PDA

View Full Version : Spin Teaching...tips, any regrets?

Miranda
09-28-2007, 06:27 PM
I found spinning first before road cycling. Due to some health issues, I could no longer no impactive exercise, and was told biking was an option for me. I had always been a high impact aerobics class person before. Thankfully, the spinning fit the bill. Then, once in class a while, the roadies helped me find the joy of outside as well. I have been asked to get cert to teach spinning and am debating if it would change my love for it. One of my roadie guy friends said it "would kill my spirit to ride, and it would then become work". Maybe true. I have the fear of course of being in front of the class, as you can not make everyone happy. But, it is something I whole heartedly believe in for any fitness level. Also, I have a bit of both camps to offer as a potential instructor. There is one camp, more just cardio class people, that love it for the music/organization etc. The other camp, are the roadies, who like more of the technical style. We have different teachers that fit both with the experiences and style--but no one person that is of both. I guess for any of you ladies that teach, any thoughts or advice... or any other non-teaching ladies comments. Thanks!

AuntieK
09-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Wow! I totally could have written that post!

Becoming a Spinning instructor has been one of the best things I've done. I love my job! In no way has teaching lessened my love of riding outdoors or of the Spinning environment. The only time they conflict is when I'm tapering for a race, then I just teach my Spinning class off the bike. I do wish I would attend other instructors classes more...I do get tired of myself every once in a while. :rolleyes:

Everybody goes through the fear of being in front of the class. I used to be a very shy, introverted person. Becoming an instructor has helped me become much more outgoing, and I'm no longer afraid to speak in front of groups.

I think you can teach in a way that can make both the cardio-class people and the roadies, who do occasionally come indoors, happy. I have both come to my classes, and they keep coming back, so I must be doing something right.

So, I say go for it! You'll never know how you'll feel about it until you give it a try. You can always stop instructing if you find it doesn't work for you.

latelatebloomer
09-30-2007, 04:46 AM
My favorite, and IMHO the best spin instructors at my gym, are also cyclists. I think this is because they are more focused on fitness results through interval training and such rather than an hour-long stream of pure cardio and cheerleading/drill sargent hollers. I also know they get better results from their new spinners, even, or especially those with a lot of weight to lose. The very best instructor is a champion masters road and track racer who often teaches off the bike. He can walk around, check your HR, offer tips/encouragement, refill your water bottle, etc. He observes his spinners carefully and seems to have a clear idea of their status and improvement. His class are almost always full.
The non-cyclist spin instructors more often come in, jump on the bike, ride like maniacs for an hour, and go. Some people prefer them, I guess, but when I must take one of their classes, I ignore or modify their routines (push ups on the handle bars while doing high-cadence?:eek: how about I spin and then do real push ups on the floor, instead?)
I think of all the trainers at the gym, the spin instructors have the best opportunity to take unfit people under their wing and help them get real results. So I say, please go for it! Confront those front-of-the-room jitters (DH and I both did in the educational world and are now considered classroom naturals, hoho) and help people change their lives!:D

han-grrl
10-01-2007, 04:54 AM
hello Miranda

I teach spinning, and mountain biking, this summer i even worked at a mountain bike camp...

I found doing this WAS definitely too much. I did start to burn out.

I decided this fall not to teach at all, and focus on my personal training side of my business, i will tell you how things go.

As for certifications - choose wisely. They can be expensive to take, and to maintain. Mad Dog Spinning is what i have. The main draw back is no "apprenticeship" you are on your own trying to apply what you have learned.

I love teaching spinning, the environment is fantastic and it definitely helps that i race and ride. I have found that i dont "trust" instructors that don't have true riding experience.

Those are some random thoughts.

Enjoy and have fun!
Hannah

Miranda
10-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Thx ladies for the thoughts on the teaching :) . Still thinking about it, and good points made to help me decide.

Raindrop
10-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm an outdoor cyclist AND an indoor cycling instructor that has been at it since 1996. In no way my enthusiasm waned from teaching indoor cycling. In fact, I was strictly a mountain biker when I started teaching and ended up converting or at least changing my primary focus to road biking after teaching the classes for awhile.

I do find that my classes attract more people that include cyclists and competetive riders as well as the more typical member looking to get fit and/or lose some fat.

