PDA

View Full Version : Planning Ahead--Riding the Whole C&O Canal

divingbiker
10-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Yesterday on our ride, Kalidurga and I were talking about riding the entire length of the C&O, from Cumberland to Georgetown. I think I'm going to do this next year sometime. I'll go alone if I have to, but it would be fun to have company. Anybody interested?

Here's what I'm thinking right now; this is a very tentative itinerary.

Day 0 Drive to Cumberland, stay at the Inn at Walnut Bottom or Holiday Inn
Day 1 Cumberland to Little Orleans 43.7 miles, stay at the Little Orleans Lodge
Day 2 Little Orleans to Williamsport 41.4 miles, stay at the Red Roof Inn
Day 3 Williamsport to Harpers Ferry 38.7 miles, stay at the Comfort Inn
Day 4 Harpers Ferry to Georgetown 60.7 miles, metro home and stay in my own bed
Day 5 Ride Amtrak train to Cumberland, drive car home

To shorten it by a day, we (I'm optimistic that someone will want to do this with me :p ) could ride 60 miles a day and stay the first night in Hancock and the second night in Harpers Ferry.

This web site (http://www.bikewashington.org/canal/plan-start.php) has a lot of information about planning a trip. I'm thinking that either spring or fall would be a nice time to do this ride. Nothing's nailed down at all yet, of course.

Sooooo...anybody up for this adventure?

Zen
10-07-2007, 01:25 PM
AHEM!

Any body knows I've mentioned wanting to do this before but being the cheapskate that I am, I want to camp. At least one night. Maybe I could do a section or two with you.
I have always wanted to do end-to-end, though.

The C&O Canal Association does a supported ride but I don't know details.

divingbiker
10-07-2007, 01:37 PM
AHEM!

Any body knows I've mentioned wanting to do this before but being the cheapskate that I am, I want to camp. At least one night. Maybe I could do a section or two with you.
I have always wanted to do end-to-end, though.

The C&O Canal Association does a supported ride but I don't know details.

Well, I'm an old fart and a weenie and I like to have a shower every day and a comfy bed at night. I don't think it makes sense to haul a tent and sleeping bag and cooking gear gear along for just one night of camping, especially if it rains. Tam doesn't like to cook and clean up, so that's her objection to camping.

Soooo...I guess I'll keep an open mind about camping, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Definitely it would have to be a 60 mile/day 3-day trip if I'm going to be skanky the whole time.

DebW
10-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I've been thinking about this trip too, and I'd camp all or most of the way. I've got the right bike, the racks, and front and rear panniers (actually 2 sets of front panniers, since my camping gear is only about 20 lb). There is a campsite about every 5 miles, right? Let me know as plans develop.

divingbiker
10-07-2007, 02:41 PM
So, Deb, do you think that one set of rear panniers (Ortlieb Backrollers) and a handlebar bag would be enough to carry all the gear needed for camping? I assume the sleeping bag, pad, and tent could be strapped on the rear rack.

It really wouldn't take a lot of clothes, I guess, just shorts for each day, something to knock around camp and sleep in, and rain gear just in case.

I'm not really interested in getting a front rack and a second set of panniers, since I don't think I'll be doing self-supported tours. But I guess you never know...

It would be great if you could come on this trip, since you have so much experience outdoors!

Kalidurga
10-07-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd definitely consider the weenie option (what the C&O Association calls the "muffin" option). But I'm not sure how the Georgetown end would work for me, since the closest Amtrak station to me is all the way down in Rockville, so I'd have to figure that out.

Did you look at the Little Orleans Lodge, Janice? Judging from it's location, I'd guess that it's somewhat "primitive".

And I highly recommend the Holiday Inn at Cumberland. That's where I stay for my annual western Md pilgrimage.

DebW
10-07-2007, 03:55 PM
So, Deb, do you think that one set of rear panniers (Ortlieb Backrollers) and a handlebar bag would be enough to carry all the gear needed for camping? I assume the sleeping bag, pad, and tent could be strapped on the rear rack.

Definitely possible if you have a lightweight tent and sleeping bag and can deal with minimal clothing. General goals would be a tent of 3 lb or less, sleeping bag of 2 lb or less, pad of 1 lb or less, stove/pot/eating utensils 1 lb. Panier bags are about 3 lb/set. That's 10 lb, so if everything else (food, water, clothing, first aid, tools, etc) is 10-15 lb total, you'll be in the right ballpark. I've sewn my own tarps and hammocks and made alcohol stoves, so it's possible to do both cheap and lightweight.

