PDA

View Full Version : What to wear??

helena
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, where it gets rather chilly over winter ... last winter I commuted every day to as low as -44, but I only had 2 miles to go. Now I live 6 miles away which takes me just under 30 minutes in the summer, but will be much longer in the winter when the snow falls and the oil freezes....

Any advice on what to wear? I have Pogies for my hands and my face and upper body are generally ok with a windproof shell and some wool thermals...but my toes in particular get cold, and so does my backside.

Are bibs the answer? Any in particular?

Helena

Voodoo Sally
10-04-2007, 01:42 PM
:eek: ! Girl, you're in a class by yourself! Seriously, I don't know how to dress for riding in such extreme cold. But the Iditabike racers probably know. I watched that on TV. Maybe there's a way you can find out what they wear.

Actually, I know something. The long-sleeved Craft undershirts come way down the butt, which I find keeps my butt pretty warm, when tucked into my tights. I wear some older models, in men's sizes. Don't know if the current models are the same long length. Neoprene booties work for me, but in your case, I'm thinking Sorel pac boots with cleats self-installed might work better. ;)

lisascenic
10-04-2007, 03:24 PM
I'll remind myself of your commute if I ever notice myself griping about being cold.

pll
10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
:eek:

Wow, my helmet off to you!

A long time ago I found this site, which has advice for really cold weather riding: http://www.icebike.org/

northstar
10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I commuted every day to as low as -44

Holy Hannah! I think you should be writing the book on this one! :eek:

You, dear, are a trooper! :)

Sheesh
10-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I went to college in Fairbanks, and though I know others commuted by bike all winter long, I never would have done that! You are truly amazing! I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions other than layers, layers, and more layers. I found that running apparel can be found on clearance for less than cycling apparel so I buy that and wear it as my base layer.

What about some wool boxers under shorts? Or, shorts under tights? You may already be doing that...

Jenerator
10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Have you been to Apocalypse Design (http://www.akgear.com/index.htm) to see what they could sew up for you for your feet?

http://www.akgear.com/hikingoverboots.jpg

kfergos
10-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Wow. You truly are in a class all by yourself. I thought that I was pretty hardcore to ride in 10-degree weather last winter in Massachusetts, but after that I really couldn't take it. Kudos for sticking it out -- you are amazing!

Clothing-wise, I never found a good way to keep my feet from freezing, even in the teens. I talked to one guy who says he wears nylon toe-covers (inside his shoes, although these (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=28204) look like what he was talking about) that keep his feet really warm. I ended up wearing lots of pairs of thick socks. My butt always stays warm because I have a Timbuk2 bag that sits right there, so I'm afraid I can't help you there, except to say that lots of layers of pants have never gone amiss for me in the extreme cold.

helena
10-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the pointers ... have had to add a wind proof layer on my bottom half which works for now, but am still looking for suggestions (I slide around on the seat too much now)

Also - any advice on how to go about getting the snow plough people to scrape the bike paths? "no motorised vehicles" evidently doesn't include snow machines....

Helena

BleeckerSt_Girl
10-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Helena,

Do you have to do clipless for a 6 mile commute? I'm thinking you should just use regular pedals during the extreme winter. I usually keep pretty warm riding with heavy insulated hiking/snow boots and 2 pair of thick wool socks.

Many towns have small snow removal machines (ride-on, like lawn tractors, with enclosed mini-cabs) that are made for cleaning snow off sidewalks- maybe ask your town if they have those?

lph
10-24-2007, 11:48 PM
At -44 I'd lose my will to live.

Seriously, does your bike even work at temperatures that low? Mine starts getting real cranky at about 5 deg F. But I haven't really "winterized" it, like the icebike site suggests. We get more of the slushy-like winters.

onimity
10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Also - any advice on how to go about getting the snow plough people to scrape the bike paths? "no motorised vehicles" evidently doesn't include snow machines....

I have to say first of all that you are really amazing to commute by bike in that kind of weather. Amazing.

As far as getting them to plow the paths, it may be as simple as making someone aware that it is important. City council, county maintenance folks, not sure who could help with that. I'd try to get a local bike advocacy group behind it, personally. Here bike paths technically have first priority for plowing, I think, but the reality is that we're still faced with dangerous conditions when things melt or blow. We have a lot of local cycling advocates, but it turns out that most of them are fair weather cyclists when it comes to getting behind something like plowing. But you might find others in your same boat, too.