I didn't come from an aerobic background and that is probably one of the reasons I never thought about making my class choreographed aerobic work. I run my own in-home personal training business and have always focused on basing my classes on training with a purpose which means the members know what the focus of each class will be and how it can benefit them.

By the way, I was (and still am in a non-class situation) an introvert, but it's something that's easily overcome when you are following a passion. I hope you seriously consider getting certified and start teaching. There are way too many classes taught by people that want to "jazz" up a cycling program by adding non-cycling contraindicated stuff.

OakLeaf
10-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Just another thought.

I teach aerobics, not spinning. (Indoor bikes hurt my knees, and besides I hate cardio machines.)

Before I started teaching, I did aerobics almost every day. I started teaching about the same time that I came back to cycling. So I'm not getting any less cardio than before.

But it's definitely a different dynamic when one instructor goes to another instructor's class. If attendance is high at your gym, you may not even be able to go to other instructors' classes if the bikes are filled by paying members. Putting together a class is more work than I ever imagined, and I definitely would not want to teach every day.

Just something to think about with the winter months approaching and less light for outdoor riding... how will you get your cardio on the days you don't teach?

Miranda
10-12-2007, 06:21 PM
More good points. OK, I'm thinking about the comment on going into another instructors class. Do you mean to take the class, or sub to teach the class? I think you mean just to take it, with the teacher knowing you teach as well...with perhaps the idea that one's work is being "critiqued" by a fellow instructor?

Some of the teachers, I noticed on the side, there is a bit of gossip. Which is not me at all. Just a negative waste of energy.

At first, I was a bit of a spoiled brat cry baby to a diff teacher from the one I "loved". Then, after having to mix it up, by schedule forced alone, I developed a humbled appreciation truly for all the teachers and the unique values they incorportated into their classes.

The combination of them, made me such a better spinner, and lead to the one technical teacher helping me find the road. Now, another cofession, of something I went thru, post becoming a road rider, is that I found myself a bit snobbish again, towards some of the teaching techniques.

Some I think go against the fundamentals of teaching a group class to all levels & spinning in general. Some go against what I know to do on the road. Resistence is one example.

I'm still learning about road riding, but as a new cyclists, one thing I used to do, that aided in killing a prior knee injury I had, was to push too hard of a gear. Now, I use my cadence, vs a knee stressing gear, to get me what I want, and my injury likes that better.

If I am not up to the resistence drills to the fullest in spin class, because my knee is maybe sore from a prior day's outside ride etc, I use my cadence for my intensity and modify. Or use same cadence, and less resistence.

One teacher razzes me about it, and once on her "walk around class" (which I personally hate as a spinner--I'm a responsible adult, in a voluntary adult class to benefit myself, I do not need a babysitter to announce my stats mid class and make a big whoop about it--on the whole, I'm all "the animal" that I'm capable of giving, so back off) she turned my resistence dial mid drill, and about blew my knee out--hurt, had my eyes closed, I didn't know she was there until she did it. I could have choked her.

Also, my asthma meds just spike up my heart rate a bit, so I know I will be higher than the average spinner in class, it's a side effect, but my doc's ok with it, my heart can take it etc., and she'll razz me about that. I have said, "ok, I'm modifiing for a reason etc...", general good class rule of thumb for things to be safe. Just irritating, and a bit dangerous on the day she messed with my tension dial.

So, ok, on my snob critique, those things would be something I would NOT do as an instructor. Thx for listening to the rant!

Crankin
10-14-2007, 07:21 AM
These comments made me laugh. I taught aerobics for 10 years and things inside the gym haven't changed much! I DID get burned out on teaching aerobics and was quite happy to be a consumer of the services. A couple of years after that, I started cycling outdoors.
I have thought about teaching spin, but I know that the pressure of "performing" could get to me. And the clients do "talk" some nasty gossip about instructors. I am not afraid of being in front of the class (I taught kids for 30 years), but you all are correct in stating that there are 2 types of people who teach spin... outdoor cyclists and aerobic instructors. I find the groupie aerobic people tend to like the aerobic instructors who do all the stuff I consider to be contraindicated, like super high cadence while doing a standing run on the bike. The outdoor cyclist instructors seem to be able to meet the needs of a wider range of clients. Well, I am still riding outdoors and I guess I will be deciding about getting certified soon.

willadean
01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Miranda- have you become an instructor yet? i just came across this forum, and quickly found this post. If it is at all avalible to you in your area, seriosly consider training with Les Mills. The spinning program is called RPM (Raw Power in Motion). It is headed by a world ranked mountain biker, everything you are taught is up to date and every 3 months you get new material and education. the website is lesmills dot com. It seriously is an amazing program and to me is much more simular to outdoor riding than a traditional spin class. you can check out my profile if you wish, lessmills dot com slash willadean
I had knee surgery and this class rehabed my knee. it is amazing.!!

han-grrl
01-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I hope everyone is doing well!

