PDA

View Full Version : ride pics

MomOnBike
12-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Finally, a few pics of a very nice ride DH & I took, um, way back in September.

http://lincolndietrichs.org/mopac1.html

A few thoughts:

Nebraska is NOT (gasp) flat. (pant) About 10 miles of the ride were either UP (wheeze) or Down (Whee!)

The older I get the more I believe that summer rides are to be endured so that one can enjoy the fall rides. The colors! the cooler temps! Yeah, fall riding is where it is AT. I remember the ride as being more colorful than the pics show, though. Hmmm.

Teenage daughters - even those who are unexcited about bikes - have their uses. Younger Daughter drove us - and the bikes - to our starting point for the day. All we had to do was ride home.

My bike makes me smile which is, after all, the true test of a bike.

bentforlife
12-01-2004, 11:50 AM
If I can ever figure out how to get my pictures up I will someday. I like your recumbent. It looks shorter than mine. Mine has a 70 inch wheel base. You can see a picture at www.rans.com. It is the Stratus. I have the XL model. Mine is a pretty blue. I envy you having the fairing. I would kill for one but it will have to wait. I need work done on my cello and to rehair a cello bow and daughter's violin bow first. I see you are a classical musician, what do you play, if you don't mind sharing?

That ride looks like something I'd like to do someday. I'll have to settle for the trails along the Trinity river here in Fort Worth, TX for now They are very pretty also. I've also heard of a trail between Mineral Wells and Weatherford that's nice also. May have to wait for warmer weather.

Donna :)

MomOnBike
12-01-2004, 04:45 PM
I was tempted by a Stratus, but, well, William smiled at me from the LBS window and the rest is history. I have a guitar I bought the same way. I guess I'm just a sucker for a seductive smile.

I just looked it up, and wow, your bike is longer than mine. I didn't think that was possible. I only have a 62" wheelbase. Don't tell William, it will hurt his little feelings.

Since William was used, I got the fairing with the rest of the package. I like it. I would still be waiting if I had had to buy it seperately (durn these budgets). It's kind of noisy, but I'll live with that because it really helps with headwinds.

I play viola and string bass, and I mess around on the guitar some. DH and YD play French horn. ED plays oboe and percussion. Yeah, we're kind of musical. Valve oil and rosin are line items in our household budget. We can't help it, we were raised that way.:rolleyes:

bentforlife
12-02-2004, 08:35 AM
We have more in common than I thought. I also have 2 daughters, one 21 and one 14. The ED still lives at home, going to college and working. She plays piano, played clarinet in band, and sings. I'm also teaching her guitar.

YD plays violin, piano (private lessons) and percussion in band. She's also learned a little mandolin and I'm teaching her guitar also.

I've played guitar for about 39 years. I learned oboe and English horn as an adult but my asthma got so bad I had to give it up. I play drums for our church's praise band. And I'm learning to play the cello.

I grew up with musical sisters, we sang together alot. I didn't major in music but I'm the one who has stuck with it the longest. I do some light composing and arranging. I play piano, mostly for my own torture!!

DH is not musical at all, can't even sing. But he is a good listener and works the sound board at church.

I hear you about all the accessories! And repairs. My daughter has a 115 year old violin that's in great shape. Bow rehairs can get expensive though.

I enjoy riding my Stratus, actually got on sale through Hostel Shoppe. It's been cold enough that I have it up a trainer right now.

Just waiting for a few warmer days. Have a good weekend.

Donna :D

bikerchick68
02-11-2005, 10:39 AM
that pic of the mopac trail is gorgeous! looks like it was a lovely ride... thanks for posting and sharing those... another place to ride added to my lonnnnnnng list now! :)

MomOnBike
02-12-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty lucky. I can get on the Mopac a mile or two from the front door, and go for miles.

We have (counting on fingers) a total 4 trails like that, all within an easy drive, and one more going in soon. Not a lot of MTB stuff, but long, pretty, relaxing rides. Some with B&B's nearby.

No wonder I got a bike to Go Places on.

bikerchick68
02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
nice! there's lots of riding out here too as the weather is so good, but the scenery is different... it's funny... I ride by the coast all the time... waves crashing on the rocks, and surfers ripping thru the water... and I take it for granted... every so often I ride along and chat with someone from out of town and they're just in awe that we can ride by the ocean whenever we want...

I just really enjoy seeing NEW scenery! Got to ride in Ireland last year... and WOW! there were areas that looked like that trail... green, green, green!

I really want to do a cycling trip some fall thru Vermont... ride along thru the changing of the leaves... yep, I have lots of big plans and a weeeee little bank acct... sigh.... :rolleyes: :D

MomOnBike
02-17-2005, 02:33 PM
The ocean. (thinking hard) Hmm, that's like a lot of water, or something, right?

Actually, I think I've near large, scary bodies of water fewer than 5 times in my whole life. Kind of sad, really.

I'd like to take your ocean rides, just to see what all the fuss is about. I'll have to wait until I win the lottery or something first, though.

Actually, I'm starting to think about riding the pretty rides in all 50 states. I'm sure they all have some beauty, & I'd like to discover it.

Now for that lottery money...

(What, you mean I have to buy a ticket??!)