Any chances you'd post pictures of your commute/bike setup?

Anne

cricketk
10-31-2007, 11:07 PM
I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, where it gets rather chilly over winter ... last winter I commuted every day to as low as -44, b

Dear God!

I turn into a whiny ***** about the cold at about 8 degrees celcius.

I expect over the daylight savings period this summer some commutes will be in around 40 degrees celcius.

I don't know how you folks who get both the hot and the cold cope with it.

pinkychique
11-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Wow I am seriously impressed!!! :eek:

My only suggestion for your feet/hands is to get hand warmers, either the little packets that you can get from mountaineering stores, or, my mom and I have figured out that we can make small fabric cotton (make sure no synthetic fabrics as they tend to melt in the microwave) "pillows" about 2.5X3 inches filled with rice that you can put in the microwave and stick in your shoes(on top of your feet)/gloves for a reuseable warming method. That way you don't use up the 8 hour heat ones for just a 30 minute commute, at least that's about my commute, hopefully yours isn't longer than that :eek:

again, I'm amazingly impressed. I get cranky when it gets to 20 deg's out, but that's the desert for you.

Geonz
11-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Coldest I've commuted is 2 below (F) for my seven miles. 44 below is so cold that it's a higher number than the same Celsius... wow :)

I brought hand warmers in case something happened and I had to be out longer or fix something. Haven't used 'em yet. Ski goggles and balaclava. Four layers was enough ... two pairs of socks and my "winter squall" shoes (I *think* - I might have worn my duckboots from LL Bean), but my hands and feet are *much* better than most folks' with cold. Gloves were some cannondale full-finger gloves with some novelty Christmas gloves on top.

I figured out that it takes between 7 and 11 minutes for my inner furnace to kick in, at which point I can usually keep the warm going out as fast as the cold is coming in (for that 35-40 minutes). Between the three minutes it takes for the cold to penetrate the 3-4 layers (thermal underwear, tights, sweats and my Gore-Tex rainsuit) and that kick-in my hands will hurt and I'll be cold, except when I've planned properly and do 7 or 8 minutes of something ferociously aerobic before I walk out the door, so the furnace is rolling already.

I have a big fat winter coat that I can't even find because it's just too warm for anything a bove zero if I'm riding, and here in sultry Illinois it doesn't get there that often during the day.

I was rather surprised at how cold I *didn't* get when riding. MOtorcycles... they're cold@!@@ But I didn't want to go without the hand warmers because at that temp it's physically dangerous to be out in it.

DebW
11-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I have a friend who used to live in Fairbanks and biked through the winter. He said that when his feet got cold biking, he would get off the bike and run for awhile. That may be something that would only work for him. :rolleyes:

Tri Girl
11-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Everyone has said some great things, and I have nothing to add.
Just wanted to tell you that you're a monster stud. I didn't want to commute this week because the morning temp. was 39 F. Yes- I'm a cold weenie. Doesn't help that when it drops below 70F I get out blankets and pants.
You're amazing!!!

invsblwmn
11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
1. you are NUTS!
2. i worship the ground you ride on

i love smart wool socks, maybe a couple pair for you, i wear neoprene toe covers over them, under my shoes, then neoprene booties. another six layers and you should be fine. for the legs i like under armour cold gear (two pair for you) then pearl gavia pants for the top layer :D you have to look like the michelin man but you gotta ride! wtg.

Geonz
11-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Right this second www.steepandcheap.com has pink ski goggles up (for smaller faces which I have, but I arleady have goggles from when this happened last year, tho' they aren't pink).

madscot13
11-06-2007, 02:48 PM
i guess one thing you can think about is that your body is actually warmed up when you are riding as compared to warming up. Minnesota winters can't compare to what you have but I would dress differnetly if I was biking for 1 mile versus 7. With 7 I wanted to be able to take off layers. Also I second googles in the cold weather especially if you have any downhills. I used to cry on the first slope!

helena
11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for some great suggestions - I love the home made handwarmers! I'm trying to stay away from the hand and toe-warmers that you buy because they're not reusible and I'm a bit of an enviroment nut ...

