificate route, maybe tucked into a seat bag tool kit. We chicks tend to be awfully particular about our cycling clothing. :D

V.

SadieKate
12-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Picky, us? :D

imaguywithagirl
12-03-2004, 05:26 AM
Wow. Lots of great ideas here. I like the idea of a box inside a box inside a box, etc..... I just moved, so I have tons of boxes. So, a gift certificate for clothing, wrapped around a bike computer and stuffed inside a pair of gloves, then several boxes all around that....

BTW, a friend referred me to another great website you may already know of: http://www.terrybicycles.com. The whole site is women-specific, and she also strongly recommended that "bolero" for converting a tank top into long-sleeves. FYI.

Thanks so much! Logging onto this list for advice has made the agonizing a lot more fun, with your senses of humor and all.

GB

P.S. I'm the oldest, and both of my younger brother are hitched or might as well be.

jobob
12-03-2004, 06:51 AM
SadieKate, that is such a cool story! I can just visualize that shiny little Campy seatpost bolt in the jewelry box - your husband is brilliant. (I had to get a new seatpost bolt right after I purchased Dusty, and the bike shop only had Campy bolts, very pretty little things ... I joked that I now have a Campy part on my bike).

I second (third?) the idea for the Nitto water bottle cages. Funny, I used to think they were so expensive, then I saw the prices on the ultralight carbon water bottle cages and er, nevermind... :rolleyes:

GB, I do hope you realize that when all is said & done, you and your bride will have to come back and tell us how it went ? :D

SadieKate
12-03-2004, 08:13 AM
I love the idea of nestling a certificate, computer, gloves, etc. Very nice!!!

I have the Bolero from the Terry catalog. I love it. Very comfy and since we have 2 seasons here (hot and cold) it is perfect to go with all my sleeveless jerseys.

CorsairMac
12-03-2004, 11:02 AM
so GB....do we get a gift certificate nestled inside all our advice? and I was thinking same thing - do ya Got any brothers?.......although it was More the Bike I wanted then the whole marriage attachment thing! :-D Anyway - congrats to you both and you need to introduce your "wife" to the site once all is said and done!
Oh and yes yes yes...we want to know what you ended up doing and how it went!

imaguywithagirl
01-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Ladies, you were wonderful in helping me figure this out. With you all in mind, I shoved a video camera in her face, and.....
http://www.randyarmadillo.com/Movie.wmv
Thanks again,
GB

SadieKate
01-15-2005, 09:34 AM
That's a wonderful video you'll treasure forever. She is sooooo happy! Way to go!

Thanks for the most excellent report!

JanT
01-15-2005, 04:53 PM
I just found this thread, and have enjoyed every minute of reading it. It's like a love story with a really great ending. Congratulations to the happy couple, and I wish you many miles and many days of riding together.
Jan

spazzdog
01-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Way to go GB!!!

You are a man who knows his way to hundreds of womens hearts (i.e. the entire TE board AND your fiance).

Now, get her to sign up here on TE and we'll keep hooking her up with "roadie" stuff.

Congrats on a job well done and enjoy the honeymoon.

spazz

jobob
01-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Oh now how cool is that ?!?!?

Congrats, guys. Wishing you many happy miles ahead.

- Jo.