I wanted to add some comments on teaching and spinning. One of my pet peeves are instructors who use their class teaching time for their own workouts. I know the truth is, that is why they might have become instructors and that is the only time, BUT, your responsibility as an instructor is the safety of your class. You cannot possibly pay attention to your participants while you are trying to maintain and 85% max HR spin. I think it is important for instructors to walk around the class to check that breathing is ok and pick up towels or refill bottles. You would be amazed how students will forget to breathe, or maybe their towels will fall, and then they pull something trying to stay on the bike and reach for their towels.

Anyway, as an update - I have decided to give my career in fitness a break and i have taken on a full time job as an environmental scientist. After five years of teaching mtb, spinning, yoga, and personal training, i have found that yes, training has become work and no longer fun. I will continue to do some PT (more like consulting, seeing my clients on a monthly basis) and my annual womens mtb clinics (they are so inspiring to me, a great way to start the summer).

I'm actually signed up for a spin class tonight. I haven't been a participant in a spin class in at least a year, and i haven't taught classes in wow, also a year. We shall see!

remember to keep life well balanced - mind body spirit -

H

han-grrl
01-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, i managed my first spin class in a long long time. I enjoyed letting go and not having to teach. It was pretty good but here are my thoughts:

1) my instructor never introduced herself, nor did she do any safety checks (knobs, shoelaces, water)
2) her cues were confusing and she was using technical jargon, which i knew about, but i think many people did not.
3) she never reminded us to drink water or check our breathing. from experience i know people need to be reminded.

like i said, i enjoyed being the participant, it was fun and music was good.

smile

Han

Starfish
01-26-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm not an instructor, just a participant. My only real input (and I think someone else said it, too) is this:

Just hold it all loosely, and remember that just because you start a course of training, or teaching, it doesn't mean you can't quit at any time if you discover you don't like any of the effects of it in your life.

Just stay in touch with how you're feeling about it all, and go with what gives you energy and satisfaction. If it stops doing that, consider what change you need to make at that time.

han-grrl
01-27-2008, 06:37 AM
well said starfish - yes there is a big difference of teaching spinning for fun, versus taking on a career in fitness. I definitely made my entrance into this career quite gradually, teaching mtb and spinning first, then getting into PT and other types of classes. This worked for me, because i was able along each step to figure out where to go next, and what education i needed to get there.

After 5 years, I have decided i have enjoyed this journey, but i needed a new direction.

You also have to remember that in terms of a fitness career- its a very physcially demanding job - and you have to think of what you will do (or may want to do or what your BODY will want to do) after working 5, 10 20 years...My good friend after 25 years of teaching cardio, has had a hip replacement. She loves what she does, would never give it up, but over time, this is what has happened to her body. she has been doing this FULL TIME for 25 years. This is different than taking on a couple of classes a week.

Just some food for thought (as always).

Han

velogirl
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
You also have to remember that in terms of a fitness career- its a very physcially demanding job - and you have to think of what you will do (or may want to do or what your BODY will want to do) after working 5, 10 20 years...My good friend after 25 years of teaching cardio, has had a hip replacement. She loves what she does, would never give it up, but over time, this is what has happened to her body. she has been doing this FULL TIME for 25 years. This is different than taking on a couple of classes a week.

Han

Han, is there really a causal relationship there? My dear father had a hip replacement. He never did anything close to fitness in his life. So can I say that not taking a fitness class caused him to have a hip replacement? No, just like you can't say that your friend's hip replacement was caused by 25 years of fitness instructing.

If you are a good instructor/trainer/coach, you will take precautions to ensure that you don't damage your body (or your ears from the music). I know folks who have worked in the fitness industry for decades and they are fit and healthy.

Don't let the fear of long-term effects dissuade you from becoming a fitness professional. I think most would agree that the potential positive benefits far outweigh the negative impact.