Zen
10-08-2007, 05:38 AM
From the Canal Association newsletter:

Bike Rides Scheduled
by Tom Perry
Again this year, we will offer Mini Bike Rides that provide opportunities
to experience bike camping on an introductory basis.
They are designed especially for first-timers but, of course, are
open to any of our other members as well. The first of these is set
for Saturday and Sunday, May 6-7, in the Williamsport area. On
each of these days we will take a leisurely ride.

Bike Rides Scheduled
by Tom Perry
Again this year, we will offer Mini Bike Rides that provide opportunities
to experience bike camping on an introductory basis.
They are designed especially for first-timers but, of course, are
open to any of our other members as well. The first of these is set
for Saturday and Sunday, May 6-7, in the Williamsport area. On
each of these days we will take a leisurely ride. On Saturday evening,
we will camp and be joined by Scott Gordon of the River
City Cycles, Inc., who will demonstrate basic bike maintenance.
The second introductory ride is set for Saturday and Sunday,
July 29-30. We will ride from Hancock to Little Orleans, a
distance of 17 miles. Participants will have a choice of camping
in a tent or staying at a B&B, and we will plan to visit Bill’s Grocery
on Saturday evening. Last October, the governor of Maryland
signed legislation providing for the extension of the Western
Maryland Rail Trail from Pearre to Little Orleans, through the
Indigo Tunnel. As part of our weekend experience, we will check
out progress on this project. On Sunday, we will return to Hancock.
A third Mini Bike Ride is planned for later in the year in
the Harpers Ferry area, and will be announced in a future issue of
Along the Towpath.

The annual 185-mile Through Bike Tour of the Canal is
more than six months away, but we are already announcing it so
that would-be participants can put it on their schedules. It is set
for October 4-9, finishing in Georgetown on Columbus Day
(observed). We accommodate both campers and B&B people,
and provide safety “sweeps” by the Bike Patrol volunteers. Breakfasts
and suppers are taken in very reasonably-priced eating places,
and lunch is whatever each rider chooses to take along for that
day. Participants must provide their own transportation to Cumberland
on Wed., October 4. However, we do engage a shuttle
service to take us back to get our vehicles at the conclusion of the
ride. There is a non-refundable $25 registration fee, and each
rider is required to sign a waiver form.
To register for these very popular rides, or to obtain more
information, please contact Tom Perry, 116 S. Conococheague
St., Williamsport, Md. 21795-1517; phone: 301-223-7010; or email:
leperry@starpower.net.

Kalidurga
10-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Along the Towpath.
The annual 185-mile Through Bike Tour of the Canal is
more than six months away, but we are already announcing it so
that would-be participants can put it on their schedules. It is set
for October 4-9, finishing in Georgetown on Columbus Day
(observed). We accommodate both campers and B&B people,
and provide safety “sweeps” by the Bike Patrol volunteers. Breakfasts
and suppers are taken in very reasonably-priced eating places,
and lunch is whatever each rider chooses to take along for that
day. Participants must provide their own transportation to Cumberland
on Wed., October 4. However, we do engage a shuttle
service to take us back to get our vehicles at the conclusion of the
ride. There is a non-refundable $25 registration fee, and each
rider is required to sign a waiver form.
To register for these very popular rides, or to obtain more
information, please contact Tom Perry, 116 S. Conococheague
St., Williamsport, Md. 21795-1517; phone: 301-223-7010; or email:
leperry@starpower.net.

That's it. They called it the "(something...) & Muffins" ("Muffins" being those folks too "soft" to camp ;) ) ride back when I used to volunteer for the association. Having the shuttle back to Cumberland is a great idea. Would you ladies be interested in joining them, or would you want to make it just a TE ride?

Zen
10-08-2007, 07:39 AM
I'll probably send an email for more info. We can model a ride on theirs or go with them and take advantage of the shuttle.It might be advantageous to go with them for mechanical help, we'll see.

divingbiker
10-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Would you ladies be interested in joining them, or would you want to make it just a TE ride?

Hmmm...depends on how big a group it is. According to the C&O Association calendar, this is the weekend they did the ride this year. So I'm guessing that the folks we saw on Saturday with the BOB trailers might have been the group doing it this year. As I recall, there weren't a whole lot of them, so that would be ok. And October is a nice time of year. And those who want to camp can, and those who want to stay in B&Bs can. So maybe that's an option.

I think it's definitely doable on our own (a friend has said she'd drive up with us and drive my car back home, solving the shuttle problem for 3 of us anyway (can haul 3 bikes on my car)).

Lots of time to think about this...

withm
10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I would be interested in this kind of ride - but does it require fat tires? I guess I'll have to buy a new bike!

Martha

divingbiker
10-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I would be interested in this kind of ride - but does it require fat tires? I guess I'll have to buy a new bike!

