PDA

View Full Version : handlebar question

Beane
10-09-2007, 08:33 AM
So, I am currently spec'ing my new bike, which is both fun & exciting and totally time and thought consuming.. Anyhow, I have decided that I want curvy (non-anatomic) handlebars and am trying to decide between the Modolo Venus and the Modolo X-boost. The x-boost seems to be a better shape for me -- the drop is a little more vertical whereas the Venus looks a little more horizontal. Has anyone ever seen both of these and can confirm this? As far as I'm concerned, the $15 price difference isn't important at this point. The other difference is that I could get the Venus in 38cm, which I think is the right size for me, but the X-boost would be 40cm. So, what is more important, a slightly better drop shape, or being the right width? You can see both here:

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/manufacturer/Modolo/barsstems

Any advice would be appreciated! My DH says I'm obsessing (which OK I probably am).. but I want to know which is more important for comfort..

ilima
10-09-2007, 09:49 AM
I vote for the Venus.

The X-Boost is described as 'super ergonomic.' It's also a good bit heavier than the Venus (220g vs. 280g).

As far as width goes, what is your current bar? Is it comfortable or do your shoulders hurt on longer rides? Based on my actual shoulder width, I was fitted with a 40cm (c-c) bar. In practice, though, it was too narrow. I'm now on a 42cm (c-c) and much happier.

Beane
10-09-2007, 10:40 AM
My current bar is 38cm. It's funny you ask if my shoulders bother me now. They really never used to, but lately I have been getting a bit of pain -- more of a sharp pain than a dull one -- right in the middle of my back about 5" or so below my neck. But I read that that can mean the bars are too wide ...?