Wool socks are definitely the way to go, footwear will become challenging in a month or so when it gets to around -20F since the cold weather sorel boots have such wide soles they don't fit on pedals .... am thinking of mukluks although they might even be too warm

Still looking for ways to keep my *** and legs warm though

I'm riding on the roads now, since I live outside city limits for the bike path plowing people I think, but the road is ok, believe it or not once it gets significantly below freezing the roads aren't so slippy any more because the thin layer of water that makes ice slidy can't form. Will just stick with plenty of lights and reflective strips

I'll post a photo when I get some good icicles on my eyelashes :)

OakLeaf
11-08-2007, 07:54 AM
You might want to try some of the microwaveable hand and foot warmers also... not very green in the manufacture, but at least they're reusable.

I am in awe. I lived two years in North Dakota, so I know what 40 below is like... it's like, I never want to experience it again! You rock.

invsblwmn
11-08-2007, 05:00 PM
i wear panoptix glasses from sierra trading post (foam eye cups keep the wind and cold out) and an underarmour mask with another full face mask over it under my helmet. a co worker said i looked like a misguided superhero in my winter biking "oufit." no skin left uncovered, only way to go.:cool:

MomOnBike
11-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Nerdy science factoid of the day:

-40 is where Centigrade and Farenheit are cross. That is they are the same temp.

I've lived where it gets that cold, and I'd be worried about frostbite on the face. I miss good, honest cold - but that's a rant for another day.

Toe or foot-covers? Wear shoes that are a size or two large and several pair of socks? (I'm serious here) A plastic bag over each shoe to keep down wind infiltration? You'd make fashion model of the year with that!

lph
11-09-2007, 04:42 AM
i wear panoptix glasses from sierra trading post (foam eye cups keep the wind and cold out) and an underarmour mask with another full face mask over it under my helmet. a co worker said i looked like a misguided superhero in my winter biking "oufit." no skin left uncovered, only way to go.:cool:

I think it was on bikejournal I read something like this:

"You haven't lived 'til you ride up next to a car waiting at an intersection wearing full winter gear, face mask and goggles, and hear the THWUNK of all the door locks in a large SUV engaging simultaneously." Still cracks me up :D

RedCanny
11-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Helena, My hat's off to you. Wow. And I have no advice that hasn't been given. Other than: maybe you could try studded tires, to deal with the snowplow's ignorance of the bike lane. :)

What you wrote intrigues me:

...I have Pogies for my hands and my face...
Helena

Before your post, I'd never heard of pogies, but Google has enlightened me, and I think that may solve my cold fingers problem, on my commute. What brand do you use/where did you get them? I commute on a Trek hybrid, with wide/mostly straight bars.

helena
11-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm trying ski goggles this year for my eyes, but they're only really necessary below -20F and it hasn't got that low yet, but I like the styrofoam idea - that won't get cold either

As for pogies - the ones I've seen are made mostly in Alaska, mine are Dogwood design and fit over my mountain bike even with the extra bull bars [I don't know what they're called but the bars that stick up vertically from the crossbar (for going uphill?)] and they're pretty roomy, otherwise Apocalypse Design http://www.akgear.com/hats-mitts.html make them too. I've seen homemade pogies made out of hoods from jackets... My hands get way too hot in them above -5C/25F so be warned

The studded tyres I have work really well for ice but for snow the wide rim wheels are better as they give a bigger surface area (and are mostly good for fluffy new snow) - the problem with the bike paths is that the snow has been packed down and is incredibly bumpy, they now need to scrape rather than plow

Cycling with in the dark and snow with the northern lights flickering overhead is incredible - I love it

Pangie
11-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I noticed this thread's about a year old, but I was hoping Helena would be able to gives some feedback on how last winter went! I'm in Fargo, ND, don'chaknow, and I'm just starting to bike. There's really nowhere I go that's more than 1 mile away (mall, Target, grocery store, work) so I don't have a monster of a ride anywhere, but it's gonna be cold. I have a great hat, face mask, and gloves, and I think my boots will be good, but I'm wondering about a jacket and if I should be pulling out the ol' snow pants or something.