Martha

Well, Martha, you couldn't do it on your road bike, but a hybrid or mountain bike would be fine. Great excuse to buy a new bike!

And the more I think about it, I think I'd rather just do a TE ride and not be part of the C&O Association ride. But I'm antisocial like that.

And I think it would be fun to take enough days to do it to soak up a little bit of Civil War history on a few side trips.

withm
10-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Well I've been planning to buy a hybrid for a long time, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I enjoy my road bike too much! Since I can only test ride bikes on weekends - it's a tough decision cause I'd rather just ride my own bike. Then when I'm done, well the thought of test riding then is out the window. This might be the incentive to finally do it.

I'd rather do a small group as well - not with hordes of other cyclists on the path.

7rider
10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Ooo....Can I join?? (or is the group getting too big?)
The hotel/B&B option sounds good to me! I'm such a muffin! ;) I'm not much of a camper, but with the support and coaching of a more experienced group, I'd be game.
But, I do own a tent and a sleeping bag - although none quite meet those weight limits, but my tent is big enough to share, if y'all don't snore, so what I carry, you don't have to, and vice versa!
My mtb can't carry a regular rack, but I'm sure I could put one of those seat-post mounted jobbies on it.

Zen
10-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, I'm an old fart and a weenie

I just noticed that.
I'm just as old of a fart as you are.

And the more I think about it, I think I'd rather just do a TE ride and not be part of the C&O Association ride. But I'm antisocial like that.

See?
That's what happens when you get old - you get cranky :p

DebW
10-08-2007, 05:35 PM

I'd rather do a small group as well - not with hordes of other cyclists on the path.

Ooo....Can I join?? (or is the group getting too big?)

Yup, count me as anti-social too. But what happens when you put too many anti-social people together? :rolleyes:

divingbiker
10-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Yup, count me as anti-social too. But what happens when you put too many anti-social people together? :rolleyes:

Parrrrty!!!!!

Or we retire to our individual tents and read a book by flashlight.

As to the size of the group, the National Park Service web site (http://www.nps.gov/archive/choh/Recreation/Camping.html) says that "a camping unit consists of a non-family group of up to eight people." So I'd say we've got to limit the group to 8 if we're going to camp.

withm
10-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I think we need to hire Bubba to handle the camping part.

Camping is a lot of work for a series of one night stands.

I'd want to do it in the fall since my spring allergies would make it impossible for me at any other time of the year. So if you go in the spring, take notes, and the fall group can reap the benefits of your experience. That or take our princess muffins to the motels and have hot showers and comfy beds each night.

Zen
10-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I think we need to hire Bubba to handle the camping part.

Camping is a lot of work for a series of one night stands.

As in provide support? Carry and set up and stuff? Cool!

I like fall, too. spring weather can be tricky.

HillSlugger
10-09-2007, 07:27 AM
I've been lurking on this thread. Not sure if I'd be able to swing this, but I want to stay in the loop as it moves forward.

divingbiker
10-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Well, I'm an old fart and a weenie and I like to have a shower every day and a comfy bed at night.

OK, I know I'm quoting myself but I made a lot of sense. What the hell was I thinking? There's no way I'm going to camp. I'm going to be a muffin, too.

One of my coworkers has done the C&O ride several times, so when he gets back in the office in a week or so I'll ask him about the logistics.

Zen
10-09-2007, 06:22 PM
I like to stink. Keeps the bugs away:p

7rider
10-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Janice. You're my hero. Always the voice of reason.

DebW
10-10-2007, 04:53 AM

I've never noticed that. But sometimes I've kept myself awake at night.

divingbiker
10-10-2007, 12:57 PM

I've never noticed that. But sometimes I've kept myself awake at night.

I guess after day 2 the muffins will be riding in front of Zen and Deb. :p

DebW
10-10-2007, 04:45 PM

You better figure out which way the wind is blowing before you decide that. We campers could always do sponge baths. And I may stop at a laundromat after 4 or 5 days, when I can't stand myself any longer.

Kalidurga
10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
There's always a swim in the river, if y'all get really stanky.

Zen
10-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Yeah, well when the skeeters and gnats are driving you crazy don't come cryin' to me :p
Oh, this is gonna be fun.

divingbiker
01-01-2008, 06:18 AM
OK, ladies, it's a new year and that means it's time for me to start planning vacations. (This may seem a bit anal, but I do love planning vacations and I love working out all the details.)

I've been thinking a bit more about this C&O trip, and looking again at the lodging options, and I think the itinerary I laid out in the first post seems like a reasonable one:

Day 0 Drive to Cumberland, stay at the Holiday Inn
Day 4 Harpers Ferry to Georgetown 60.7 miles, metro home and stay our own beds

(Day 4 is a long one, but the only option between Harpers Ferry and DC is Leesburg, which would make Day 4 25 miles and Day 5 35 miles. I'm open to that if 60 miles is too long a day. Or any other suggestions anyone has.)

