PDA

View Full Version : Did you replace the saddle that came on your last bike

mimitabby
10-01-2007, 12:21 PM
why not? it would be interesting to see the statistics.

Kathi
10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
My last bike was custom. I picked all the components including my saddle. My mtn bike was stock but I bought my saddle and had the shop install it when I had the bike fitted.

I won't put my saddles on any more, I have the shop where I bought my bike do it. They have the measurements and can put it on exactly where it should be. If I tried to do it I'd be adjusting and adjusting it. They just ordered a new one for me. I'm probably paying full price but it's worth it to me to have it put on correctly.

DirtDiva
10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I've been through a few saddles on my mtb. The Bontrager that came on there wasn't particularly comfortable. Wore out its replacement (a WTB). Replaced the WTB with a Selle Italia that is fine for an hour, but no more than that. Just replaced that with a new (but different model) WTB.

Roadie still has the saddle it came with on there. It's alright, but not great. I think I'll try my new WTB on there sometime and see if that's better.

Zen
10-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Ah, the dreaded Bontrager was replaced with a Terry Falcon X

Eden
10-01-2007, 02:56 PM
My last bike came with a Specialized Jett - usually stock saddles are awful so I was totally suprised at how much I like it - so much I bought another one for the rain/commuter bike.

BikeDutchess
10-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I kept the saddle that came with my '03 Specialized Dolce Elite. Never had a problem with it. When that bike was replaced recently (under warranty) with the '08 model (which had a different stock saddle), I kept my '03 saddle. I figured I was not going to mess with something that was working for me!

7rider
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
My latest bike is also a custom, and I had a saddle sitting on a shelf waiting for the bike.
Prior to that, however, I bought my commuter. For that bike, the saddle - a Felt saddle of unknown lineage - came off immediately and I replaced it with my Terry Butterfly.

Pax
10-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Ah, the dreaded Bontrager was replaced with a Terry Falcon X

Ditto that.

Sheesh
10-01-2007, 04:19 PM
When I bought my Giant TCR, my shop let me try it with a couple of different saddles and I picked the one that I liked best (Vitesse). Since I already had a Specialized Allez, which I turned into my commuter bike, I bought a second Vitesse to put on it. When I sold the Specialized, I kept the saddle and put the old padded couch-type saddle on it for the new owner. I recently bought a Redline Conquest Pro, and switched out the stock saddle for my Vitesse which was sitting in a closet. I love my saddle! :D

wannaduacentury
10-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Well I voted yes for the road bike. It had a horrible saddle on it and I had test rode a Trek wsd and liked that saddle and it's been pretty good. I know I'll get a brooks one day :)

On the mtn bike I got 2 weeks ago, I kept the saddle and done at least 10 miles on it and it's not bad. Too soon to really tell, but it's not hideous to my backside so we'll see. Jenn

btw I got the Trek 3700 hardtail and love it- fun bike and perfect for just jumping on and riding.

mimitabby
10-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Wow, an incredible percentage of women DO NOT like the saddles that came on their bikes!!

OakLeaf
10-02-2007, 07:13 AM
I pulled the fi'zik saddle off my Cannondale Synapse right away because it didn't have a cutout. I replaced it with a Terry Liberator Ti just because that's what the shop had in stock. Didn't really know anything about fitting saddles, just that I really need a cutout.

Reading more on this board, I realize I probably need a wider saddle than the one I have, but it's been pretty comfortable for me compared to what I know.

michelem
10-02-2007, 09:08 AM
I replaced my saddle, but only the size, not the model. The mid-size saddle that came with my bike (Specialized Jett 143) was too wide and caused pain. I figured I needed a wider saddle, but LBS told me to go narrower. I was very skeptical, but once I swapped it out for the 130 -- Bliss. :)

So, it's not that I got a sucky saddle to begin with; it just wasn't the right size for me.

Eden
10-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Wow, an incredible percentage of women DO NOT like the saddles that came on their bikes!!