Lorri

han-grrl
01-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Actually, yes the hip injuries were due to years of teaching. But that's her body, and every body is different and will react differently. Even my body screamed for me to stop last year, with a ruptured ulcer. And i thought i was doing everything right. I didn't realize how hard I was pushing myself.

Don't get me wrong - I love teaching and training my clients, its absolutely rewarding. I am playing a bit of devil's advocate. I saw many people in my classes start the program (fitness and lifestyle management) because they love exercising and wanted to make a career out of it. I saw many of them not continue because the reality is as a fitness professional you have to create your own work. Its absolutely amazing when the work comes in, but it doesn't just fall into your lap. You need to take some crappy jobs sometimes to get some experience. Many of them found out that the world doesn't like to exercise as much as they do. That can be A LOT of negativity. I've heard my share of whining and complaining about exercise. But then you get the amazing clients - like the one I saw last week. Dropped 10% body fat, is leaner, doesn't suffer from back pain any more and is so happy she called me in the fall. An amazing feeling. Or the client that sends me a thank you note for helping her. It made me cry!

So the point is - a career in fitness is very fun and rewarding - your helping people get healthy - i mean what an awesome job - but there are aspects, like impacts to your health both physical and mental that can be challenging.

Be well
Han

tulip
01-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I heard a radio program fairly recently about several gung-ho aerobics instructors who started in the 80s with the really high-impact aerobics (and shiny tights and legwarmers, no doubt), and kept doing it for hours every day, day in and day out over the ensuing decades. Frankly, they all seemed rather obsessive about it, not cross training, not taking breaks, doing it for 4 hours a day and more. Each of them have severe hip injuries, and some have had hip replacements. They are in their 40s and 50s now, way too young for that kind of procedure in an otherwise healthy and active person. Some are still bouncing around!

Bear in mind that aerobics have changed considerably over the past 25+ years. We used to do them on hard concrete floors in poorly-designed shoes with the belief that the higher we jumped (and jumped and jumped), the more in-shape we would get. Instructors were rarely trained in anatomy and physiology, something I would expect a personal trainer to be conversant in.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems like the fitness industry has evolved considerably. That's positive for the rest of us who rely on all y'all to help us get in and stay in shape, avoid injury, and get healthier. Thanks so much for all you do!

velogirl
01-29-2008, 12:17 PM
I guess my question is this. Neither Han's friend nor Tulip's story are scientific control group studies -- they are anecdotal. Would Han's friend or the step instructors have had a hip replacement if they chose a different line of work? We don't know that.

Just because someone is a fitness instructor and they also had a hip replacement doesn't mean that being a fitness instructor caused the need for a hip replacement.

Being overweight can lead to the need for a hip replacement.

Auto-immune disorders (like RA) can lead to the need for a hip replacement.

Childhood injuries can later lead to the need for a hip replacement.

I don't have time to find this (but I bet Zen could). What is the percentage of adults over the age of 50 (or 60 or whatever) who has to have a hip replacement? I bet it's actually pretty high.

tulip
01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
I guess my question is this. Neither Han's friend nor Tulip's story are scientific control group studies -- they are anecdotal. Would Han's friend or the step instructors have had a hip replacement if they chose a different line of work? We don't know that...

Anecdotal evidence can be quite valuable. These people are in their 40s (that's young, BTW), healthy except for their obsessive exercise behaviors over decades (like hours a day, every single day, no rest days--fitness instructors these days would not encourage this), no RA, not overweight (perhaps underweight). I would wager that experts here and elsewhere would agree that the methods used in the 80s--high impact routines with poor equipment, inadequate training and rest over decades--can also cause joint problems. Hell, I can't even run on a regular basis because of shinsplints, so I ride a bike and I swim when I can find a pool. Lots of people who do high impact sports have to ease up after years and decades of such impact--runners, basketball players, tennis players, iceskaters...Would their knees go out if they didn't play sports? We don't know.

I would add to Velo's list that obsessive, repetitive exercise over decades can also lead to physical problems. I don't think anyone here is blasting fitness instructors, far from it. Han is a fitness instructor. But we know alot more now than we did when the aerobics dance craze was going on. And thank goodness there are those of you out there who do know better and can instruct the rest of us on the right way to do things--on both ends of the scale.