Logistically, I think the best way might be to enlist a couple of shuttle drivers who will bring our cars back after taking us to Cumberland. That way, we don't face that long drive or train ride to retrieve cars at the end.

I can fit 3-4 riders and bikes in my car, plus the shuttle driver (my neighbor has volunteered for this duty.) I have racks for 3 bikes, 4 if I use my old trunk rack instead of my nice hitch rack. If DebW comes, she could leave her bike in the suitcase until we get to Cumberland so it would easily fit in the back of my car (a station wagon.)

If we have more than 4 people who want to do this, we'd have to round up a second shuttle driver (Regina, would Tom be willing?:))

I think we could gather several folks at my place or Regina's, then head up 270 and pick up Tam (maybe Zen could be there also), then head up to Cumberland and get this party started. At the end of the trip, we could metro to my house and I could drive people back to their starting points.

Whew.

As far as timing, I think the consensus was that fall was better than spring, allergy- and weather-wise. So I'd say we should shoot for a Friday-Tuesday:

September 19-23
September 26-30
October 3-7
October 10-14 (this would take advantage of a holiday, for us working folks)
October 17-21

(The last day, we'd have to get an early start so we could be on the Metro before 4, since bikes aren't allowed during rush hour. Alternatively, we could plan the trip for Wednesday-Sunday, since there's no restriction on the metro on weekends.)

The later into the fall we get, the harder it will be to get reservations, due to the fall foliage crowd. Also, I'm seriously considering doing a bike tour in Hawaii in November with Womantours, so earlier would be better for me, but I could work with any of these dates.

OK, I know that this is way too much information, but I wanted to get us started thinking about it again. When are you all comfortable about nailing down a date, so that we can check out motel availability?

Happy New Year, everyone!

susan.wells
01-01-2008, 07:31 AM
I did this route last year (self-supported) as part of the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.greatalleghenypassage.org/). We began in Boston, PA. My girlfirend & I did it over a 5 day period averaging about 60-65 miles per day. For the C&O canal (http://bikewashington.org/canal/) portion, we stayed in Cumberland (Holiday Inn), Hancock (Super 8?), and Harper's Ferry (Historic Hilltop House Hotel (http://www.hilltophousehotel.com/)). It was a great ride. Enjoy!

7rider
01-01-2008, 09:30 AM
I'd vote against Columbus Day weekend, as that's usually the Seagull Century weekend. I'd also vote for the WED-SUN option, as that seems to mess up only one work week (for some of us, at any rate) and allows us some recovery time on Sunday (perhaps) before diving back into reality.

I think I can recruit Tom to serve as shuttle driver. My Escape, with the roof rack on, can also carry four bikes and four riders (plus Tom or other shuttle driver).

Of course, Janice...if you and I are doing this the civilized way, you realize we'll have to be riding at the front of this train, less we get bowled over by the sheer...um....potent naturalness?...of those behind us!!! :D

divingbiker
01-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Of course, Janice...if you and I are doing this the civilized way, you realize we'll have to be riding at the front of this train, less we get bowled over by the sheer...um....potent naturalness?...of those behind us!!! :D

I think DebW pointed out that we need to check the wind direction before deciding whether to ride ahead of or behind the campers. :)

Did you get out and ride today? What a gorgeous day...I just did a quick trip to the bank, but it was beautiful!

HillSlugger
01-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Regina,

If I got the calendar correct, this year the Seagull Century is the weekend before Columbus Day weekend. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Zen
01-01-2008, 11:51 AM
I like the Columbus Day/Leesburg option. sixty some miles is a long ride for me.

I might could enlist some help from the Frederick Pedalers with shuttling to Cumberland or with equipment.

Velobambina
01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Hmmmm. This sounds like fun.

Are those hotels pet friendly? If so, I probably could convince my husband to come along or we could take the girls to an excellent dog "resort" in Ortanna, PA (reasonable distance from Cumberland and one of the only places I'd trust w/my girls). My husband might be able to help with shuttle duties.

I'm up for the shorter (Leesburg) ride, as well. Why not both?

Zen
01-01-2008, 12:04 PM
And while you're in Ortanna you can eat (all you can eat) at Hickory Bridge.
Gggglllllllaaaaahhhhhggggg.....

divingbiker
01-01-2008, 12:52 PM
OK, so it looks like this is where we are right now:

Day 0 Drive to Cumberland, stay at the Holiday Inn
Day 4 Harpers Ferry to Leesburg, 25.2 miles, stay at the Best Western
Day 5 Leesburg to Georgetown 35.5 miles, metro home and stay our own beds

Since we're talking 6 days now, should we start on a Sunday and end on a Friday, or start on a Monday and end on a Saturday, so we have the weekend to get back to our normal routines? Or start on Tuesday, October 7 (just a couple of days after the Seagull) and end on Sunday, October 12, with Columbus Day as our recovery day?