I think a lot of manufactuers intentionally do not put very good saddles on. They know a lot of people already have favorites so they don't bother.

Thorn
10-02-2007, 09:30 AM
But if nearly all of us swap out the saddle, why do they charge us for the saddle that comes with the bike? Many bikes no longer supply pedals, so why supply the saddle?

But, will the next question be "how many saddles did you try before you found one you liked?"? Or has that one already been asked?

skyhand
10-02-2007, 11:27 AM
saddle that came with my bike didn't work well for me. bought a brooks B-17 and it was comfortable right outta the box. had to adjust the tilt some, but now it's perfect. finally breaking in too! :)

RoadRaven
10-02-2007, 11:47 AM
I voted "yes, straight away".

I have a saddle I like, so I have put the same saddle on each of my bikes... buying a new one of the same brand for each extra pony in my stable
:)

SouthernBelle
10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
I voted yes, straight away, but it was really yes after a while.

Trek420
10-02-2007, 12:57 PM
1st road bike - changed from what came with to Avocet, when that wore out Terry, when that one wore out back to Avocet, Terry again, to a Sella Italia Lady gel which was love at first sit. I hope it wore out the parts of the &*^% who stole it :mad:

2nd road bike - specified the Sella Italia Lady Gel which is current fave

commutermobile - rode the cheap cheap cheap worthless POS cheap saddle into the ground because .... I liked it! :) :p When it completely wore down to the foam rubber .... it got the old Sella off road bike.

The freewheel - my LBS picked the Avocet because he knows it's one I like. :)

sgtiger
10-02-2007, 01:50 PM
The only items I kept from my old bike, when I went to my current set-up, was the Frogs and the Brooks B-72. It took me years to find a saddle that works for me, so I decided to go with that than even try the saddle that came spec'd with my bike. My bum is happy. :D

boy in a kilt
10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I've never had a stock saddle that I really liked all that much although my Davidson came close. It had a saddle that very closely resembled the old Selle Italia Turbo. That was my favorite saddle until I could actually afford a brooks.

Extra points for the retro grouches. Does anyone remember the old Lon Haldeman Brooks ads in Bicycling? I know a couple of you do.

When I bought my Trek, I went through quite a few saddles, including a couple of the anatomic models with cut outs and padding in various places. I think the most painful one was the Specialized anatomic model.

VeloVT
10-03-2007, 07:21 AM
I replaced the saddles on both bikes fairly quickly. It took me a few experiments to get it right but I found a saddle I really like (Fizik Arione) and now have it on both bikes.

BiK, funny you should mention the Specialized saddle as a source of particular agony. I don't know which model you tried -- but it seems to be such a popular saddle. However, my bf has a Specialized Alias right now, and neither of us are wild about it. I will say that it's light years better than my first experiment after discarding the Bontrager that came on my road bike though -- the Terry Damselfly. Not the right saddle for me at all!

elk
10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm a freak.
I changed my stock Specialized saddle even though it was comfortable...I had my heart set on a Brooks...

boy in a kilt
10-04-2007, 05:52 PM
BiK, funny you should mention the Specialized saddle as a source of particular agony. I don't know which model you tried -- but it seems to be such a popular saddle. However, my bf has a Specialized Alias right now, and neither of us are wild about it. I will say that it's light years better than my first experiment after discarding the Bontrager that came on my road bike though -- the Terry Damselfly. Not the right saddle for me at all!

I think it was an earlier incarnation fo the Alias. I vaugely remember trying another saddle of that sort. Men's Liberator I think.

It may be that I tend to sit forward on my saddles so the sides of the cut-outs applied very focused pressure on my perineum.

teawoman
10-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, I was expecting to have to replace mine, but I have gone 50k with no problems. It's a Selle Royal Viper for Women on a Giant OCR 1

KnottedYet
10-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Love my Brooks B67. Each of my bikes has one. Bliss for my butt.