Crankin
01-30-2008, 03:48 AM
A most interesting conversation that mirrors my experience in the fitness world. I was one of those obsessive instructors in the eighties, leg warmers and all. Thankfully, I rarely did more than one class a day, I lifted weights, and I always took one day a week off. And, I was certified, in the first group of people who were certified by ACE. But before my gym put in the wood floor, I had horrible shin splints and plantar fasciitis. I also developed a bunion that is screaming to be fixed now. I taught for about ten years and got really burned out. During the time I was teaching, I weighed 90-95 pounds and was constantly being questioned about eating disorders. It was just over exercise and I was try to compete with the college aged girls I was working with (I was in my thirties).
What I found was the clients mirrored the kids I had in class in middle school. Some were grateful and appreciative, some seemed bored, and some complained all of the time. I was going to take the ACE personal training exam, but after really looking at the conditions of working in a gym, I've decided to go another route. I'm applying to a grad program in clinical mental health counseling; the program I will be doing is holistically oriented, stressing the mind body connection. I hope to work with people with eating and exercise issues, but not directly doing the training.

han-grrl
01-30-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm not saying that being a fitness instructor will eventually require hip replacing. I said that is what happened to my friend. What I have seen is that teaching for a long time, does lead to injuries, no matter how much you try to avoid them. Good flooring, good shoes, yes they help, but over time, teaching 4,5,6 classes a day, which I know some people do, standing all day long. Yes that does play a role in fatiguing the body. and it isn't always obvious right away. Until suddenly something major happens, i have heard of perfectly healthy trainers suddenly throwing out their backs or trying to teach with a taped up sprained ankle, because if they don't teach, they don't get paid. There are no sick days with this job. Because we work on contract, and like i said, no sick days. So it can get hard.

Anyway, enough. Do i have any regrets being an instructor. none. i love it. I have learned a lot about running my business, the industry, i have met wonderful people, and have had wonderful mentors - which i do recommend, find yourself a mentor to help you through this process.

Keepmovin
02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I just wanted to throw out that I'm impressed by the conversation & dialog on this subject. I've recently discovered spinning classes and find it addictingly fun in a way I never realized. I'm pretty much an avid mountain biker and figured the static room couldn't offer anything....but it did! :D

I've taken 4-5 instructors now and what I find really makes the difference is the music...you almost need a dj spinning the tunes to keep things lively.

There's so much psychology going on in the room it's amazing....people faking crank-up's, instructors pausing to sit up on their bike pretending to look-out over their flock (when in reality they just demo'd some intense power and couldn't keep it up and needed a break). Instructors singing along with the music...just all sorts of stuff....it's hilarious...but all in good effort.

I'm quite certain the body is better off with exercise...but many of us are probably going well past the "optimal" level in terms of benefits vs. wear/tear. Our bodies don't last forever and they do wear-down....but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Eat proper, take good supplements (joint stuff), avoid high-impact, focus on low-impact, wear proper gear and enjoy the beauty of your body and the blessing of life. Aw crap, I've been watching too much Oprah again :eek::D

Miranda
02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Well girls, have not checked in a while... crazy with other nonfun life stuff, and an injury of diff nature (non fitness/spin related) has kept me away (here and spin/gym).

Thinking I'm getting close to returning the to the gym. But, wow... some interesting talks in this thread of mine. I did complete the Madd Dog Atheletics spin instructors' class. Have not started teaching yet due to above said injury situation. I need just some recoup hang out time before I would dive in.

One thing I didn't like the few times I returned to gym post training class, before I got hurt, was the urgency from a couple fellow instructors to take over their difficult schedule classes:mad:. WHOA girls... need to get my feet wet first:eek:!

This pressure made the gym not fun to walk thru the door:(. That is a tragedy. I think I will do it, but when I feel ready. I don't like the pressure of being attacked by people I pass in the hallways about "so WHEN are you gonna do it?".

Part of that comment is just me being a bit grumpy and tainted. A few of the non-instructors class mates did pay me a compliment in asking. One gal said, "O... M! I'm so excited to hear that you will be able to teach us in class now... you are such an inspiration in your love for spinning, and being a cyclists... I can't wait to take one of your classes". I was a bit floored by that:o. I guess if anything, yes, my true love for the activity as beneficially to anyone is genuine, and must come thru.

I did really find the knowledge of the training instructor awesome tho, regardless of my teaching or not:cool:.