Velobambina, I don't know about the dog-friendliness of the hotels, but you can check it out. They're all on the list at the bottom of this page (http://bikewashington.org/canal/plan-lodging.php).

7rider
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Okay...
I'm getting major security willies here.
Can we make the final decisions about where and when off line - via PM or (better, due to that persistent "reply all" problem) email?
Let's agree - Fall 5 day C&O Ride - some to camp, some to hotel it.
Perhaps, we can all meet (con call in our out of state friends and those who can't make it) and discuss logistics.
I know...I"m being paranoid.
Thoughts?

divingbiker
01-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Okay...
I'm getting major security willies here.
Can we make the final decisions about where and when off line - via PM or (better, due to that persistent "reply all" problem) email?
Let's agree - Fall 5 day C&O Ride - some to camp, some to hotel it.
Perhaps, we can all meet (con call in our out of state friends and those who can't make it) and discuss logistics.
I know...I"m being paranoid.
Thoughts?

I'm not sure how that will work, but maybe you can take the lead in making it happen.

Zen
01-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I have started a group for planning and discussion purposes.
PM me your email addy and I will evite you to join.

Velobambina
01-02-2008, 03:35 AM
Is there shoo fly pie at the Hickory Bridge? That alone will convince my husband to help out. :D

Kalidurga
01-02-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm going to have to pass on this trip, ladies. I've been invited to stay with a friend near Seattle at the end of July and I unfortunately don't have enough vacation time for both.

But, depending on where you are on what day of the week, maybe I could drive out and join you for part of the ride :D

Oh, and a suggestion for the Harper's Ferry to Leesburg stretch: Ride to White's Ferry and take the ferry across the river. Do not cross the river at Point of Rocks to follow Route 15 all the way down to Leesburg. Route 15's known for lots of accidents. The short stretch from the ferry into Leesburg will be sketchy enough.

divingbiker
01-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm going to have to pass on this trip, ladies. I've been invited to stay with a friend near Seattle at the end of July and I unfortunately don't have enough vacation time for both.

But, depending on where you are on what day of the week, maybe I could drive out and join you for part of the ride :D

It won't be the same without you, Tam! But I know how it is making the vacation time stretch as far as possible.

Definitely you'll have to join us on one of the days.

Zen
01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm going to have to pass on this trip, ladies.

WEENIE!

Kalidurga
01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
WEENIE!

Um... How so, Slo-Mo? Let's see: 6 days riding an area that I absolutely love but have been riding in for close to 15 years now vs. 6 days in a place that I've never been but have been dreaming of visiting for close to 15 years...

If my decision makes me a weenie, then I'll embrace that title with gusto :rolleyes: :D

Zen
01-03-2008, 06:42 PM
I have set up this yahoo group to be as secure as possible.

You have to pm me your email addy then I will send you an invite to join. I can't just add you to the group.

I have sent out some invites already with one person joining so far.

Check your junk/spam folder.

This is for everyone involved, even weenies who might only join us for a day or so.

Thank you for your time. You may now return to your regularly scheduled activities.

divingbiker
01-04-2008, 01:24 AM
I have set up this yahoo group to be as secure as possible.

You have to pm me your email addy then I will send you an invite to join. I can't just add you to the group.

I have sent out some invites already with one person joining so far.

Check your junk/spam folder.

This is for everyone involved, even weenies who might only join us for a day or so.

Thank you for your time. You may now return to your regularly scheduled activities.

Thanks, Zen! I just joined the group. Let's wait until we have critical mass and then start the planning.

I've got a different ID on yahoo since divingbiker was taken.

7rider
01-04-2008, 03:07 AM
It was in my spam folder!
All signed up.
Thanks for doing this, Zen.

amithereyet
01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
This old weenie would like to ride at least part of the way. I'm quite sure that I will need help selecting the appropriate gear and finding the appropriate energy source.

My only problem: Living on the Eastern Shore of Md has tuned my legs to the flats. Any hope for an old flatlander on this trip?

Kalidurga
01-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Actually, amithereyet (great name, btw), the C&O Canal towpath is entirely flat. There are a few short rises at some of the locks, but the total elevation over 184.5 miles is less than 200 feet. It's a tad rugged, what with rocks, gravel, tree roots, and holes, but other than that a very easy, enjoyable ride. This site's (http://bikewashington.org/canal/) a great resource for more info.

