PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Woman's Cylocross Bike!

awats
10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi there,
I am a new rider, looking for a good cylocross bike for both exercise and possibly racing in the future. Any ideas on a good brand or bike out there? How do I find the right bike fit for me? I'm medium sized, 5'7'', and looking for something in the price range of $1000-$1500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Gowest
10-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Personally - I don't know of any women's specific cross bikes. All of my bikes are "guy bikes" I like Ridley cyclocross bikes - check out their web site - and possibly your local dealer. Make sure you get the right size - size matters!!!;)

debi

Sheesh
10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Redline seems to offer a great bike at a really good price. I recently bought the Redline Conquest Pro (MSRP $1600, but I got a team discount from our LBS because my husbands on the shop-sponsored team), and they have less expensive more entry-level bikes available, too.

I would recommend going to your LBS and trying a few cross bikes to see what you like and what fits you best.

cycling_sarah
10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I just got a Cannondale X6 and have only done 3 rides/75 miles on it so far, but I love it! It's in your price range too.

Good luck in your search for a bike!
Sarah

KnottedYet
10-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Surly Cross Check. $930. www.surlybikes.com

Very pleased with mine.

I'm 5'8" and ride a 52 cm.

Juligirli
10-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm also a new rider and recently got to 2008 Redline Conquest... it's a fun bike to ride and it's one of the cheaper cross bikes out there... their model one up from that seemed really nice too and a lot of people have it for racing (Conquest Pro) which I believe is still within your range.

Goodluck shopping!

SheFly
10-04-2007, 03:44 AM
You might also want to consider weight when you are shopping... Depending on how much you will be lifting/carrying your bike, you want it to be a little bit on the lighter side. Of course, this likely only applies if you are going to be racing!

Have fun shopping, and like others have said, be sure to get fit properly, because size DOES matter!

SheFly

awats
10-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Thank you for all of your replies!!! I really appreciate it! Any idea how heavy the Surly cross check is? Do racers use that bike or is it too heavy to pick up after an hour of cylocross? THANKS!

KnottedYet
10-06-2007, 08:08 AM
I haven't weighed my Cross Check, but before I put racks and fenders and other commuter-goodies on her she felt about the same as my other steel cyclocross, which the shop weighed at 21.5 lbs with everything on it.