PDA

View Full Version : Lake Maumelle- Little Rock

Aggie_Ama
09-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Yesterday DH and I were itching to ride after waking up in Little Rock. After wandering around town looking for a good bike shop we ended up calling CompetitiveCyclist.com. There listing was under Competitive Cyclist and it didn't occur to us that this was a dotcom site! The staff told us to drop by anyway. After giving us a tour of the facilities they sent us a GPS of a 35 miler around Lake Maumelle promising it wouldn't disappoint.

Wow! They were not lying. It is a beautiful and challenging. I need to look at the GPS file but I think it was over 1900 feet of climbing. There was one monster long climb that was possibly one of the longest climbs I have done. Great ride though, I HIGHLY recommend it if you have a day in Little Rock. And for those from Little Rock- I am jealous. :D

Tuckervill
09-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah, that's rugged terrain out there. Unfortunately, the city recently decided to allow development on the bank of Lake Maumelle, which is the city's water supply. You probably got one of the last good rides in!

Karen

Aggie_Ama
09-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Hmmm... It wasn't rugged at all. The roads were great and not to heavily traveled. We took AR 300 from Pinnacle Mountain to 113 to 10. That part of 10 had a great shoulder. We cut over on a little road called Barrett and ended at Pinnacle Mountain. Sad that this ride won't be feasible for long. :(

Tuckervill
10-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, I didn't know exactly where you rode, and I could have been thinking of Lake Winona, which is the other reservoir and which does NOT have development. It's further out 300.

I'm glad you had a good time in one of my favorite cities.

Karen