Oh, and I have the very cool "On the Canal (http://www.onthecanal.org/)" dvd if anyone's interested in borrowing it before the big trip.

Zen
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
So now you're an all-around weenie :D

I want to take a quick head count and I don't want to do it here. If anyone hasn't sent me their email address yet please do so.

Thank you

(Can I still say weenie?)

withm
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm looking at hybrids now. I'm liking the Trek 7300, which can be fitted out with racks and stuff. It comes with 35mm tires - will they be suitable for the canal ride?

I'm also wanting to try a Trek Portland, and a Trek FX 7.6. These are 3 very different price points, and actually I'll probably end up buying 2 bikes. One hybrid to use to do the errands, and maybe some groceries. Short trips but carrying stuff. I'll keep using my Pilot for long rides and commuting to work (only once a week or so, but it 's a start). Then I'm thinking of either the Portland or the FX to leave at the summer house so I don't have to haul bikes on 700 mile road trips. I do some long rides, and have to deal with dirt roads on occasion up there so wondering of the 28mm tires on the Portland will work out. But since I would often do 30-40 mile rides, wanted the drop bars.

This must be what its like to be addicted to drugs. Gotta have a new bike!

withm
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
This old weenie would like to ride at least part of the way. I'm quite sure that I will need help selecting the appropriate gear and finding the appropriate energy source.

My only problem: Living on the Eastern Shore of Md has tuned my legs to the flats. Any hope for an old flatlander on this trip?

Hey if you live on Eastern Shore - let's meet up somewhere in the middle for a ride? Or meet me in Cambridge to preview the Blackwater ride and amenities? I want to get over there next weekend. I'm in lower slower Delaware. Can you believe they sell those white ovals for your back window that say "LSD?"

PM me if you are interested
Martha

Zen
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Heehee.
I've been looking at bikes too.
That Portland is very pretty with the brown seat and bar tape.
It has flat bars though, doesn't it?
That just won't do.

withm
01-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Heehee.
That just won't do.

No, here's the Portland - with drop bars
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/portland/portland/

It's more like a road bike, has 28C tires - I suppose you could put bigger.
THere is a pic of a really nice red one over on Bike Journal taken in the snow w/ racks and fenders. I am in love with the red one. It's in the "ice bike" thread, and the poster is brucew if that helps. Maybe in the first 3-4 pages of posts on that thread. I think it's his commuter, and his profile says he's been car free for xxx years..... I covet that bike. Got to find a store that's even open here at this time of year who has one that I can try.

withm
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Heehee.
That just won't do.

The FX 7.6 has flat bar. I rode it last year but thought it was too much $ to be the errand bike, and with flat bars not good for long rides, so using it to commute I didn't think I'd like that (13 miles one way), and last year it was a double, but I see this year they offer it with a triple. I like triples..... decisions decisions

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/fx/76fx/

Last year's model was red.... sigh.

withm
01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
And finally we have the 7300

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/7000_series/7300/

I think it will be perfect to run to the post office every day, bank, drugstore, grocery. And it won't mind a dirt road or a little sand now and then. Was thinking I'd just put toe clips on it, then I could ride it wearing whatever shoes I had on. But would I want to ride it down the Canal? That is the question. I'd put bar ends on it I think.

I rode a hybrid on my trip last year and I expected to hate it, but the bikes that the company supplied were really top rate. After a week of those, when I came home to my Pilot I felt like I had to learn to ride all over again. :)

Zen
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Just looked at that Portland again, it does have drop bars. And disc brakes. Unfortunately for me, it's cost prohibitive.
i really like the looks of it.

withm
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Just looked at that Portland again, it does have drop bars. And disc brakes. Unfortunately for me, it's cost prohibitive.
i really like the looks of it.

$igh. There i$ that problem.....

7rider
01-08-2008, 05:05 AM
Withm...Here's a good beach bike for you on the Eastern Shore: http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bik/527350339.html

Kalidurga
01-08-2008, 06:27 AM
I ride the C&O on a 'cross bike (drop bars) with either 30c cyclocross tires or 32c semi-slicks that have just a little tread on the sides. Both do just fine, you really don't need to worry about having full-on mtb tires. The main thing is to have enough tread to handle any muddy or gravelly areas you may hit, and to have some cushioning for all the vibration.

Bar ends are definitely a good idea if you do flat bars, though. When I used to ride on my old mtb/hybrid, installing bar ends made a huge difference in increasing my comfort on the towpath.

withm
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Withm...Here's a good beach bike for you on the Eastern Shore: http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bik/527350339.html

Wow - that's close enough to go and try it, but I'm wavering between the 17 and 20" frames, and well the WSD model is just a little too cute for me I'm afraid. But it's good to know that they are out there.

