PDA

View Full Version : Carbon seat stays ....

brok
11-29-2004, 06:43 AM
are they necessary? I am continuing to shop for my first road bike. I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes - I think. My question is - all other things being equal, same component group, wheels, etc - are carbon seat stays worth the extra money? Both bikes have a carbon fork but one has carbon seat stays as well. Please give me some thoughts - pros and cons of each.:confused: Thanks for the input.

Steph_in_TX
11-29-2004, 11:18 AM
While they aren't necessary, they could be helpful. I guess it depends on the frame material...steel or aluminum? The carbon seat stays will help you have a bit of a smoother ride. If the bike itself is steel you might not get as much benefit from them than you would if the bike is aluminum, which is a harsher ride than steel. I would say that if you have two bikes to pick from and that's the only difference...give them each a good test ride and pick the ride that's most comfortable. I have one steel with a carbon fork only and one aluminum with carbon fork and seat stays. I can't say that I feel any great difference in how the two feel on my backside.

Just my .02
Stephanie