I felt kind of scrunched up on the regular Trek 7300 in the 17" frame, so tried a 20" in a slightly different model - where I was more stretched out. Seemed more comfortable, but I only rode each one about 5 miles or so. I was liking the 20"

But here's the killer: I got back on my road bike to go home, and there I was all scrunched up again, and now wondering if my frame is a smidge too small. So... the next day I went out and did about 24 miles or so, and raised the seat about 1/4 inch. All was well. But the next morning when I got up my lower back was in spasm and it was all I could do to get out of bed. When I got dresseed I could barely bend over to put my socks on. Copious amounts of Advil and 4 hours of sitting at work perfectly straight and I was fine, but what happened? Now maybe I should put the seat down again, but maybe move it back just a tad, or do something with the bars. Just when I think everything is perfect on my bike I go and mess it up.... lol.

Zen
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Not all WSD bikes have little flowers on them. it may be just what you need.

And a definite yes to bar ends.

Cyclesome
01-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Please keep me in the loop of your plans. Since I teach, Summer would be a better time for me, but Fall is not totally out of the question. I perfer B&B as well and have been considering the trip for some time. Good luck with your panning.

seizethebay
01-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi all, just joined the forum and lo and behold the trip of my dreams is being discussed. Still have room? I too am a school person so summer works for me.

Zen
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I guess I have to say this.

Most of us have been here a while and most of us have ridden together at least once.
Because of the nature of the trip we have to be careful who we share information with. No itinerary will be discussed on this forum.

Get to know us, let us get to know you. Ride with one or two of us over the summer. We (me anway) mainly want to know that you're really a female :p
I think we still have one or two spaces.

seizethebay
01-24-2008, 01:44 AM
I appreciate the honest feedback. I have done a couple trips back in the younger day out west and after a week with one who did not fit in..... we were all ready to flatten her tires and leave her behind. :D
Maybe we can connect during the Goose ride. I am also doing the MS150 in June.
Right now my bike is in storage as I am in the process of moving. I am chomping at the bit as indoor spinning does not cut it. Come on Spring!

Kalidurga
01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
We (me anway) mainly want to know that you're really a female :p

I seem to recall you looking for a man last summer. Are you sure you want to make this ride female-only? ;)

And, y'know, you're running the risk of offending any trans-gender folks out there.

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Zen
01-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, yeah but I'm only looking for a man for about an hour or so ;)

As for transgender, that's cool with me.
As long as the transgenderee ends up sans penis.

7rider
01-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Geez.
Ya got me hummin' this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1ndX-_zws)now.
:rolleyes:

Kalidurga
01-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, yeah but I'm only looking for a man for about an hour or so ;)

If you can find a man who can last... ;);)

Sorry, I'm bored at work today :rolleyes: My apologies for the thread drift, and to any of our forum gentlemen who may read this.

HillSlugger
01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Better watch this thread drift or it could get censored like the BJ thread ;)

Kalidurga
01-25-2008, 10:13 AM

I missed that whole thing. All I saw was mention of a thread that had been deleted or something. Thanks for the warning!

Zen
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
we're lucky we can still call ourselves 'weenies".:p

IFjane
01-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Ok, I've been lurking - did you say this to draw me out? :D

Really - though the Bike Journal (I said I wasn't going to use any more abbreviations!) thread was WONDERULand HYSTERICAL, I really really really said it unintentionally....

Regarding the subject of this thread: I would LOVE to join you ladies but, alas, I don't have anything but a road bike. Maybe when the economy cranks back up a bit I will afford a cross bike or something like that and I will join you on another trip.....:(

divingbiker
01-26-2008, 07:16 PM
I would LOVE to join you ladies but, alas, I don't have anything but a road bike.

Well, heck, lack of a bike is no reason not to join us. I've got a mountain bike you can ride. (I'll probably take my new Xtracycle on the C&O ride, since it's going to be so darned cool.)

Zen
01-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Right now it looks like I'll be riding my old hard tail Haro.
I have been thinking about a used MTB with some suspension, tho. Something cheap.

7rider
01-27-2008, 04:39 AM
Well, heck, lack of a bike is no reason not to join us. I've got a mountain bike you can ride. (I'll probably take my new Xtracycle on the C&O ride, since it's going to be so darned cool.)

Cool!!!
Janice just volunteered to carry the lion's share of the s**t in this trip!! :D;)

Seriously, tho', you've got to keep us posted on progress on the Xtracycle! That is so wild.

divingbiker
01-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Cool!!!
Janice just volunteered to carry the lion's share of the s**t in this trip!! :D;)

Seriously, tho', you've got to keep us posted on progress on the Xtracycle! That is so wild.

I saw it yesterday at the shop, and it is so cool. I ordered albatross bars and bar end shifters for it from Rivendell, so I'm leaving the bike at the shop until they come in and can be installed. Too bad I forgot to take my camera. (I don't have a way to transport it on my car, so I have to ride it home.) I think it will be done after I get back from vacation.

Re hauling s**t on the C&O trip, you betcha! As long as you guys wait for me to catch up, I'm happy to...that's what this baby is for, after all! If we can figure out a way to take ice along (this (http://www.xtracycle.com/sub-cooler-p-64.html?osCsid=c61428751abed8f68d95927a2ec68543) is an option), I can borrow the bike shop's Xtracycle blender and we can make smoothies along the way, too!

7rider
01-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Re hauling s**t on the C&O trip, you betcha! As long as you guys wait for me to catch up, I'm happy to...that's what this baby is for, after all! If we can figure out a way to take ice along (this (http://www.xtracycle.com/sub-cooler-p-64.html?osCsid=c61428751abed8f68d95927a2ec68543) is an option), I can borrow the bike shop's Xtracycle blender and we can make smoothies along the way, too!

Excellent!
Bring along this bad boy (http://www.rei.com/product/684259), too, and we will have quite an adventure!! :D

Oh...and for those of us staying in B&B's or other options...we should be able to load up with ice on a daily basis! WooHoo!

IFjane
01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Well, heck, lack of a bike is no reason not to join us. I've got a mountain bike you can ride.

Thank you Janice!

I am assuming the ride is soon - and I cannot be away from work at all between now and early May (except for 2 days in April in preparation for my wedding :D )

But I would love a rain check - especially if I have not been able to snag another bike by then!

divingbiker
01-27-2008, 05:05 PM
I am assuming the ride is soon - and I cannot be away from work at all between now and early May (except for 2 days in April in preparation for my wedding :D )

Nah, we're not doing the C&O ride until the fall. Join us if you can!

Zen
01-27-2008, 05:15 PM
If you get Adventure Cycling Magazine there's a great cover shot of cyclists coming out of the Paw Paw Tunnel.

withm
01-27-2008, 05:37 PM
If you get Adventure Cycling Magazine there's a great cover shot of cyclists coming out of the Paw Paw Tunnel.

I saw that.... wish there had been more on C&O. A friend of mine here did the C&O last year. I told him I did want to talk more about it with him but I don't think he rides in winter. I will hit him up for info eventually.

Did you read the article about the guy doing the Canning route in Australia!?!?!? Yikes! He planned a 1200 mile trip through desert and carried only enough food to provide 1300 calories a day. Then he goes on to say he was very weak by the end of the trip, and oh, by the way, lost 40 pounds to boot. I suspect he was lucky to have survived it at all. And holy moly - the pix of snakes curled around his pedals - that would have freaked me out big time!

Zen
02-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I haven't finished the magazine yet but I'll get to it once I finish Bicycling.

It occurred to me that it might rain on this trip.
I'm OK on top but what about the bottom?

divingbiker
02-02-2008, 02:35 AM
It occurred to me that it might rain on this trip.
I'm OK on top but what about the bottom?

If it's warm, I don't worry about rain on my legs. If it's cooler, tights are fine. I'm not a big fan of rain pants, since they get so hot.

I'm off tomorrow for a week in the Caribbean, but when I get back I'd like to start trying to nail down dates for this trip. My pet sitter is already booking up, and I need to get my reservation in, or else there's no trip for me...

7rider
02-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Sweet! Have a fun trip!

Zen
02-03-2008, 05:15 PM
with these (http://www.harlotwear.com/scarletxknicker.htm)

divingbiker
02-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Hey all, would it be ok if we nailed down some dates for this, over on the Yahoo groups thing that Zen set up? If you're interested in the ride, but haven't joined that group, PM Zen.

The urgency for me is that my dog sitter takes a 2-3 week vacation in October, but she said she'd work around my schedule if I could let her know what it is before she makes her plans.

I'll figure out some date options and send them through Yahoo.

Zen
02-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I have to get ready for work right now but will get back to you all later at the group site.
I'm leaning toward #3 on the list of dates.

Zen
02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
if you don't get emails from that site.
Right now it looks like only three of us are going on this trip!:mad:!:mad:!

HillSlugger
02-28-2008, 05:40 AM
I may be able to do a one day ride with you, but I have not received any info about the Yahoo group. Can I join?

divingbiker
02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
I may be able to do a one day ride with you, but I have not received any info about the Yahoo group. Can I join?

Just PM your email address to zen and she'll add you to the group.

Zen
02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
i may have inadvertently missed sending some invites.
If you haven't gotten one, PM me with the heading "Invite Addy"

Thanks!